Old  March 31st, 2018, 11:43am     #1
Brittles
Master Sweeper

Amazon Closed My Account
Tried to place an order with Amazon and was getting a message saying it didn't recognize my email address. So I called and I'm told that my account was closed for violating their policies and now I'm waiting to hear back from the department that handles these things because I have no idea what they are talking about. I don't sell anything so it can't be any selling violation. I am not one of these people who do reviews on there on a regular basis that could be considered fishy and I haven't even placed an order in 2 months.

Has this ever happened to anyone else?

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
  Old  March 31st, 2018, 11:50am     #2
Karen_246
Grand Master Sweeper
Senior Moderator/Editor
PITA

That is strange. I don't do reviews either. Hope it gets straightened out.

"Once we choose HOPE, EVERYTHING is POSSIBLE" ~ Christopher Reeve
Come check out my blog, please follow if you would like. Looking to get the word out about your company, etsy shop, etc, please give me a shout as I am actively seeking sponsors for reviews and giveaways.
  Old  March 31st, 2018, 12:03pm     #3
Brittles
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen_246 View Post
That is strange. I don't do reviews either. Hope it gets straightened out.
Thanks Karen, I do too. What gets me is that no email was sent to alert me to any issues or to let me know the account was being closed (yet I get emails every day with product suggestions) and when I went to the page it was still identifying me. It was only when I went to place the order that I kept getting a message saying they didn't recognize my email address.

I now have to wait several days to hear back from the department that handles these cases.

Old  March 31st, 2018, 6:44pm     #4
john1948
Master Sweeper

something is going on at amazon, went to try to find a product , that was easy to find before ( there were several to choose from, now I can only find one at a higher price.

[jericho season 1]
  Old  April 6th, 2018, 4:46pm     #5
Brittles
Master Sweeper

So by now some of you might have heard that Amazon closed the accounts of thousands of people and we've all been getting different stories. Yesterday they sent emails saying we had violated terms of service and that the accounts would be reviewed and a determination made in 7 days as to whether or not we'd get our accounts back. Some people who contacted them after getting this were told they were not getting their accounts back. Then today two different emails were sent out to people. One saying they account was reopened, but further violations would result in it being closed again and others like myself got one saying it was shut down due to detection of unusual activity associated with items previously purchased.

My gut feeling is they were hacked and are telling these two stories to people rather then tell the truth. I mean first it's because I did something wrong, then it's because of unusual activity? It doesn't make sense. And in either case, why wasn't an email sent either to warn me to stop whatever it was that I was doing wrong or to inform me that something seemed suspicious and that they were shutting the account down for my protection while they investigated?

Anyway, I am glad to have my account back and I got them to give me $25 compensation, but after this I've lost faith in them and don't know if I'll continue my Prime membership when it runs out in a few months.

Old  April 7th, 2018, 5:19pm     #6
bigskwinner
Grand Master Sweeper

so whats the violation? buying stuff off amazon? LOL

my wins 2014
MY 2016 wins
MY 2017 wins
mY 2018 Wins
you JELLY?
  Old  April 8th, 2018, 1:15pm     #7
Brittles
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskwinner View Post
so whats the violation? buying stuff off amazon? LOL
One of the violations is doing a review for a product that you were given for free. They also flag you for too many returns. But this is just being used as an excuse. It's looking like there's a huge data breach and they are hiding it with excuses. Everyone who is Prime better keep a close watch on their accounts and their credit cards.

Old  June 14th, 2018, 8:15pm     #8
noni1959
Senior Master Sweeper

The only thing I had closed on me was my selling account since I hadn't sold anything in over a year. I didn't get notified and found out when I tried to load some books. I tried to update and it gave different error issues but I haven't call them yet. I placed a regular order today and my account is fine there. I think they were hacked and customer accounts were messed with.
  Old  June 16th, 2018, 12:39pm     #9
mcclave
Grand Master Sweeper

I'm hearing stories all over the place about people losing their accounts and they don't know why. They are given reasons for things they haven't even done. So my guess is there was a breach and not even they can figure out what is going on.

I wouldn't store any credit card info on there. One person said their account was closed and they had a $500 Amazon GC balance and Amazon told them they couldn't have it back.

Old  June 16th, 2018, 2:06pm     #10
Brittles
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcclave View Post
I'm hearing stories all over the place about people losing their accounts and they don't know why. They are given reasons for things they haven't even done. So my guess is there was a breach and not even they can figure out what is going on.

I wouldn't store any credit card info on there. One person said their account was closed and they had a $500 Amazon GC balance and Amazon told them they couldn't have it back.
Yes after I had posted this I discovered it was happening to thousands of people all over the world and joined a group on Facebook that was created for those who lost their accounts. I was given about 3 different excuses for why it was closed (first it was I told them to close it, then it was I violated some terms and then something about an issue with a seller I bought from). Finally got my account reopened and even got them to give me $25 credit to compensate me for the fact that I had to pay more for the items I was trying to order when they closed my account. After that I deleted all my credit card info as I don't trust them, nor do I wish to renew my Prime membership (which they are raising) when it expires in August. From now on I will only buy from them when I have a Amazon gift card (which I will spend in one shot) or if I win a prepaid credit card and use that for purchases.

Old  June 18th, 2018, 1:55am     #11
mcclave
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brittles View Post
Yes after I had posted this I discovered it was happening to thousands of people all over the world and joined a group on Facebook that was created for those who lost their accounts. I was given about 3 different excuses for why it was closed (first it was I told them to close it, then it was I violated some terms and then something about an issue with a seller I bought from). Finally got my account reopened and even got them to give me $25 credit to compensate me for the fact that I had to pay more for the items I was trying to order when they closed my account. After that I deleted all my credit card info as I don't trust them, nor do I wish to renew my Prime membership (which they are raising) when it expires in August. From now on I will only buy from them when I have a Amazon gift card (which I will spend in one shot) or if I win a prepaid credit card and use that for purchases.
Makes no sense why they would do this to people.