Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  Old  January 11th, 2009, 7:45pm     #61
vtvixen469 is offline
vtvixen469
Master Sweeper
 
vtvixen469's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 3,676
Location: Vermont, wishing for GA!
I really think that I could make this one! Is it possible to pay for the convention but not stay at the hotels there? It is a bit over 2.5 hours each way drive for me, but with the new Jeep I could handle it well. I don't have to attend every second of the convention (though I may want to?) do I?

THANK YOU OLS VOTERS, MY BEAUTYREST IS HERE!!
ALLOW ME TO EXPLAIN PEOPLE TO YOU...MADEA STYLE. I MADEA
Reply With Quote
  Old  January 11th, 2009, 7:51pm     #62
sdadolf is offline
sdadolf
Master Sweeper

 
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 1,068
Location: San Diego Area (Poway, CA)
Local attendees often do not stay at the convention hotel.

The convention and hotel rooms are separate matters, separate prices.
Reply With Quote
  Old  January 11th, 2009, 9:59pm     #63
Terfool is offline
Terfool
Senior Sweeper
 
Terfool's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 504
Location: Nutmeg State CT
Well I have been researching the GREAT state of New Hampshire in prep for
the convention and a visit. I am definitely hitting the famous RED ARROW
Diner. Many Presidents and candidates stop here for eats. It was also
featured on the food network show Diners, Dives and Drive INs. It is online
and can be found here. I am going for the banana cream pie and as an
entree possibly the pork pie. We shall see....lol.

Link: http://www.redarrowdiner.com/

I also found this place which is about an hour away from Manchester. It
is an adventure business and they do ZIP LINE tree canopy tours. I am
considering it.

http://www.alpinesnowmobiling.com/Zi...Hampshire.html

Thought I would share my findings......

Terry

Last edited by Terfool; January 11th, 2009 at 10:00pm. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote
  Old  January 11th, 2009, 10:04pm     #64
Terfool is offline
Terfool
Senior Sweeper
 
Terfool's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 504
Location: Nutmeg State CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtvixen469 View Post
I really think that I could make this one! Is it possible to pay for the convention but not stay at the hotels there? It is a bit over 2.5 hours each way drive for me, but with the new Jeep I could handle it well. I don't have to attend every second of the convention (though I may want to?) do I?
Have you been to a convention before? I have attended Baltimore and Arizona.
My answer would be yes. Granted no two conventions are alike...but the 2 I have
attended have been very busy and action packed. If it is a matter of cost, perhaps you could split the room cost with someone from a sweeps club or perhaps on OLS.

Terry
Reply With Quote
  Old  January 12th, 2009, 2:07am     #65
uclafan is offline
uclafan
Master Sweeper
 
uclafan's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,960
Location: Northridge, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terfool View Post
Well I have been researching the GREAT state of New Hampshire in prep for the convention and a visit. I am definitely hitting the famous RED ARROW
Diner. Many Presidents and candidates stop here for eats. It was also
featured on the food network show Diners, Dives and Drive INs. It is online
and can be found here. I am going for the banana cream pie and as an
entree possibly the pork pie. We shall see....lol. Terry

Funny you should bring up the Red Arrow Diner. I just saw the diner featured on the Travel Channel Samantha Brown's "Great Weekends". It does seem to have a cozy atmosphere and was also a MUST see on my Convention Check List.

Looking over the pie selection, I'll give their Brownie Cream Pie a shot. Hey maybe we can just have a pie buffet sampling each others selections. LOL For an Entree, I think one of their Blue Plate Specials actually served on a blue plate, perhaps American Chop Suey.

Will definitely walk from the hotel to the diner so I can work off some of these delicious treats. My Weight Watchers Way of eating may just go out the window when we make this trip.

Please use the link below, help me earn extras swagbucks when naming me as the referral and then search so your "Swag Bucks" will begin adding up too. http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/meuclafan
Reply With Quote
  Old  January 12th, 2009, 2:18am     #66
vtvixen469 is offline
vtvixen469
Master Sweeper
 
vtvixen469's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 3,676
Location: Vermont, wishing for GA!
I have never been to a convention. I may have to skip one, maybe two days and I don't want to go to the expense of paying for a motel room and then not using it. I have a bit of time to plan it all out, have to get the Jeep first. But I am thinking I will travel back and forth for Thursday and Friday. Then maybe we can get a cheap room for Saturday with checkout on Sunday. We can act like tourists all the way home Sunday.

If anyone is driving up through Bennington, VT....let me know. I live here and can get passes for the Monument and a few other bits of fun!

