Old  September 1st, 2008, 9:50pm     #1
mewins1 is offline
mewins1
Senior Sweeper
 
mewins1's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 514
Location: Brunswick, Georgia
The Sweeps Convention?
I know a lot of OLSers went to this thingy, and I haven't seen anybody posting pics or stories. Those of us that ain't in the know, wanna be in the know. We must live through you, and you are holding out on us!!!!

Sooo...

Spill the beans!

And I mean spill 'em!

Are we gonna have to change venues next year because half of us are not allowed back? Will some of us ever be able to walk upright again? Will Kiss and Baked EVER make it home? Enquiring minds wanna know.

shuffle shuffle...Time to click the MySweeps...shuffle shuffle
Reply With Quote
  Old  September 1st, 2008, 9:51pm     #2
eyzofblu63 is offline
eyzofblu63
Grand Master Sweeper
 
eyzofblu63's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 25,746
Location: Enjoying being part of Title town
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewins1 View Post
I know a lot of OLSers went to this thingy, and I haven't seen anybody posting pics or stories. Those of us that ain't in the know, wanna be in the know. We must live through you, and you are holding out on us!!!!

Sooo...

Spill the beans!

And I mean spill 'em!

Are we gonna have to change venues next year because half of us are not allowed back? Will some of us ever be able to walk upright again? Will Kiss and Baked EVER make it home? Enquiring minds wanna know.
Go to this link, there are quite a few threads about the convention, with Pics

http://forums.online-sweepstakes.com...play.php?f=114
Reply With Quote
  Old  September 2nd, 2008, 11:37am     #3
KISSaholic4life is offline
KISSaholic4life
Grand Master Sweeper
 
KISSaholic4life's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 23,580
Location: I Pledge Allegiance To The State Of Rock & Roll
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewins1 View Post
I know a lot of OLSers went to this thingy, and I haven't seen anybody posting pics or stories. Those of us that ain't in the know, wanna be in the know. We must live through you, and you are holding out on us!!!!

Sooo...

Spill the beans!

And I mean spill 'em!

Are we gonna have to change venues next year because half of us are not allowed back? Will some of us ever be able to walk upright again? Will Kiss and Baked EVER make it home? Enquiring minds wanna know.
Me and Baked are in Independence, MO right now enjoying some time with another AWESOME OLS'er. I'll be home by midnite tonite and will start posting pics sometime tomorrow or the next day - we've got TONS of pics to go thru. I'm working on my trip report - anyone who's read my report from last year knows that it will take awhile to write it.


~ Space For Rent ~
I can be found at Facebook - look for KISSaholic4life

Reply With Quote
  Old  September 2nd, 2008, 3:57pm     #4
baxter1955 is offline
baxter1955
Junior Sweeper
 
baxter1955's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 4
Location: HOUSTON, TX
I appreciate all the hard work the convention hosts did for the convention. The convention location was great but I was very disappointed with the prizes. Had it not been for the donated prizes and the raffles (which attendees paid for) there would not have been but a very few prizes. Thanks to one of the major contributors - Online-Sweepstakes!! I did win a couple of prizes. Our table kept thinking they were holding back all the major prizes until the banquet, then when that didn't happen, we thought surely they would be given away on Sunday. The games went on forever unless you were one of the few up front. It was like watching laundry dry. The anticipation and excitement just wasn't there for a large percentage of the room.

It was great to get back with friends I had not see in awhile but this was not one of my favorite conventions. I was really expecting something more from Texas - where everything is suppose to be bigger and better. I would have been happy with more prizes and less expensive food and decorations. You can't please everyone but I heard complaints about the lack of prizes (purchased with our registration $$$) at the convention, at dinner, on the way back to the airport, in the airport and on the plane. I think it would be great if we knew the percentages of what the fees were spent on. I am not saying there was any wrong-doing, I don't believe that was the case at all but seeing the percentages might help to understand why the prizes just weren't there.
Reply With Quote
  Old  September 2nd, 2008, 7:20pm     #5
CARAN52 is offline
CARAN52
Master Sweeper
 
CARAN52's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,620
Location: Bucks County, PA
The conventions
The convention registration money always goes primarily to food, facilities, administrative supplies (toner, paper, badges, folders, etc.), cost of speakers if charge, video and sound equipment, wages of catering staff, etc.) Then there is always some money for a few of the top prizes. The prizes you all are complaining about not getting come from you guys yourselves when the call goes out for donations. That's one of the hardest areas to cover. Corporations do not give to our functions unless you have an inside track (I've tried very unsuccesffully with our own events). Soooo in short they did do a great job with the money they used and did get a lot of good breaks in fees, but if you want tons and tons of prizes then you have to put them up.

Don't want to get beat like I'm on a soapbox but I go through this each year running the Hershey convention. I'd love to see all win at each session but to do that I need donations. Hershey registration just about covers admin and top 3 prizes per session. And that's if we don't get a lot of last minute hotel reservation cancellations and do have you all staying at the hotel so we can get the credit for the nights booked. Those sleeping rooms pay for your weekend.

I heard that national had a ton of last minute cancelatiions and will let them post the amount. It was a horrible amount, which the hosts planned on having credit for the weekend.

I'll step down now and get moving on next month's convention.

Last edited by CARAN52; September 2nd, 2008 at 7:23pm. Reason: typps
Reply With Quote
  Old  September 2nd, 2008, 9:02pm     #6
TinyMoMo is offline
TinyMoMo
Grand Master Sweeper
 
TinyMoMo's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 10,410
Location: OHIO!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by baxter1955 View Post
I appreciate all the hard work the convention hosts did for the convention. The convention location was great but I was very disappointed with the prizes. Had it not been for the donated prizes and the raffles (which attendees paid for) there would not have been but a very few prizes. Thanks to one of the major contributors - Online-Sweepstakes!! I did win a couple of prizes. Our table kept thinking they were holding back all the major prizes until the banquet, then when that didn't happen, we thought surely they would be given away on Sunday. The games went on forever unless you were one of the few up front. It was like watching laundry dry. The anticipation and excitement just wasn't there for a large percentage of the room.

It was great to get back with friends I had not see in awhile but this was not one of my favorite conventions. I was really expecting something more from Texas - where everything is suppose to be bigger and better. I would have been happy with more prizes and less expensive food and decorations. You can't please everyone but I heard complaints about the lack of prizes (purchased with our registration $$$) at the convention, at dinner, on the way back to the airport, in the airport and on the plane. I think it would be great if we knew the percentages of what the fees were spent on. I am not saying there was any wrong-doing, I don't believe that was the case at all but seeing the percentages might help to understand why the prizes just weren't there.

Ok-WHAT? They gave away THOUSANDS of stamps-110 500 dollar prizes...numerous stamp winners of postcard and regular stamps. Were you there for that?
You ever try throwing a party for 1000 people?
Reply With Quote
  Old  September 3rd, 2008, 3:45am     #7
KISSaholic4life is offline
KISSaholic4life
Grand Master Sweeper
 
KISSaholic4life's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 23,580
Location: I Pledge Allegiance To The State Of Rock & Roll
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyMoMo View Post
Ok-WHAT? They gave away THOUSANDS of stamps-110 500 dollar prizes...numerous stamp winners of postcard and regular stamps. Were you there for that?
All those prizes were 'donated' by the people who entered them - not by the convention

The prizes that the convention paid for that I could see were the 2 laptops, the computer, the 32" tv and the present on each table at the banquet.

~ Space For Rent ~
I can be found at Facebook - look for KISSaholic4life

Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:52am.