Old  April 4th, 2018, 6:58am     #1
cookiegirl123
Senior Sweeper

So angry about insurance
I just found out yesterday that my medical insurance is going to skyrocket (for me at least). It is now going to cost me $220 more a month than what I am currently paying. Being a single mother with a low income already, this is really going to hurt me. The kicker is that the insurance is not getting better either; just much, much worse. We used to only have to pay a copay at the doctor's office. Now, we must meet our $1000 deductible first before they pay anything at the doctor, we must still pay a copay each time that we go that does not go toward our deductible (it just goes to the insurance company) and we must pay 20% of the visit if we go to their doctors and 40% if we go to other doctors.

So, now my paycheck is going to be almost non-existent and I'm not going to be able to afford to take either one of us to the doctor or dentist in the future. I'm getting nothing out of it. I thought briefly about dropping it but my son has asthma and he has to have his medications which are also doubling in price. They gave us a big speech about how we should get generics and save money and how they are just as good, and they are, but none of the asthma medications or inhalers that he uses come in generic. I'm literally going to be working for insurance that we don't use very often.

I'm so discouraged that I spent a good portion of the day yesterday crying when I got a moment alone.
  Old  April 4th, 2018, 9:28pm     #2
Brittles
Master Sweeper

That's an outrageous increase. What Ins. company?

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
  Old  April 5th, 2018, 8:02am     #3
cookiegirl123
Senior Sweeper

It is a State of SC insurance program so I guess I shouldn't expect anything less from them.

We started out with Blue Cross Blue Shield which was a really good insurance plan for us. They decided that was too much and switched us to some plan that no one has ever heard of, Health Plans Inc. (which sounds like an insurance plan that The RoadRunner would have or something) which was more expensive and covered less and two years later, they are switching us to this state plan which apparently everyone that has it, hates it according to what I have found by poking around online.
  Old  April 5th, 2018, 2:56pm     #4
Annie
Grand Master Sweeper
Founding Member

Any chance you can get his medication from Canada which I believe is much cheaper?
  Old  April 5th, 2018, 4:08pm     #5
cookiegirl123
Senior Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie View Post
Any chance you can get his medication from Canada which I believe is much cheaper?
I have a neighbor that does that with his son's medication but I haven't really thought a lot about it in the past. It may be a good idea for me to look into it now.
  Old  April 7th, 2018, 1:49pm     #6
Brittles
Master Sweeper

Depending on what medications he needs for the asthma, some of the companies have deals. Like Breo will let you get it for $10 a month for a year.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
  Old  April 7th, 2018, 3:32pm     #7
mudrunnersmom
Master Sweeper

Does SC have an insurance support program for low income people who are employed by a company that offers health insuance but who cannot pay for it? Wisconsin does. Does SC offer CHP? Medicaid?When I was first divorced and working a not low low income job but not great, and the insurance cost essentially a little more than one of my take home paychecks, it was rough . I did notknow about CHP or Medicaid, never thought about it and late found out we would have qualified for now cost Medicaid/CHP. Found out later my oncome was such that we could have gotten food stamps to. I never even thought about checking.

"“If ever there is tomorrow when we're not together... there is something you must always remember. You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. But the most important thing is, even if we're apart... I'll always be with you.”
― A.A. Milne, Winnie the Pooh
  Old  April 9th, 2018, 12:10pm     #8
cookiegirl123
Senior Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudrunnersmom View Post
Does SC have an insurance support program for low income people who are employed by a company that offers health insuance but who cannot pay for it? Wisconsin does. Does SC offer CHP? Medicaid?When I was first divorced and working a not low low income job but not great, and the insurance cost essentially a little more than one of my take home paychecks, it was rough . I did notknow about CHP or Medicaid, never thought about it and late found out we would have qualified for now cost Medicaid/CHP. Found out later my oncome was such that we could have gotten food stamps to. I never even thought about checking.
I am actually looking into this right now. The only issue is that I cannot sign him up until his current insurance cancels and then it will take between 45-90 to enroll him after that. I know that it is better than nothing but I'm scared to death that something will happen if he is not covered for three months. Also, his medication won't be covered during that time frame and his inhalers are over $300 without insurance. I may just have to do that and take a chance but if something is going to go wrong, it will go wrong with me for sure!

I feel like I am in a lose/lose situation here.