Old  April 7th, 2018, 4:46pm     #1
mudrunnersmom
Master Sweeper

Had a job interview and....
I know this is a weird question to ask of strangers, but as there is such a wide cross section of peeps on here I want to hear what others think about this.

Had a job interview the other day. one of the (illegal) questions I was asked by the prez was essentially " I am Christian and expect my employees to have Christian values. Are you a Christian?

THen: you know you aren't going to sitting in a cubicle in a room with many other GIRLS, in fact there are only 3 GIRLS working here.

How do you feel about working with men? (this interview was for an engineering position, one look at my resume and even an idiot would see the jobs I have had over the last 35 years were all in traditionally male jobs (tool and die maker, surveyor, electrical engineer)

I said what does being a Christian have to do with my ability to do the jobl?

I said I am not exactly a girly girl group manicure kind of woman and I don't care if I am working with little green people as long as they are doing their job.

and the "look at my resume asshat answer.

DH thinks I am over reacting and that you know older folks don'tknow that some questions are against the law and discriminatory. DH is nuts here IMHO but wondering what others think?

I am 100% sure I did not get the job, and if I were offered it....I am on unemployemtn and am required to take ANY job offered. No matter what. (Got super low balled once- guys doing the same job in the company with far less experience and education were making $12 an hour more than me, but had to take the job, they even said you are on unemployment you have to take this position. EEOC ended up taking care of the issue after I found a different position.

"“If ever there is tomorrow when we're not together... there is something you must always remember. You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. But the most important thing is, even if we're apart... I'll always be with you.”
― A.A. Milne, Winnie the Pooh
  Old  April 9th, 2018, 12:22pm     #2
arouet
Grand Master Sweeper

I am a christian, although admittedly a nominal one, and I agree with you it's totally wrong. I honestly don't know what all of the laws are regarding employment practices, but if that isn't against discrimination laws our laws need changing.

I'm sorry you didn't get the job as you obviously need one, but you you should probably thank your lucky stars as you would have been totally miserable working for an asshat like that and would have ended up unemployed again shortly.

I was working as a bookeeper for an emergency vet clinic for years and when the economy started to tank so did my job. My husband said if I wanted to stay home it wouldn't be a problem because he makes decent money, but I wanted to be bringing in at least some money so I could do groceries and take care of my own needs.

I decided to go apply at Hobby Lobby, because I love all of their stuff. And I love doing craft things, arrangements etc. So I figured that I might get a discount on my crafts too. At the time I really didn't know about their religious bent but the interview felt really weird to me. It was years ago so I can't really remember the questions that bothered me, and maybe it was just the particular manager but I decided not to follow through.

You know what, I'm an American. We are a richly diverse country, with all kinds of people that have all kinds of backgrounds and religions. And the thing that makes it work is that the laws don't allow anyones values or belief system to override someone elses. The system isn't perfect but it has served us reasonably well all of these years. That definitely should apply to our being able to make a living at any job regardless of our religious bent.
  Old  April 9th, 2018, 12:33pm     #3
mudrunnersmom
Master Sweeper

I am a Christian, although like you nominally.

law reads:
•Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Title VII), which prohibits employment discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, or national origin;

of course I don't know if the reason I did not get the job is because I did not tell them, but you are right-I do NOT want to work for an organization that has "preferences" that are illegal.

"“If ever there is tomorrow when we're not together... there is something you must always remember. You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. But the most important thing is, even if we're apart... I'll always be with you.”
― A.A. Milne, Winnie the Pooh