Old  March 13th, 2019, 2:31pm     #1
judyv01510
Gone Camping

college scam
I am appalled at this fraud. The rich think they deserve whatever money can buy. I bet they get away with a slap on the wrist like, Paul Manafort who got 47 months when a poor person would get 19 to 25 yrs. The guilty rich get less then the innocent poor.

I would like their children kicked out of the colleges. I know many of them did not know about the scam but they are there and they don't deserve it. The ones that did know should be prosecuted along with their parents.

As you can tell I am mad as hell.
  Old  March 13th, 2019, 2:44pm     #2
Ashook
Senior Master Sweeper

Agreed
They stole opportunities from those who have worked their butts off to honestly get into those colleges. :rolleyes3

This type of thing goes on far more than we are aware of I'm sure, hope they are made an example of and fined out the ying-yang, and the money is put towards school grant programs.

Good Luck!
  Old  March 13th, 2019, 2:46pm     #3
plazamama
Senior Master Sweeper

Not news to me. We've always known the rich kids get into the best schools.

Like finding out last year that women are expected to have sex with ugly old men to get the best movie roles.

I knew both these facts since I was a teen, over 50 years ago.

What next, we'll find out politicians have to compromise their ideals to get elected?

Sorry if I sound sarcastic, I'm not. Just trying to be witty. I already tried that once today with a friend on IM, and it went over like a lead balloon. Maybe I should just stay in my own lane, the 'you're not witty' lane. lol

Take comfort that some people are paying the price now.:)
  Old  March 13th, 2019, 3:17pm     #4
Ashook
Senior Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by plazamama View Post

Like finding out last year that women are expected to have sex with ugly old men to get the best movie roles.

What next, we'll find out politicians have to compromise their ideals to get elected?

Sorry if I sound sarcastic, I'm not. Just trying to be witty. I already tried that once today with a friend on IM, and it went over like a lead balloon. Maybe I should just stay in my own lane, the 'you're not witty' lane. lol

Is that what happened to FB :laugh:

:gvibes: Hope you are feeling better :gvibes:

Good Luck!
  Old  March 13th, 2019, 3:41pm     #5
gitpicker
Master Sweeper

They will get off scot-free. This is no different than American history has always been. The wealthy, immoral human slave owners were once supported by the masses who, although they didn't own any slaves, wanted the opportunity to so they supported the concept.

In today's America the majority seem to want the chance to become rich and powerful so they support (and even admire) the very wealthy in their criminal actions, all the while hoping and praying for the same "influencer" lifestyle.

The change will come when we all act in accordance with what is righteous for all humanity and that is where my heart is. :grouphug:

Love trumps hate
  Old  March 13th, 2019, 4:47pm     #6
plazamama
Senior Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashook View Post
Is that what happened to FB :laugh:

:gvibes: Hope you are feeling better :gvibes:
Thank you for your concern!

I was invited to Saturday brunch with a group of a dozen action-oriented ladies. I'm thinkin' Belgian Waffle + Bacon + Bloody Mary + Good Company = :cool2:
  Old  March 13th, 2019, 4:59pm     #7
Sunshine66
Senior Sweeper

https://www.theroot.com/remember-tha...d-2-1833241931

:gvibes:
  Old  March 13th, 2019, 5:09pm     #8
mcclave
Gone Camping

From what I understand this kind of thing has been going on for a very long time. These few just happened to get caught that's all.
  Old  March 13th, 2019, 5:15pm     #9
Rhozalea
Grand Master Sweeper

Unhappy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine66 View Post

O my
It never ends
Does it
Political ? All over the room!!
As someone above said

I paraphrase

Why can't we all just get along,
And do unto others

I cried because I had no shoes. Then I met a man who had no feet

Persian Proverb
  Old  March 13th, 2019, 5:32pm     #10
hawkshoe
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by plazamama View Post

This it my take on it as well. No surprise here. This crap has been going on forever.
  Old  March 13th, 2019, 6:06pm     #11
bomar97
Grand Master Sweeper

Just the tip of the iceberg! The wealthy have their own "world" and Hollywood has their own "world" totally different than the rest of us.

Lights went dark.... ..... ......
  Old  March 13th, 2019, 8:24pm     #12
TawnyNY
Senior Master Sweeper

Not surprised at all! The wealthy and famous have been paying for and handed privileges and entitlements the poor and middle class can only dream about! Not to mention being able to buy their way out of legal troubles. ok,maybe not this time. But we'll see...
  Old  March 13th, 2019, 9:12pm     #13
plazamama
Senior Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TawnyNY View Post
Not surprised at all! The wealthy and famous have been paying for and handed privileges and entitlements the poor and middle class can only dream about! Not to mention being able to buy their way out of legal troubles. ok,maybe not this time. But we'll see...
yep we'll see
  Old  March 13th, 2019, 10:50pm     #14
duknuk
Grand Master Sweeper

When I read the newspapers I tend to think this country has lost its mind and there is no integrity left anywhere.

But then I realize newspapers don't write about decent folks.

So I spend time here. :)

~~~~~

Fact: An opinion without 3.14 is an onion.

(You'll understand tomorrow.) :laugh:

....duknuk's chicks are here!
  Old  March 14th, 2019, 1:05am     #15
maria1234
Master Sweeper

I'm a educational consultant and have been on both sides of the admission desk, most recently on the high school side before we moved for my husband's job and no high school counseling jobs were available.

The scales have always been tipped toward the wealthy. They can pay for the most expensive high schools, test prep, or costly athletics (hello! you need a boat for sailing or a horse to be an equestrian or access to a golf course, etc) or more brazenly pay for a building on campus. Some 14% of Harvard students are legacy. The access has always been there, the explicit fraud has not and that is very upsetting for so many reasons.

Any truly professional consultant or counselor belongs to the primary professional organization NACAC being the national organization that ethically binds us. I also belong to WACAC (the western chapter) and 1 of 2 independent counseling professional organizations. I do this work to help students and parents understand the college application process, teach them how to research colleges, and help them find the best fit. Folks like me charge a fair price for academic advising, college list development, standardized testing advice (like which test and when) and application support. I am very clear that it is the student's responsibility to complete everything with the exception of the financial aid forms which falls to the parents. I will review to ensure there are no blanks on the application and will review essays, but I would never write an essay for a student! That's ridiculous and so very wrong and don't even get me started on the testing!

I don't believe for a single second the students did not know about this. There are too many parts of the process for them to be so disengaged and some of them posed for pictures doing their so called sports. 80 percent of my work is just with the student so any claim of innocence is BS. They should be expelled! Every student signs an affidavit when they submit their application that their submission is factual and true. Their spots should then be offered to transfer students who would enter their class.

The other thing that has been obvious to me for a long time is that at all of these schools, athletic recruits will beat out academic admits every day of the week. I actually do believe admissions reps did not know about the bribes to coaches. They're given a list from athletics and probably from development too with the mandatory admits. It's also why I hate early decision. They admit lower performing folks during early because they have to know the GPA and test score numbers they need to maintain their averages for US News rankings for their regular decision pool, who usually apply regular because they can't financially commit to the $52,000 annual tuition for 4 years.

As angry as I am, I'm not surprised. I'm glad this is coming out especially with the Harvard Affirmative Action case happening. We need something like affirmative action to help even the playing field. Colleges should have every right to admit a promising student who has lower test scores because they could never afford a $1200 prep class, or is at a high school that has police presence but zero counselors.

I could rant for hours. Prison for the parents and facilitators and expulsion for the students.

Maria