THANK YOU OLS VOTERS, MY BEAUTYREST IS HERE!!
ALLOW ME TO EXPLAIN PEOPLE TO YOU...MADEA STYLE. I MADEA
Reply With Quote
  Old  January 12th, 2009, 5:48pm     #67
Terfool is offline
Terfool
Senior Sweeper
 
Terfool's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 504
Location: Nutmeg State CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by uclafan View Post
Funny you should bring up the Red Arrow Diner. I just saw the diner featured on the Travel Channel Samantha Brown's "Great Weekends". It does seem to have a cozy atmosphere and was also a MUST see on my Convention Check List.

Looking over the pie selection, I'll give their Brownie Cream Pie a shot. Hey maybe we can just have a pie buffet sampling each others selections. LOL For an Entree, I think one of their Blue Plate Specials actually served on a blue plate, perhaps American Chop Suey.

Will definitely walk from the hotel to the diner so I can work off some of these delicious treats. My Weight Watchers Way of eating may just go out the window when we make this trip.
Ok I am going to have to reconsider my choices. The blue plate specials sound
so good! UCLAfan...........I will be there for the buffet of pie! I say the heck with
the Weight Watchers for convention days. I also saw the travel channel special
with Samatha Brown. She also went to Flo's hot dogs. It is about half an hour away
in Portsmouth NH. We should consider meeting up at the Red Arrow. Dining with company
is always most enjoyable.

On another note, I would also like to check out the Frank Wright Lloyd house that
is in the area. I just finished reading the fiction novel [u]Loving Frank[u]. It is fiction but
based on a real love affair. Anyways, it has re-newed my interest in
his work.

Terry
Reply With Quote
  Old  January 13th, 2009, 10:26pm     #68
vtvixen469 is offline
vtvixen469
Master Sweeper
 
vtvixen469's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 3,676
Location: Vermont, wishing for GA!
Ohh Pie buffet sounds yummy!

THANK YOU OLS VOTERS, MY BEAUTYREST IS HERE!!
ALLOW ME TO EXPLAIN PEOPLE TO YOU...MADEA STYLE. I MADEA
Reply With Quote
  Old  January 14th, 2009, 2:06am     #69
uclafan is offline
uclafan
Master Sweeper
 
uclafan's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,960
Location: Northridge, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtvixen469 View Post
Ohh Pie buffet sounds yummy!


OK maybe we can set something up before we go. Possibly put a note on the message board and get a group from OLS to visit the diner for this unusual buffet.

Please use the link below, help me earn extras swagbucks when naming me as the referral and then search so your "Swag Bucks" will begin adding up too. http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/meuclafan
Reply With Quote
  Old  January 14th, 2009, 5:18pm     #70
Terfool is offline
Terfool
Senior Sweeper
 
Terfool's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 504
Location: Nutmeg State CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by uclafan View Post
OK maybe we can set something up before we go. Possibly put a note on the message board and get a group from OLS to visit the diner for this unusual buffet.
Sounds like a plan! We can post it right before the convention and meet up
with everyone at the diner. Looking forward to putting a few OLS faces with
names.

Terry
Reply With Quote
  Old  January 16th, 2009, 11:24am     #71
Frau10125 is offline
Frau10125
Senior Sweeper
 
Frau10125's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 432
Location: Boston, MA
What goes on at the convention?
I've never been to one, and would like to since its so close. I did find out that i can't just pay for a day pass, so if i choose certain days to go to, i wanna pick the best ones.

thanks
Reply With Quote
  Old  January 17th, 2009, 10:54am     #72
JNBP is offline
JNBP
Junior Sweeper
 
JNBP's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 6
Location: Kentucky
How 'bout a lexington or louisville convention in Kentucky??

Reply With Quote
  Old  January 17th, 2009, 8:05pm     #73
sdadolf is offline
sdadolf
Master Sweeper

 
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 1,068
Location: San Diego Area (Poway, CA)
We held the national sweepstakes converntion in Louisville 6 or 7 years ago.

-- Steve
Reply With Quote
  Old  March 20th, 2009, 11:14pm     #74
TaniaNH is offline
TaniaNH
Sweeper

 
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 280
Location: New Hampshire
Check out the new video link on the convention website to take a virtual tour of the area immediately surrounding the convention center or a video containing some beautiful views of New Hampshire.

http://www.nh2009.com/id44.html
Reply With Quote
  Old  July 8th, 2009, 12:11pm     #75
parkerozgood is offline
parkerozgood
Senior Sweeper
 
parkerozgood's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 771
Location: Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by csandfs View Post
We can add onto that convention hosts list that 2010 will be in Minnesota--this was announced over the weekend at the 2008 San Antonio convention!
Alright. I can't wait

It Takes A Big Man To Cry, It Takes A Bigger Man To Laugh At That Man!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 3:15am.