Old  September 19th, 2011, 9:21am     #1
abigail34
Junior Sweeper

New to sweeps wondering about convention.
I just started sweeping a year ago and have won three trips. One fell through but I was given the cash amount which was great. I have won tons of other stuff as well. My family thinks I am lucky and crazy! I am interested in attending this convention in Atlanta and would appreciate any feedback. I live in Iowa, any other Iowan sweepers?
  Old  September 19th, 2011, 9:35am     #2
beanieprincess
Senior Sweeper

hi
i live in iowa too
  Old  September 20th, 2011, 12:25am     #3
abigail34
Junior Sweeper

Hello Iowa
Are you going to attend the convention and have you in the past?
  Old  September 20th, 2011, 12:31am     #4
beanieprincess
Senior Sweeper

yes to both
its a great way to meet new friends
  Old  September 20th, 2011, 2:47am     #5
uclafan
Master Sweeper

Going to conventions is a great way to make lots of new friends. And also you'll learn so much and see alot of interesting sweeping gadgets.

Please use the link below, help me earn extras swagbucks when naming me as the referral and then search so your "Swag Bucks" will begin adding up too. http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/meuclafan
  Old  September 20th, 2011, 3:27pm     #6
caseycupcake
Grand Master Sweeper

I find that the sweeps convention revitalizes my sweeping committment. It's also nice to put a face to those screen names!
  Old  September 29th, 2011, 12:20am     #7
brendapap
Junior Sweeper

Could you please tell me what is a sweeps convention. What goes on there, do you win things there, are there vendors there ect????? Please explain everything to me. Does it cost 200 dollars just to attend? Please help me understand.
  Old  September 29th, 2011, 11:00am     #8
semtaylor
Master Sweeper

Brendapap...A sweeps convention is just a fun weekend with fellow sweepers. We have speakers, prizes, vendor room (great place to buy fun sweeping supplies), fellowship with other sweepers.....

It is just a fun time to hang out with other sweepers and learn from each other. Winning prizes is fun and they are given out all weekend. Prizes come from donations from individuals, clubs and part of the registration money. Some do win but not everyone. To me the main reason to come is just being with other sweepers.

http://www.atlantaga2012.com/index.html

Keep watching the 2012 convention site as it will be updated closer to the convention with more details. Here is the cost info from the site. A banquet meal on Saturday is included.

$210 if paid registration is received prior to Saturday, December 31, 2011

$235 if paid registration is received prior to Monday, July 9, 2012

Susan T
  Old  September 29th, 2011, 12:13pm     #9
KISSaholic4life
Grand Master Sweeper

Speakers - In the past 5 years that I've gone to the convention they've had speakers from people who work in the sweepstakes/promotion industry, US Postal system, prize winners and other fellow sweepstakers. I've learned a few things from some of the speakers over the years.

Prizes - your registration entitles you to enter for prizes that the convention gives away. As semtaylor stated above some of prizes are bought by the convention and some are donated by individuals or sweep clubs. Prizes include sweepstake supplies, cash/GC's, electronics etc. At this past sweepstakes convention in Fort Wayne, WINdiana the top prize for each session was an iPad! You can also buy tickets to win prizes from the vendors. The convention also hosts raffles and in the past the raffle prizes have included envelopes, stamps, GC's and cash. Raffle tickets are not included in your convention registration and must be bought separately. You do not have to purchase raffle tickets if you don't want to.

Vendors - there is a whole room dedicated to the vendors. Just about any sweepstakin' supply you'll ever need is available in the vendor room. And most vendors have raffles - the raffle tickets are not included in your convention registration and must be bought separatly.

Banquet dinner - On the Saturday of the convention they usually have a banquet dinner - which is included in your convention registration. If you have a spouse/SO/friend that comes with you to Atlanta but is not attending the convention they can come to the banquet dinner if they purchase a banquet dinner ticket.

