View Poll Results: Do the 99ers/ Occupy Wall Streeters represent you?
Yes 65 52.42%
No 59 47.58%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Old  October 13th, 2011, 5:01pm     #241
ppammela
Gone Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahedden View Post
He saw it on the news and decided to join but did not know what he was protesting .
So this guy that you saw interviewed, saw a protest and just showed up with no idea WHAT was being protested? ( So for all he knew they could of been protesting the selling of white bread?) That doesnt make much sense but there are odd ball people out there.
  Old  October 13th, 2011, 5:01pm     #242
hort1
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
He saw it on the news and decided to join but did not know what he was protesting .

"Some" or "he?"
  Old  October 13th, 2011, 5:04pm     #243
ppammela
Gone Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by hort1 View Post
"Some" or "he?"
Good catch.

Care to clarify ahedden?

Quote:
I have seen some interviewed who didn't really know what they were protesting .
Quote:
Which is it?
  Old  October 13th, 2011, 5:06pm     #244
ahedden
Senior Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppammela View Post
Good catch.

Care to clarify ahedden?

Which is it?
It is both I have seen some not know what they were protesting and gave you of example of one I saw interviewed .

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin
  Old  October 13th, 2011, 5:08pm     #245
hort1
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
It is both I have seen some not know what they were protesting and gave you of example of one I saw interviewed .

Ah.

But........how do we know that you understood what was being said?
  Old  October 13th, 2011, 5:09pm     #246
n2deep2quit
Gone Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrobruce View Post
*I'm* the "swaggering bully"? With dozens of you guys throwing slime and personal attacks at me constantly?

LOL...

You are too funny.
You wouldn't have it any other way. Attention - any kind and any way you can get it. It has to be magic at your house.

Last edited by n2deep2quit; October 13th, 2011 at 5:10pm. Reason: add
  Old  October 13th, 2011, 5:12pm     #247
ppammela
Gone Camping

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppammela View Post
So this guy that you saw interviewed, saw a protest and just showed up with no idea WHAT was being protested? ( So for all he knew they could of been protesting the selling of white bread?) That doesnt make much sense but there are odd ball people out there.
  Old  October 13th, 2011, 5:23pm     #248
hort1
Grand Master Sweeper

You can kind of judge how effective something is by how much Rush hates it. He's beside himself and the ugly's pouring out:

http://mediamatters.org/mmtv/201110110012
  Old  October 13th, 2011, 5:26pm     #249
hort1
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
So, what are the protesters so upset about, really?

Do they have legitimate gripes?

To answer the latter question first, yes, they have very legitimate gripes.

And if America cannot figure out a way to address these gripes, the country will likely become increasingly "de-stabilized," as sociologists might say. And in that scenario, the current protests will likely be only the beginning.

The problem in a nutshell is this: Inequality in this country has hit a level that has been seen only once in the nation's history, and unemployment has reached a level that has been seen only once since the Great Depression. And, at the same time, corporate profits are at a record high.

In other words, in the never-ending tug-of-war between "labor" and "capital," there has rarely—if ever—been a time when "capital" was so clearly winning.

Plus charts and charts and charts!

http://www.businessinsider.com/what-...t-2011-10?op=1

That seems much more reasonable to me than being upset that you lost an election.
  Old  October 13th, 2011, 5:43pm     #250
ppammela
Gone Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by hort1 View Post
Plus charts and charts and charts!

http://www.businessinsider.com/what-...t-2011-10?op=1

That seems much more reasonable to me than being upset that you lost an election.
I think that does a pretty good job of summing it up. Shame people like ahedden will never click on the link and look at the charts.
  Old  October 13th, 2011, 5:48pm     #251
ppammela
Gone Camping

Screw it, I have some free time. Here are the charts since we know people like ahedden.aspen, bruce, etc wont click on the link and see it for themselves

Let's start with the obvious: Unemployment. Three years after the financial crisis, the unemployment rate is still at the highest level since the Great Depression (except for a brief blip in the early 1980s)

Jobs are scarce, so many adults have given up looking for them. Thus, a sharp decline in the "participation ratio."

And it's not like unemployment these days is a quick, painful jolt: A record percentage of unemployed people have been unemployed for longer than 6 months.
  Old  October 13th, 2011, 5:50pm     #252
ppammela
Gone Camping

And it's not just construction workers who can't find jobs. The median duration of all unemployment is also near an all-time high.

That 9% rate, by the way, equates to 14 million Americans—people who want to work but can't find a job.

And that's just people who meet the strict criteria for "unemployed." Include people working part-time who want to work full-time, plus some people who haven't looked for a job in a while, and unemployment's at 17%
  Old  October 13th, 2011, 5:51pm     #253
ppammela
Gone Camping

Put differently, this is the lowest percentage of Americans with jobs since the early 1980s (And the boom prior to that, by the way, was from women entering the workforce).

So that's the jobs picture. Not pretty.

And now we turn to the other side of this issue... the Americans for whom life has never been better. The OWNERS.

Corporate profits just hit another all-time high.
  Old  October 13th, 2011, 5:52pm     #254
ppammela
Gone Camping

Corporate profits as a percent of the economy are near a record all-time high. With the exception of a brief happy period in 2007 (just before the crash), profits are higher than they've been since the 1950s. And they are VASTLY higher than they've been for most of the intervening half-century.

CEO pay is now 350X the average worker's, up from 50X from 1960-1985.

CEO pay has skyrocketed 300% since 1990. Corporate profits have doubled. Average "production worker" pay has increased 4%. The minimum wage has dropped. (All numbers adjusted for inflation).
  Old  October 13th, 2011, 5:54pm     #255
ppammela
Gone Camping

After adjusting for inflation, average hourly earnings haven't increased in 50 years.

In short... while CEOs and shareholders have been cashing in, wages as a percent of the economy have dropped to an all-time low.

In other words, in the struggle between "labor" and "capital," capital has basically won. (This man lives in a tent city in Lakewood, New Jersey, about a hundred miles from Wall Street. He would presumably be "labor," except that he lost his job and can't find another one.)