Old  August 16th, 2005, 9:40pm     #1
*Harriett*
Senior Master Sweeper

If you have won snail mailing, please help me!
I am new at snail mail and sweeps. I have a couple of questions.

1) Are most of your contest wins through snail mail contests?

2) How do you about deciding which snail mail contest are worth entering?

3) How often do you enter the daily snail contest?

4) How many or % of those daily, (if you send in entries almost daily), have you won as oppose to the one time enty snail mai?

I guess I am just trying to see what methods of snail mail people are using and what is working and not working.

Thanks in advance for your help!
  Old  August 16th, 2005, 9:49pm     #2
Jinxed One
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by htalfor
1) Are most of your contest wins through snail mail contests
nope, most of my wins are from online sweeps

Quote:
2) How do you about deciding which snail mail contest are worth entering
if its local its definitely worth entering, if they are giving away more than 1 prize its worth entering to me,
also if has certain restrictions could mean better odds, skill contests etc

Quote:
i have a 5-10 entry limit for nationwide snails, 10 entry maximum for locals- i usually spread them out. dont mega enter,thats what i did when i was new to snails.

Quote:
4) How many or % of those daily, (if you send in entries almost daily), have you won as oppose to the one time enty snail mai??
majority of the ones i enter are unlimited. very few are daily, ive never won a one time entry snail before. the snail wins i have are from unlimited or daily sweeps.
  Old  August 16th, 2005, 9:50pm     #3
eyowyn
Senior Master Sweeper

never won from snail-all my wins came from online!

Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that
take our breath away." ~ George Carlin

The only thing neccesary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

I will go and I will do, I might just murmur the entire way.
  Old  August 16th, 2005, 9:53pm     #4
clallen1971
Grand Master Sweeper

i enter a few but i have only won from one. it was a nick.com contest and i entered my child 2 times and we won a whackamole game...
  Old  August 16th, 2005, 9:59pm     #5
NannetteRy
Senior Sweeper

I enter a lot of snail mails and I've only won once. All my wins come from the online contests. I have put a lot of money into postage and have yet to see the results.
  Old  August 16th, 2005, 10:05pm     #6
rdhill007
Master Sweeper

I started snail mailing in June and I have won two coolers from Smithfield so far. I check most of the big company online sweepstakes for a snail mail address. Some have them and some don't. The snail mail that I won on was not listed in the forums section. So far I have spent $74 on postage, $3 on envelopes and $1 on index cards. Unless there are a lot of prizes, I do not enter. I still have stamps and stuff leftover.

I also snail mailed an entry into Hatfield for my aunt and she won $520 in gift certificates from them.

My online wins consist of a toilet seat, a mug from WaWa(I won today) and a CD from Fox network.
  Old  August 16th, 2005, 10:08pm     #7
susan1215
Senior Master Sweeper

I enter some snails and I just started getting Sweepsheet which is a good newsletter for snail mailers. I have just started so the majority of my wins have been online. I will enter a snail mail if it has a lot of prizes and/or it's only open to a small area. I send in 5 max per sweep spread thoughout the lengeth of the sweep period. I only enter through the mail if they cannot be entered online. A lot of the sweeps have an entry limit of one per person or household which I like because it gives everyone an equal chance. Spending money on stamps can really add up so I have to watch myself that I stay within a budget.
  Old  August 16th, 2005, 10:12pm     #8
joenkim
Master Sweeper

I have definitely won 2 sweeps with snailmail--

One was a postcard I sent in for Nick.com (for a GP trip) and daughter won a big Polly Pocket 2nd prize roller coaster.

The 2nd was a local/regional sweeps that had entry blanks in the grocery stores, one winner per store. There was a limit of 2 entries per person so I sent in 2 for me and 2 for hubby. Hubby won a $400 cookware set.

A 3rd sweeps which I MAY have won (don't know for sure) was a daily entry and allowed for mail-ins. I sent about 3 mails spaced over a month and I entered 1x daily for about 60 days. There were 5 trips awarded and I won 1 of those trips, another winner who I met had sent in only snail-mails and she said she had sent in 10, total.