Friday and Saturday of the convention is usually broken down into 2 sessions - a morning session and an afternoon session. Sunday is usually just a morning session. If you arrive before Friday you can attend the meet and greet session on Thursday evening. At the Fort Wayne convention they had the meet & greet session on Thursday evening, gave away some prizes and then took us to a minor league baseball game which also included a dinner. There are breaks during each session so that you can go stretch your legs, go to the bathroom etc. Between the morning and afternoon sessions there is a lunch break. The only meals included in your convention registration is the banquet dinner and possibly a continental breakfast - I haven't looked yet to see if the Atlanta convention is doin' a breakfast or not, I hope they continue the tradition from the Fort Wayne convention and skip the breakfast and use that money for more prizes! You're on your own for all other meals - if you're like me this is a great way to go out and find some great local cuisine!

And my favorite part of the convention - You get to meet sweepstakers from all over the US, Canada and a few other countries. You get to meet fellow OLS'ers and people from various other sweep websites and newsletters. You get to hang out with people who share the same hobby as you so you aren't embarrassed when you say you are a sweeper nor do you have to explain what sweepin' is.

All in all - a sweepstakes convention is a place to hang out and have an AWESOME time!

~ Space For Rent ~
I can be found at Facebook - look for KISSaholic4life

Old  December 6th, 2011, 8:46am     #10
sweetwine
Senior Sweeper

question about the days..
I've never been to one, but I so want to go to this one in Atlanta, it's close enough to Florida to drive to, but I'm really short on funds and the hotel is $99 a night plus fees. They don't have much of a schedule up yet, so I need to ask, should I plan for Thursday night (as well as Friday and Sat nights) or do the activities really start on Friday only? I'm willing to drive up early in morning in order to save the cost of a night. The schedule on the website just doesn't show yet when it's starts. Can anyone say?

LOVES COFFEE!
  Old  December 6th, 2011, 11:51am     #11
KISSaholic4life
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetwine View Post
I've never been to one, but I so want to go to this one in Atlanta, it's close enough to Florida to drive to, but I'm really short on funds and the hotel is $99 a night plus fees. They don't have much of a schedule up yet, so I need to ask, should I plan for Thursday night (as well as Friday and Sat nights) or do the activities really start on Friday only? I'm willing to drive up early in morning in order to save the cost of a night. The schedule on the website just doesn't show yet when it's starts. Can anyone say?

The conventions officially kick off on Friday mornings. On Thursdays in the past they have had meet & greets, ice cream socials, taken us out to a baseball game etc.

If you are gonna drive up on Friday mornin' plan to arrive an hour or so before the convention starts so that you have time to get checked in at your hotel and to pick up your convention packet.

ETA: One thing you can do to save on hotel fees is to find an OLS'er to share a room with you.

~ Space For Rent ~

Old  January 18th, 2012, 2:09pm     #12
ariyana9501
Senior Master Sweeper

Oooo, I have a question. I'm still undecided as to whether I will attend this year(you know, these things aren't cheap!)......does OLS do a Convention contest every year?

I know they did last year, and I didn't win, but I didn't remember if they had done them every year or not.

Thanks in advance for your help!!!!!

Time stands still.....
  Old  January 18th, 2012, 3:10pm     #13
KISSaholic4life
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariyana9501 View Post
Oooo, I have a question. I'm still undecided as to whether I will attend this year(you know, these things aren't cheap!)......does OLS do a Convention contest every year?

I know they did last year, and I didn't win, but I didn't remember if they had done them every year or not.

Thanks in advance for your help!!!!!

They have every year I've been a member - they're easy to enter but hard to win!

I really hope to see you again this year!

~ Space For Rent ~

Old  January 18th, 2012, 5:49pm     #14
ariyana9501
Senior Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by KISSaholic4life View Post
They have every year I've been a member - they're easy to enter but hard to win!

I really hope to see you again this year!

When I wrote thanks at the bottom, I actually wrote your name in there, because I figured you'd be the one to answer!!!!! I deleted it, but it WAS there!!!! LoL!

I hope to see you again too, and if not this year, soon....for sure! I WILL go to another convention!!!!!

Time stands still.....
  Old  January 29th, 2012, 2:27pm     #15
Oregon gal
Sweeper

What are "Sweepstakes Supplies" from Vendors?
I've never been to a convention and am wondering what in the world are sweepstakes supplies? Do they sell laptops? Because that and Roboform are the only "supplies" I've ever used.

I do not do snailmail and would have no use for postcards or even stamps (pay all bills online). Enlighten me, please.