Old  March 21st, 2018, 2:43pm     #1
mommie-sweep
Senior Master Sweeper

TV streaming advice
Our Spectrum billing went up 15% this month so I am looking at a TV streaming devices. Could use with advice and what are your favorites.....
  Old  March 21st, 2018, 4:14pm     #2
john1948
Master Sweeper

outdoor antenna

google cast, stream from internet

[jericho season 1]
  Old  March 21st, 2018, 4:52pm     #3
CalicoGirl
Master Sweeper

Hulu Plus
  Old  March 21st, 2018, 5:03pm     #4
sweepmama
Grand Master Sweeper

I cut my Comcast to the basic+internet and cut my bill in half. I pay for Sling, $20/month

Old  March 21st, 2018, 10:11pm     #5
Embee
Senior Master Sweeper

Roku
I have Roku on both TVs, and subscribe to Amazon Prime, Netflix and Hulu (commercial free) So around $32 month plus WiFi and the one time cost of the devices. Plenty of content to watch. Plus, you can load YouTube and tons of other apps on the Roku.

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Embee/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]
  Old  March 22nd, 2018, 6:00am     #6
agordon10
Senior Sweeper

Spectrum offers a streaming only for $21.99. Directtvnow offers a $35 plan which is cut by $25 if you have at&t and it gives you hbo for life. Both those options have alll local channels included.
  Old  March 22nd, 2018, 11:32am     #7
plazamama
Senior Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweepmama View Post
I cut my Comcast to the basic+internet and cut my bill in half. I pay for Sling, $20/month
Does Sling go to your TV if you don't have a new "Smart" TV? How does that work?
  Old  March 22nd, 2018, 12:02pm     #8
Susan
Senior Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by plazamama View Post
Does Sling go to your TV if you don't have a new "Smart" TV? How does that work?
https://www.sling.com/devices I don't use Sling, but am thinking about it & found the info on their website.
  Old  March 22nd, 2018, 1:17pm     #9
mincognita
Master Sweeper

We cut the cable on Feb 1st. We already had a prime subscription so stayed with that and we've used the free trial for Sling TV @25/mnth and Philo @16/mnth. Of the two, we will stick with Philo because it includes the Discovery channels. Next we'll be testing Direct TV Now and Youtube TV.

BTW, most, if not all of these streaming services have a special offer if you prepay for a month or two. I got a Roku stick with the Sling TV trial that I use with the TV in the bedroom. You may have to look around their sites to find the offers, but they're there.

Good luck.
  Old  March 22nd, 2018, 5:53pm     #10
PKB
Master Sweeper

Streaming -- the way to go!
We ended our cable relationship with Comcast about 4 years ago, since the price kept going up for continuing lousy service and not the choices we wanted. Also TIRED of commercials interrupting every program except PBS. We do pay for Comcast internet service (of course everyone in the U.S. pays about twice what Europeans, etc. pay for faster internet--go figure).

We chose Roku 3. We subscribe to ACORN (British and foreign content--no commercials and $4.99/mo) and HULU ($11.99/mo for commercial-free version). We of course have all our PBS content available for free, but since we're members, we get "Passport" also on PBS. There are free channels and so much content to choose from. Roku also has a "channel" and has lots of movies, etc. We use Fandango for movie viewing--watched all the Oscar nominated films for $4.99 each.

You'll love streaming, whether you use Roku, Apple, etc. We have never had an issue with Roku--no problems at all in the years we've used it. Good luck choosing the streaming device that fits your watching habits. I think you'll find it's easy to cut the Cable.

PK
  Old  March 23rd, 2018, 11:36am     #11
plazamama
Senior Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan View Post
https://www.sling.com/devices I don't use Sling, but am thinking about it & found the info on their website.
Thanks for the link. I am seriously considering this.. Like others here are saying, Comcast keeps raising prices, but won't invest in good equipment. I have no problem with their techs, but a lot of them are contractors, without benefits. I hate that business practice.

My kid thinks I'm wacky for paying the monthly amount I do, I think first I will research prices at Comcast, I guess I need to keep basic tv and internet. I saw on Sling site I can even pay extra for premium stations if I want to.

Thanks for the info.
  Old  March 23rd, 2018, 3:02pm     #12
plytle1
Master Sweeper

Would love to dump Comcast....
....but, am I correct in assuming that there is no other way to get sports programs? Namely, in the Philadelphia area, the Eagles and the Phillies? Does anyone know this? My Comcast bill is $268/mo

Thanks in advance!

Pam in NJ
  Old  March 23rd, 2018, 3:16pm     #13
gargoyle
Senior Sweeper

You may want to look into YouTubeTV Apparently for $40/mo you get quite a bit, including the local sports networks (may vary city to city, but free to ask/find out)

https://tv.youtube.com/welcome/
  Old  March 24th, 2018, 12:52pm     #14
deborah62
Grand Master Sweeper

Can you use Roku on a regular tv?

What if the hokey pokey is what its all about?
  Old  March 24th, 2018, 2:17pm     #15
lvanhook
Senior Master Sweeper

our spectrum bill is over $220 a month,, this includes home phone, internet wifi, and about 180 channels with live tv. we have 2 dvr boxes....does this sound average?? we are in coastal sc...

My Wins