Old  March 24th, 2018, 3:21pm     #16
tlmazek
Senior Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by deborah62 View Post
Can you use Roku on a regular tv?
You mean a Dumb (as opposed to Smart) tv? YES, as long as it has a USB port.
  Old  March 24th, 2018, 5:04pm     #17
plazamama
Senior Master Sweeper

well, I see 2 of you are paying more than I am. I'm at $147/mo. for hd couple hundred channels and high speed internet. I box, but others can log in on computers for all the tv.
No phone or extra sports channels.

My kid told me to check out the hulu site. You get more stuff, but it costs twice as much as sling, and the add-ons are more. Someday soon I'm going to check out the 7 day free trial on sling and see if my current internet can bear the weight and if there is anything I would miss.

I'm so excited!

It would be down to something like $70! That would be keeping the best tier of Comcast internet. I haven't heard of anything better here.
  Old  March 24th, 2018, 5:37pm     #18
plazamama
Senior Master Sweeper

Quote:
Yes I've had one for years. My husband bought it thinking it was something else. You get a little palm-sized platform and a remote and a wire. You pay for the device and that's it. Accesses both free and stuff you have to pay for.
  Old  March 26th, 2018, 6:13am     #19
mcclave
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Yes the Roku1 is for regular tv's. No USB port required. It comes with a small converter and a remote. It plugs into the tv with the standard red,white and yellow set of wires. I have one and it works great.

Old  March 26th, 2018, 3:02pm     #20
tlmazek
Senior Sweeper

Here are the various versions of Roku with specs

https://www.roku.com/products/compare
  Old  March 27th, 2018, 5:54am     #21
mcclave
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlmazek View Post
Here are the various versions of Roku with specs

https://www.roku.com/products/compare
Thanks I was looking for something like this but it had the Roku1 listed. Couldn't find it but it looks like the Roku Express is the same thing as the Roku1 but a lot cheaper. The tv I had is a big screen but we bought it right before the lighter flat screens came out so it's one of those huge, heavy tv's. Just the same it wasn't that old so paying the $60 for the roku made more sense to me than throwing the tv away and buying a new one.

I have had it hooked up for over 2 years and all is still working just fine.

deborah62 Lot's of good info here.

Old  March 28th, 2018, 2:12pm     #22
nightt
Senior Sweeper

For anyone who has cable....they do raise your rates every year. You have to call them and tell them you cannot pay these prices. They will change your rate especially if you are ready to leave them. The new rate is usually good for a year.
  Old  March 28th, 2018, 3:02pm     #23
plazamama
Senior Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightt View Post
For anyone who has cable....they do raise your rates every year. You have to call them and tell them you cannot pay these prices. They will change your rate especially if you are ready to leave them. The new rate is usually good for a year.
yes, I do that and it still gets higher even with the concessions. I think at this point I am paying to make up for all the ex-customers who wised up and left.
  Old  March 29th, 2018, 11:13am     #24
sallykay
Grand Master Sweeper

Keep in mind that internet prices seem to be going up, and streaming uses that! Our phone company recently changed to "wide open internet", which was was supposed to be less--we were paying $45 a month--now, it has a minimum, and if you go over, it's way more--internet TOTAL was $150 this month--boys use Netflix and streaming a lot, too, and we also have our DISH, which my husband and I love. They also watch that.

When we're free to love anyone we choose
When this world's big enough for all different views
When we all can worship from our own kind of pew
Then we shall be free; We shall be free -- GARTH BROOKS
  Old  March 29th, 2018, 11:33am     #25
plazamama
Senior Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallykay View Post
Keep in mind that internet prices seem to be going up, and streaming uses that! Our phone company recently changed to "wide open internet", which was was supposed to be less--we were paying $45 a month--now, it has a minimum, and if you go over, it's way more--internet TOTAL was $150 this month--boys use Netflix and streaming a lot, too, and we also have our DISH, which my husband and I love. They also watch that.
I didn't realize you could get charged extra for more streaming. I was expecting a flat fee. Right now, it's in a bundle with the TV. Before I do cut the cord, I want to try the free trial to see if Comcast or Verizon would be better, and if they would be able to stream my tv without a lot of pixelating and whatnot.
  Old  April 11th, 2018, 2:22pm     #26
plazamama
Senior Master Sweeper

I DID IT!!!
I cut the cord!
I'm getting Sling Blue for $25/mo. for up to 3 devices, kept the internet with Comcast. I'm getting 25mbps for $50/mo. If that's not enough, the next step up will be $70/mo. I'm so happy I feel like I've lost 100 pounds! ($147/mo. and on demand and high def not working half the time!)

The only bad part is now I need to get my tv hooked up to the good sound, a Sony sound system I won on here about 2008 or so. It will take some time because the sockets for the wires are in the back of the TV and the TV is wall-mounted. My kid came over the other night to set me up with Sling, and he didn't want to get into that project that late. So I am stuck with crummy TV speakers until he decides to do it.

But I'm so happy!
  Old  April 11th, 2018, 6:02pm     #27
Qncterra
Senior Master Sweeper

I had Brighthouse since I bought the house in June 2000 and was at $115/month (phone, internet and cable) when Spectrum took over from Brighthouse in August 2016. They said I was on a four part promo offer and raised my rate three times in 2017.

Last October, they said that the next increase in April 2018 would take me to $174/month. I immediately called Frontier, which was overcoming a rocky takeover of Verizon FIOS. Frontier was having a promo, so for $123, I have 2 years no contract phone, internet, cable, DVR and two years free HBO.
  Old  April 11th, 2018, 6:27pm     #28
bomar97
Grand Master Sweeper

I wish I had so many choices as others seem to have!!

4 mbps for $46 + and that's bundled with phone ( DSL is all that's available other than satellite ).

One company to choose from... no cable around.

The only tv has to be satellite.

I tried streaming and wasn't happy with what came of it with the hiccups in our internet plus slow speed.

Earn cash back while shopping with ebates - my referral https://www.ebates.com/r/BOMER92
  Old  April 11th, 2018, 9:56pm     #29
plazamama
Senior Master Sweeper

Unhappy
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomar97 View Post
I wish I had so many choices as others seem to have!!

4 mbps for $46 + and that's bundled with phone ( DSL is all that's available other than satellite ).

One company to choose from... no cable around.

The only tv has to be satellite.

I tried streaming and wasn't happy with what came of it with the hiccups in our internet plus slow speed.
I'm sorry to hear that. I've read that our internet service is something else that needs to catch up with the rest of the world.
  Old  April 12th, 2018, 1:46pm     #30
plazamama
Senior Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qncterra View Post
I had Brighthouse since I bought the house in June 2000 and was at $115/month (phone, internet and cable) when Spectrum took over from Brighthouse in August 2016. They said I was on a four part promo offer and raised my rate three times in 2017.

Last October, they said that the next increase in April 2018 would take me to $174/month. I immediately called Frontier, which was overcoming a rocky takeover of Verizon FIOS. Frontier was having a promo, so for $123, I have 2 years no contract phone, internet, cable, DVR and two years free HBO.
Sweet!