Old  April 17th, 2018, 9:00am     #1
bomar97
Grand Master Sweeper

Chromebooks
I'm working on hubby's laptop now.. but he's pissed at all the auto updates and trouble afterwards.

So in the meantime, I'm thinking of what would work best and get away from Microsoft.

All he needs is:

some internet browsing / shopping..

card games ( he has bought ( got free back in the days ) Solitaire games

Open Office ( word processor ).

Will a Chromebook perform for these?

And is there any update issues under Google?

Earn cash back while shopping with ebates - my referral https://www.ebates.com/r/BOMER92
  Old  April 17th, 2018, 10:27am     #2
cookiegirl123
Senior Sweeper

I'm a huge fan of Chromebooks. I have had mine for about 2.5 years and when it kills out, I will not hesitate to buy another one. It is lightning fast and way faster than my Macbook. The updates are the simplest thing in the world. They are not very often and you literally push the button to restart. Once you restart, it has updated. There are no long load times or downloading updates, it just does it. Also, you don't have to worry about buying virus protection because it is already on there.

Now, if you want to do serious heavy duty gaming or editing or stuff like that, it might not work but it sounds like it would be great for your husband's needs. I was in the same boat as him and fed up with all the Microsoft updates and problems. I tossed my Windows laptop, and bought a Chromebook and a Macbook at the same time. I use the Chromebook 100x more than the Macbook. It is just so simple, fast and has a very long battery life.

I don't think he would regret it, especially for the money spent. My son has one that the school lends out each year and let me tell you, they really take a beating too. He is not careful with anything and the thing is still going strong!

I don't think that you can use Office on it but you can use the Google Suite and there is a word processing feature on there--Google Docs I believe. I have used it and my son uses it all the time and it is very simple to use.
  Old  April 17th, 2018, 10:30am     #3
bomar97
Grand Master Sweeper

Good to know.

I know he was really pissed this AM when the laptop hour glass appeared when he went in to play his card game.. and it had to be bad for him to ask if there was such a thing as an inexpensive Macbook because he's never been an Apple fan!

Earn cash back while shopping with ebates - my referral https://www.ebates.com/r/BOMER92
  Old  April 17th, 2018, 11:06am     #4
caseycupcake
Grand Master Sweeper

We had a chromebook for 3 years. Worked just fine. Used it to mirror direct tv signal to our old sony tv. Eventually, the connection broke at the screen. Device worked' you just couldn't see what you were doing. Must have been from too many opening and closing the lid. Sad to see it go. Light and cheap.
  Old  April 17th, 2018, 12:15pm     #5
bomar97
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseycupcake View Post
We had a chromebook for 3 years. Worked just fine. Used it to mirror direct tv signal to our old sony tv. Eventually, the connection broke at the screen. Device worked' you just couldn't see what you were doing. Must have been from too many opening and closing the lid. Sad to see it go. Light and cheap.
I'd hope the connectors are better.. we constantly close our laptops when we're not using them!