Old  February 10th, 2017, 4:39pm     #1
vetstadium
Master Sweeper

I would greatly appreciate any tips or advice for cutting the cable chord?
I have a question probably for younger folk out there lol. Anybody cut the chord from cable companies? What services do you use? We are thinking of doing this and I've been reading up on it. We are thinking about getting Play Station Vue and already have Netflix? Cable companies are just out of control and we can cut costs in at least half. What kind of set up do you have? We are semi computer savvy but by no means experts. Thanks anybody who has already done this please let me in on any tips . Thanks again.

4 trips (3 HOF), St Lucia, Paris, Orlando, St Petersberg
MY ONLINE WINS SINCE 2007
RADIO WINS
  Old  February 10th, 2017, 4:58pm     #2
dolphee
Senior Master Sweeper

We no longer have cable. We use Netflix (2 dvds at a time plus streaming) and Hulu (no ads) so much cheaper and we don't miss cable. It took about 3 weeks to get used to it but we found it to be sooo much better and way cheaper. Netflix mostly for movies and some new tv shows by them plus you can binge watch a lot of shows. Hulu has mostly shows and it will show current shows about 6 months or less later so not too long of a wait to catch up. There are other things like Sling, Plex, Krackle, etc but we like Netflix and Hulu best and get out moneys worth and a huge fraction of the cost. So Hulu without commercials is $11.99 a month plus they have a one week trial going on right now. You can also cancel anytime. Netflix has a month free trial right now and premium is also $11.99 a month. Obviously less for both if you choose the other plans. Hope this helps.

2016 total wins: $634.98
2015 total wins: $202.47
2014 total wins: $857.95
  Old  February 10th, 2017, 5:04pm     #3
sweepmama
Grand Master Sweeper

I signed up with Sling, they had a special where you pay for 2 months at $49.99 and they send you a free ROKU express. It's pretty nice. I called Comcast and told them that I needed to cut my cable and keep the internet. She found a deal where I could actually have basic cable and faster internet for half of what I was paying. Plus I get the HBO channels as well. I'm very happy.

Old  February 10th, 2017, 5:41pm     #4
brenske
Master Sweeper

We did just this year and have a few other things now
We have Play Station Vue on Roku, Netflix and Tivo
I don't love it but it's much cheaper, we cut our cable bill by 100$ now just pay them for internet. Play station vue has some live TV and you can save things. It's not as user friendly as our old set up (we had about 200 chanels??, but did not pay extra for HBO, Showtime..).
We get the channels we watched so that is good and I can record the shows I enjoy.
  Old  February 10th, 2017, 6:34pm     #5
lbdavis232
Master Sweeper

Since premium channels like Starz or Showtime only have a few shows I like, I sign up when they have a free month and then stream from my iPad through my AppleTV. I then binge watch and make sure I cancel my subscription. I have comcast and it is just not worth it to pay almost $20 a month for each premium channel.

“Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way.” ---Leo Tolstoy
  Old  February 10th, 2017, 8:10pm     #6
Kasper1212
Senior Sweeper

Android yv box
I actually just got one today it was $80. I spent two hours going thru all the thousands of movies and channels, its crazy. Even has some HBO channesl, a one time price to buy it, no monthly fees and all u need is internet! Im still figuring it all out, but shows are available five minutes after they air and movies such as Moana, Trolls...that were just playing in theatres are on it.... its pretty awesome!.....its called android tv box.....their pretty cheap on amazon.

Old  February 10th, 2017, 10:06pm     #7
Wood Violet
Master Sweeper

Smile
Don't forget about your public library for movies and cable shows that come out on DVD. You can get on the library's "wait list" for a DVD as soon as they "order" the DVD and not just after they receive it (at least in my city).
  Old  February 10th, 2017, 10:15pm     #8
Ardy22
Sweeper

I cut the cord over a year ago and saved a ton of money. I bought an over the air antennae and pick up about 30 channels. Plenty enough to keep me amused
  Old  February 11th, 2017, 3:14am     #9
mcclave
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardy22 View Post
I cut the cord over a year ago and saved a ton of money. I bought an over the air antennae and pick up about 30 channels. Plenty enough to keep me amused
What is that exactly? I bought this and we couldn't get anything with it. We moved it to several places in the house and nothing. We live in a rural area but still should have been able to get something!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  Old  February 11th, 2017, 3:19am     #10
mcclave
Grand Master Sweeper

OP We have Roku 1 for the older tv and a Roku streaming stick and a Xbox. We are subscribed to Netflix and Amazon Prime so we can stream and there is plenty to keep us entertained. There is always YouTube too for older westerns and older classic movies, and lots of other things to watch there.

Beats the $100 a month we were paying for Directv.
  Old  February 11th, 2017, 6:41am     #11
cindy100
Senior Master Sweeper

I have Amazon prime. It's $99.00 a year. Lots and lots of great shows, and movies. Amazon actually produces some great shows too. You can add apps of broadcast stations like ABC, CBS, NBC, CW, TNT, Fox, PBS, Best of all I get lots of free shipping when I buy things on Amazon!

Old  February 11th, 2017, 7:12am     #12
luckylu
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcclave View Post
What is that exactly? I bought this and we couldn't get anything with it. We moved it to several places in the house and nothing. We live in a rural area but still should have been able to get something!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I used tips from this blog http://dennysantennaservice.com/tv-antenna-aiming.html
and have abc, cbs, nbc, pbs & fox local channels. Most of them offer more then one channel having a retro tv or weather channel.
Once you have the antenna set up and pointed in the right direction go into your TV's menu and scan for channels.

More antenna pointing help here -http://dennysantennaservice.com/digital_tv_antenna.html

Enter zip code & click on the stations call sign for map orientation -
https://www.fcc.gov/media/engineering/dtvmaps

~~~~~ ~~~~ ~ ~~~~ ~~~~ ~ ~~~~ ~~~~ ~ ~~~~ ~~~~ ~ ~~~~ ~~~~ ~ ~~~~ ~~~~ ~
UH...ha ya it's all just lucky breaks.
  Old  February 11th, 2017, 7:19am     #13
Karen_246
Grand Master Sweeper
Senior Moderator/Editor
PITA

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindy100 View Post
I have Amazon prime. It's $99.00 a year. Lots and lots of great shows, and movies. Amazon actually produces some great shows too. You can add apps of broadcast stations like ABC, CBS, NBC, CW, TNT, Fox, PBS, Best of all I get lots of free shipping when I buy things on Amazon!
Are those apps free or do they cost in addition to the Amazon prime sub??

"Once we choose HOPE, EVERYTHING is POSSIBLE" ~ Christopher Reeve
Come check out my blog, please follow if you would like. Looking to get the word out about your company, etsy shop, etc, please give me a shout as I am actively seeking sponsors for reviews and giveaways.
  Old  February 11th, 2017, 7:50am     #14
LadyCat
Grand Master Sweeper

after cutting the cord what do you use for internet-not everyone can go smartphone route-for that i can not being hearing impaieied i can not hear to make calls -even on my sisters iphone 7 -i use just a tracphone i can hear on it and text for now that is it

Every entry is a potential Winner -
  Old  February 11th, 2017, 7:51am     #15
Diz-Me
Senior Sweeper

We tried an indoor HD antenna and were able to watch a few stations. We got a $50 outdoor antenna and got lots of stations and great reception as long as it wasn't windy or rainy. Three weeks after we cut the cord Comcast offered us the same internet/TV package we had for $79 per month versus the $169 we were paying before! So we got cable back for our main tv and are using the antenna for our other tvs.

I always believed - 2004, 2007...