Old  April 21st, 2006, 2:31pm     #151
melalyssa
Senior Master Sweeper

AWWWW!!! Thanks for the new pics to brighten my day!

Check out my WINS!!
  Old  April 21st, 2006, 3:09pm     #152
duknuk
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalisgirl
Would you mind if I put a link of my chick site in this thread? Great pics by the way!! The new girls are gorgeous!

ARE YOU KIDDING? I'D LOVE IT! And so would everyone who's posted here.

Kalisgirl, I was thinking of you this morning ... trying to remember if you had gotten any Easter Eggers last year? It would be great to see how your flock has grown.

....duknuk's chicks are here!
  Old  April 21st, 2006, 3:21pm     #153
carolpie
Senior Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by duknuk
Today's blue eggs are in Post # 142, along with the pics of the Araucanas.

FYI, they're not true Araucanas, as most in this country are mixed with other breeds, but those that are called by this name retain the blue egg gene. A true Araucana is rumpless, that is, has no tail.

It's always sad about deformed chicks and dead ones, but in order to avoid that, I would have had to avoid having all the joy that goes along with keeping a flock.

That's life. You're born, you live, you die ... and hopefully you will be missed.

The more colorful feathered of the Araucanas layed the duller blue egg and the duller feathered of the Araucanas layed the bright blue egg. I kind of suspected that would be the case, as the duller feathered hen has bluer feet.

HERE'S A PIC OF THE CHICKS WHEN THEY WERE 4 DAYS OLD:

I didn't know that about Araucanas. We had one a few years ago and thought it was funny because she had no tail and we named her Nubb. She layed green eggs. Don't have her anymore because coyotes made a daytime attack and killed all of our chickens that time.
We also had a Pymouth Bar Rock that lived a few years and had a deformed beak. Right now we have 4 ducks and 6 chickens and way too many eggs. LOL
  Old  April 21st, 2006, 3:57pm     #154
duknuk
Grand Master Sweeper

That's interesting, you had a genuine Araucana. The eggs come in blue, green, olive green, depending on breed.

If worse comes to worst, you can always hard boil your extra eggs and give them, shell included, back to your fowl. It will improve the quality of their eggs. You know to smush them so they don't look like fresh eggs.

This is from: http://www.blpbooks.co.uk/articles/e...ell_colour.php

The colour of eggshells is the result of pigments being deposited during egg formation within the oviduct. The type of pigment depends upon the breed and is genetically determined.

In 1933, Professor Punnett demonstrated that the blue egg factor is a dominant gene (genetic symbol O).

All eggs are initially white, and shell colour is the result of the pigments called porphyrins being deposited while the eggs are in the process of formation. In the case of the Rhode Island Red, the brown pigment protoporphyrin, derived from haemoglobin in the blood, is what gives the shell its light brown colour.

The Araucana produces a pigment called oocyanin, which is a product of bile formation, and results in blue or bluish-green eggs. Interestingly, the colour goes right through the shell, making the eggs difficult to candle during incubation. This factor is also an indication of the relative purity of the stock in relation to original Araucanas. The original shell colour of Araucana eggs is blue, but a variety of colours have been produced by crossing Araucanas with other breeds, as follows ...

Old  April 21st, 2006, 4:06pm     #155
mcclave
Grand Master Sweeper

Cool Chicks!! Thanks for the update!!

I'm still here for a reason and it's my responsibility to get up everyday and fight the good fight. Spread the joy wherever I go and drive out darkness with light and hate with love.
  Old  April 21st, 2006, 5:06pm     #156
carolpie
Senior Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by duknuk
That's interesting, you had a genuine Araucana. The eggs come in blue, green, olive green, depending on breed.

If worse comes to worst, you can always hard boil your extra eggs and give them, shell included, back to your fowl. It will improve the quality of their eggs. You know to smush them so they don't look like fresh eggs.

This is from: http://www.blpbooks.co.uk/articles/e...ell_colour.php

The colour of eggshells is the result of pigments being deposited during egg formation within the oviduct. The type of pigment depends upon the breed and is genetically determined.

In 1933, Professor Punnett demonstrated that the blue egg factor is a dominant gene (genetic symbol O).

All eggs are initially white, and shell colour is the result of the pigments called porphyrins being deposited while the eggs are in the process of formation. In the case of the Rhode Island Red, the brown pigment protoporphyrin, derived from haemoglobin in the blood, is what gives the shell its light brown colour.

The Araucana produces a pigment called oocyanin, which is a product of bile formation, and results in blue or bluish-green eggs. Interestingly, the colour goes right through the shell, making the eggs difficult to candle during incubation. This factor is also an indication of the relative purity of the stock in relation to original Araucanas. The original shell colour of Araucana eggs is blue, but a variety of colours have been produced by crossing Araucanas with other breeds, as follows ...
We got the chick at a real old fashioned feed store for the dairy farmers here.

As far as too many eggs, I heard to do that before, but my DH just finds it easier to give them oyster shell. I just try to give them to as many friends , relatives and neighbors as I can. Hate to waste such a wonderful thing. I will never be happy with store eggs after this. We also love the duck eggs. Do you or have you ever had ducks? They are so cool also. We just love these birds and don't know if we like the chickens or ducks better. It is so neat to see them in the yard and they are very pretty animals. And yes, they do eat anything! It is amazing.

