Old  June 30th, 2006, 3:04pm     #16
sdadolf
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbsocial
Brent and I would love to have an updated copy when you are done revising
Just send an email to me at: sdadolf@san.rr.com with your snail mail address and I'll add you to the mail list when the new book is available.
  Old  June 30th, 2006, 3:12pm     #17
sdadolf
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesterPester
I would love a copy too. I am thinking we really need a Vegas convention, but with very few in the sweeps group there, I am thinking it's an impossibility. Sure would be fun though!
We have tried several times to have a club host a convention in Las Vegas. Six or seven years ago we had a volunteer from Las Vegas (forgot his name) who wanted to do that, but he wanted the convention to be downtown, instead of on the strip....downtown was said to be less expensive. The convention attendees didn't want that.

We actually have a back-up plan to hold a convention in Las Vegas, if we find no club volunteering one year. We would have the convention hosted/managed by a group of us determined to keep the process going. We'd use Las Vegas as the place. We almost had to use that plan a few years ago, but now we seem to have volunteer clubs as hosts for the next 3 or 4 years so we are ok...for now.

Nowadays with the electronic communication we have at our disposal, the convention host really doesn't have to live in the city where the convention is to be. I've already hosted the convention twice in San Diego...once in 1995, then again in 2004. I've wondered if when my turn comes up again if instead of doing it again in San Diego I should consider Las Vegas.

The only problem I see is my perception of the high cost for a good location in Vegas.
  Old  June 30th, 2006, 4:45pm     #18
pestkaj
Gone Camping

Steve- we so need to talk about my caption contest entry. I got ripped off on that. I mean some of those winners were funny but none of them worked "schlong' into their entry, now did they??
  Old  June 30th, 2006, 4:50pm     #19
sdadolf
Master Sweeper

Smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by pestkaj
Steve- we so need to talk about my caption contest entry. I got ripped off on that. I mean some of those winners were funny but none of them worked "schlong' into their entry, now did they??
You know the old saying...."the decision of the judges is FINAL."

That's what good with being the judge.

Next time, you can host a contest, and then you can be the judge.
  Old  June 30th, 2006, 5:07pm     #20
JesterPester
Senior Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdadolf

OMG, that would be scarey! I am only imagine what sort of caption contest pestkaj would come up with. Bet it would be fun though.
  Old  June 30th, 2006, 5:20pm     #21
ignoramoose
Master Sweeper
Baby Momma

Quote:

How does one go about being a speaker at the convention? I know several folks from OLS that I think would make excellent speakers.
  Old  June 30th, 2006, 5:21pm     #22
kbsocial
Grand Master Sweeper
Administrator
Queen Peep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignoramoose
How does one go about being a speaker at the convention? I know several folks from OLS that I think would make excellent speakers.

Gotta contact the next hosts and tell 'em!
  Old  June 30th, 2006, 5:26pm     #23
sdadolf
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignoramoose
Please don't take this personally, but the hosts have a responsibility to find not only knowledgeable speakers, but those who can present well.

It is often very easy to find someone who is an expert in their field, it is another to find someone who can present their info in a way that is concise, articulate, and useful to the audience.

And, of course, the speaker needs to present a subject that the majority of the audience will find interesting.
  Old  June 30th, 2006, 5:31pm     #24
sweeps aku
Master Sweeper

Might I add, that Steve's speech, in Scottsdale, was great!!

LUCK & LOVE!
  Old  June 30th, 2006, 5:34pm     #25
pestkaj
Gone Camping

Quote:
Please don't take this personally, but the hosts have a responsibility to find not only knowledgeable speakers, but those who can present well.

It is often very easy to find someone who is an expert in their field, it is another to find someone who can present their info in a way that is concise, articulate, and useful to the audience.

And, of course, the speaker needs to present a subject that the majority of the audience will find interesting.

Not sure why anyone would take that personally??

Is there some sort of formal process for auditioning a speaker or choosing topics?
  Old  June 30th, 2006, 5:57pm     #26
sdadolf
Master Sweeper

Smile
I've given some sort of "Internet Sweeping" talk every year for the past 10 years. I have talked on managing EMail, searching, finding local sweeps online, selling unwanted prizes via ebay, various sweeping tools, etc.

I've tried to vary my talk each year by taking a different online sweeping aspect....so as to not become boring. And, also I've tried to be concise and pointed on an aspect or two.

Each year I've suggested that maybe the audience is tired of having me talk each year. But the hosts have said that (1) half the audience each year are at their first convention, (2) each year people are more experienced and like to learn even more, and (3) they know I'm available.

It would actually be nice if there were some new speakers. I'd be happy to listen for a change.

I had actually planned to sit in the audience this year and spend time listening, and talking to other attendees. Instead, I eneded up never sitting down for 3 1/2 days.

If there are some here who have a good topic, I recommend you contact the 2007 hosts and let them know. They are definitely looking for guest speakers.
  Old  June 30th, 2006, 6:00pm     #27
pestkaj
Gone Camping

So does that mean the speakers and topics for next year are already chosen? I would love to see the topics/speakers posted or listed ahead of time so I have an idea if I will want to attend every day.
  Old  June 30th, 2006, 7:26pm     #28
risavjl
Master Sweeper

Vallgurl, if you go to the forums and click on '2006 Convention' there are threads that talk about pre-convention stuff. On KB's initial thread it gives the link to the Convention page that has ALL the info (if it's still up). That would help a lot. There's much more there that's simply funny. Good Luck, hope you find what you're looking for!

risa
A dewdrop can exalt us like the music of the sun
yes
  Old  June 30th, 2006, 7:30pm     #29
risavjl
Master Sweeper

Also, Steve, I found your speech quite excellent and thanks for all the work you did. And the gal too, forgot her name, I forget most names...Donna? She was great and I adored her banquet attire!

risa
A dewdrop can exalt us like the music of the sun
yes
  Old  July 2nd, 2006, 4:08pm     #30
easum
Junior Sweeper

As a first time attendee at the 2006 Convention I wanted to add my 2 cents worth to this thread. The cost of the Convention itself is a SUPER bargain, I don't know how the folks putting on this convention were able to do it on a measly $145 - my hats off to them for a TERRIFIC job.

Now to the point I wish to make, by the time I figure in the cost of airfare to Arizona (from the east coast) and hotel (which was a bargain at the Conference rate I might add) plus food and rental car the Conference overall was not worth attending. If they ever have it my home town again (I missed it when it was held in my hometown as I was not doing Sweeps at the time) I will attend but otherwise I will not be back.

The major useful piece of info I gained from the entire conference was about this website and if you're reading this then you already know about it. I met only a couple of people while I was in Phoenix (most people come as part of a Sweeps Club) so if you're going alone you will most likely be sitting in the hotel room at night with nothing to do. If you do belong to a Sweeps Club then attending may be a very good experience.

Thanks and Good Luck to all of you!