Old  April 13th, 2018, 1:58pm     #31
thealfa
Senior Sweeper

Question everyone; I do not own a TV but want to take advantage of my Amazon Prime subscription so now I'm looking for a smart TV (is this the way to go?). I was hoping to find something under $100 but most are over $100. I've looked into what Sears and Amazon has. Is the TCL Roku smart TV any good? I'm not much of a TV person but just want it for the perks that I get from Amazon Prime (which I am getting a 6 month free trial subscription). Should I look into a Samsung or what Walmart sells?

Save extra 20% off on local deals such as oil changes, car repairs, car washes, restaurants, and more!

https://www.groupon.com/visitor_refe...9-ab86f532bd2f
  Old  April 16th, 2018, 1:57pm     #32
ResourcePress
Grand Master Sweeper

I have an antenna as well as Amazon Prime and Netflix.

Still need a way to watch my Red Sox though.

Wishing & hoping & thinking & praying, planning & dreaming... and entering!
  Old  April 16th, 2018, 2:53pm     #33
plazamama
Senior Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by thealfa View Post
Question everyone; I do not own a TV but want to take advantage of my Amazon Prime subscription so now I'm looking for a smart TV (is this the way to go?). I was hoping to find something under $100 but most are over $100. I've looked into what Sears and Amazon has. Is the TCL Roku smart TV any good? I'm not much of a TV person but just want it for the perks that I get from Amazon Prime (which I am getting a 6 month free trial subscription). Should I look into a Samsung or what Walmart sells?
In no way am I an electronics expert. But if Amazon stick is like the other services, you don't need a TV. You can use the service on your desktop, notebook pad, any of that stuff.
  Old  April 16th, 2018, 6:09pm     #34
mcclave
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by plazamama View Post
In no way am I an electronics expert. But if Amazon stick is like the other services, you don't need a TV. You can use the service on your desktop, notebook pad, any of that stuff.
If you have netflix and amazon prime you don't even need a stick you can just logon from a device a stream away. There is also movies123 that you can stream all kinds of movies for free.

Old  April 18th, 2018, 7:15am     #35
Nubbs820
Senior Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by thealfa View Post
I bought my sons the 32" TCL Roku and they are able to stream netflix, amazon prime & the likes without any issues. They love the TV & I was happy I bought it on a BF special for like $100. I have FIOS Gigabit internet at $85/mo but I need it for work since I work remotely and that itself takes up a ton of bandwidth daily. You can get the internet price down some right now, they're having different deals, I just haven't called them to get the cheaper rate.
  Old  April 18th, 2018, 8:15am     #36
suelee000
Senior Master Sweeper

Dumped cable 4 years ago
ROKU lots of channels including BritBox and Acorn which have my britcoms and mysteries
TIVO $14.99 (if you buy a new one, the monthly guide fee is built into price of the box
NetFlix
Amazon Prime
Hulu
CBS Access
Britbox
AcornTV

I might be paying $55 for all of them.

Sue

So many books, so little time.
  Old  April 18th, 2018, 8:46am     #37
rajcjj1
Master Sweeper

I want to cut Comcast bad but where will I watch sports? I need ideas thx
  Old  April 18th, 2018, 11:55am     #38
plazamama
Senior Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajcjj1 View Post
I want to cut Comcast bad but where will I watch sports? I need ideas thx
was not a concern for me. But I know Sling has sports packages you can add to basic, And Hulu costs more but they have a lot more to offer. They might also have extra sports pkgs.
I used to have to pay a small monthly fee to watch sports I don't watch. Nope, not even the Super Bowl for the commercials and half-time show.
  Old  April 20th, 2018, 5:45pm     #39
QBookie
Master Sweeper

Wink I'm Technically Free
This is very interesting. At this time, I'm only interested in what I can stream or otherwise acquire that is free. I have TV with antenna only. I get all 15 major channels and about 25 more that are sub-channels off the major, such as I get 6 PBS channels. I have friends, Ma & Pa Kettle. They are both very "techie" and Pa likes to tinker. Pa built a desktop computer for me and hooked it up to a smartphone as a dedicated hot spot. Ma & Pa wanted new phones so they got 3 smartphones on an unlimited plan and used one as the dedicated hot spot for me. The phone is plugged in the desktop. The desktop turns off if it isn't used for 20 min. It isn't High Speed internet but it works very well. I've been using it for about 2 months.

Honey, Ain't Nothin' Ever Gonna Be Like It Was Before.
  Old  April 20th, 2018, 6:00pm     #40
plazamama
Senior Master Sweeper

Thumbs up
Quote:
Originally Posted by QBookie View Post
This is very interesting. At this time, I'm only interested in what I can stream or otherwise acquire that is free. I have TV with antenna only. I get all 15 major channels and about 25 more that are sub-channels off the major, such as I get 6 PBS channels. I have friends, Ma & Pa Kettle. They are both very "techie" and Pa likes to tinker. Pa built a desktop computer for me and hooked it up to a smartphone as a dedicated hot spot. Ma & Pa wanted new phones so they got 3 smartphones on an unlimited plan and used one as the dedicated hot spot for me. The phone is plugged in the desktop. The desktop turns off it isn't used for 20 min. It isn't High Speed internet but it works very well. I've been using it for about 2 months.