You have given me lots of info that has been very helpful. How many years have you been doing this? I liked the link on the chicken anatomy. Now I know the eggs are clean, they just get dirty from other things. The duck eggs are an interesting color to me. They are kind of white but also have greenish color spots on them and are very hard shelled. Not as refined as the chicken eggs.

Around here you can't have foul unless you have a half acre. And we got a rooster by mistake-he was so beautiful, but someone complained and the county took him. You have to have an acre for a rooster. I think it was some fancy new home development below us and they also reported that we had cows, etc. Well, we don't, but could have 2 and gotas, etc. but it is limited.
  Old  April 21st, 2006, 5:09pm     #157
kalisgirl
Senior Sweeper

Yes, we have three Easter Eggers. One looks a lot like your girls. They all lay green eggs. Here is a link to my chicken site if anyone wants to see the changes my girls went through growing up:

http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/commun...pid=166401&ck=
  Old  April 21st, 2006, 5:20pm     #158
carolpie
Senior Master Sweeper

Quote:
Yes, we have three Easter Eggers. One looks a lot like your girls. They all lay green eggs. Here is a link to my chicken site if anyone wants to see the changes my girls went through growing up:

Nice pictures and your eggs look cute!
  Old  April 21st, 2006, 6:10pm     #159
kalisgirl
Senior Sweeper

Thanks. Don't let those eggs fool you. No matter how cute they look we are still going to eat them.
  Old  April 21st, 2006, 6:20pm     #160
carolpie
Senior Master Sweeper

Quote:
Thanks. Don't let those eggs fool you. No matter how cute they look we are still going to eat them.
YUM!!
  Old  April 21st, 2006, 6:33pm     #161
duknuk
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolpie
We got the chick at a real old fashioned feed store for the dairy farmers here.

As far as too many eggs, I heard to do that before, but my DH just finds it easier to give them oyster shell. I just try to give them to as many friends , relatives and neighbors as I can. That's the best way to get rid of them. I was just sayin' if you had no other options. Oyster shell is so much better than calcium chips. I had to use the latter for awhile and my hens had problems. We give our girls any shells from our use. There's always a little egg material in it and they love it. Chickens invented recycling! Hate to waste such a wonderful thing. I will never be happy with store eggs after this. We also love the duck eggs.

Do you or have you ever had ducks? I had 2 Muscovy ducks in the mid '70's. They're the ones that don't quack. They are so cool also. We just love these birds and don't know if we like the chickens or ducks better. It is so neat to see them in the yard and they are very pretty animals. And yes, they do eat anything! It is amazing.

You have given me lots of info that has been very helpful.

How many years have you been doing this? Off and on for 33 years. More off than on, actually. But the passion never died during those non-fowl years.

I liked the link on the chicken anatomy. Now I know the eggs are clean, they just get dirty from other things. A LOT of people don't understand how the eggs come out sterile. The duck eggs are an interesting color to me. They are kind of white but also have greenish color spots on them and are very hard shelled. Not as refined as the chicken eggs.

Around here you can't have foul unless you have a half acre. And we got a rooster by mistake-he was so beautiful, but someone complained and the county took him. You have to have an acre for a rooster. I think it was some fancy new home development below us and they also reported that we had cows, etc. Well, we don't, but could have 2 and gotas, etc. but it is limited.

Old  April 21st, 2006, 6:36pm     #162
duknuk
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:

THANKS FOR SHARING.

You did a good job raising them. They turned out beautiful. That was a treat seeing them all grown up ... well, almost. They'll fill out more during the 2nd year.

I noticed your Eggers have greenish legs and lay green eggs. Mine have blueish legs and lay blue eggs. I wonder if this is a genetic pattern, or just a coincidence.

You pick out nice names. I wasn't going to name my girls, as I never had before, but after awhile it got tedious to tell my ds or dh what "the one that has that dark feather around the shoulder" was doing. Naming them has helped in that respect and it also helps me keep track when I'm taking care of a routine, such as dusting them.

Old  April 21st, 2006, 6:58pm     #163
carolpie
Senior Master Sweeper

Oh I knew you meant if I had no other options. I guess with all the other stuff we have to do around here we just haven't. This house was a repo and it has been nothing but work. Plus the barn and yardwork and horse and dog and life...LOL But I am sure it is a better way.
  Old  April 21st, 2006, 7:12pm     #164
Revawter
Gone Camping

Duknuk, I you! The pictures of the babies on the windowsill made me get all teary eyed!

I have loved reading this thread with my kids and I really hope you consider writing a book one day!
  Old  April 21st, 2006, 7:31pm     #165
duknuk
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revawter
Duknuk, I you! The pictures of the babies on the windowsill made me get all teary eyed!

I have loved reading this thread with my kids and I really hope you consider writing a book one day!

I'm working on it.

When I used to read about chickens (when I was in-between chickens) all the books were mostly helpful books with the occasional anecdote thrown in. I devoured the stories more than the info. The info went into the corner of my brain I call "the coop," but the anecdotes went straight to my heart. And I got tears in my eyes too.

So far, I've got 26 pages.

Tags
chickens, chicks, coops, eggs, sex