BUT in the final analysis, I have won more with online entries than with snail mails--by far.
  Old  August 16th, 2005, 10:19pm     #9
Denice
Master Sweeper

Quote:
1) Are most of your contest wins through snail mail contests?
I would say that my wins are about 50/50 ... online/snails. My biggest win $5500 cash was a daily online ... my largest win this year was a snail mail entry ~ $1500 Best Buy gift card.

Quote:
2) How do you about deciding which snail mail contest are worth entering?
I subscribe to a wonderful snail mail newsletter ... there are bunches of them, but I like Sweepsheet. It helped me figure out which ones were decent bets and I also like that they have online forum for regional and local sweeps that is only for members.

For the ones that I come across on my own or at OLS, I consider the following
  • Do I like the prize ... it is worth 1 entry
    Are there lots of cool prizes ... I'll probably enter 4-5 times
    Is it a short entry period or limited in some way ... worth 1 entry

Quote:
That depends on what the prize is and if there are multiple prizes. If the prize is something that I really like, I might enter it up to 10 times. But generally if there is only one prize, I probably will limit my entries to about 7 ... seems to be my "magic" number for most of my wins.

Quote:
4) How many or % of those daily, (if you send in entries almost daily), have you won as oppose to the one time enty snail mai?
Hard to say really ... I have won a decent amount of single entries this year and I have also won several daily entries. And it depends on my mail budget for the month ... I am not going to do snails if it means my kids have to eat peanut butter sandwiches for a week.

Quote:
I guess I am just trying to see what methods of snail mail people are using and what is working and not working.
Ask 10 snail mailer how they do it ... and you will get 10 different answers. I love the forum at Sweepsheet because it helped me see what was working for those who were winning a lot.

Also, I joined a local sweepstakes club and we share what is working for us. It helps to have others around who are doing this crazy hobby.

Good luck!!

Denice . . . . Sailing into the wins . . .
  Old  August 16th, 2005, 10:22pm     #10
Inkyskeeper
Grand Master Sweeper

plain and simple
way for me is to enter only the ones that have BIG Cash Prizes or have a prize high valued. i had send in 5 entrys forthe hilton 1.000.000 points giveaway and because i had entered EARLY i won. The guy said the frist pile was small, so my chances of winning were pretty darn good and he also told me to always enter right at the start when hilton runs a contest...oh now i gave away a little secret lol. This one was a mail in only, no online entry, and thats how they run either contests for mail in, send in early and your chances are doubled basicly.

I've been mailing entrys for a big win for the past 3 weeks and im now up to 180 entrys for this one sweep,i want to win so i am spending as much as i can on this sweep. It could pay off and if it does i'll FAINT, lol...the prize is huge. I wont say which sweep this is because it is listed and you will have to find it yourself lol...i had to and im glad i did a little searching here.

Anyhow, do as you feel, just make sure that you enter EARLY, thats my best advice for mail in entrys.

Old  August 16th, 2005, 10:24pm     #11
sheila10253
Senior Master Sweeper

Hello South Carolina. I am in the upstate a few miles from Clemson! All of my wins listed here are OLS except for the Winn Dixie Gift card and that was a local phone in that was listed on here. I won several prizes (all small) a few yrs ago snail mail and have just recently started back snailing in the last couple of mths. Both of my kids are grown (but still at home)and I dont work so I have alot of time on my hands.I do have lots of hobbies and intereststo fill my time but I spend most of my time and effort here! Welcome and best of luck to you. My advice is enter, enter and enter some more.

My Wins
  Old  August 16th, 2005, 10:53pm     #12
*Harriett*
Senior Master Sweeper

Thank you guys so much! This information has really helped me. Wish me luck and i wish the same to you all! Thanks so much!!
  Old  August 16th, 2005, 11:03pm     #13
raymondisadore
Master Sweeper

Rarely Enter Thru Snail-mail--just On-line Sweeps. Sometimes Enter Sweepstakes Found In Adds In The Sunday Paper But That's The Extent.

WOOF--JUST PLAIN AND SIMPLE