Old  September 12th, 2018, 6:15pm     #1
Brittles
Master Sweeper

Tell Me About Your Pets
Big time animal lover here and would love to hear about your pets (how you got them, how old they are, how you came up with their names, what are there personalities, etc....)

I will start by telling you about my two cats. My oldest is Desiree, she's 9 and I've had her since she was about 5 weeks old. Found her in my front yard and gave her the name of Desiree because she was a tiger tabby and I had always desired a cat that was one. She's very affectionate (loves to smother me with kisses) and also very rambunctious (always knocking things down around here).

My other cat is Allie. She's a little over 2 years old and I adopted her from a local rescue group in April of 2017 when she was just over 9 months old. She was named by the rescue when she and her two brothers were found in a cemetery and given the names Edgar, Allie, & Poe. She doesn't give kisses like Desiree (on occasion I will get a couple of them), but she loves to snuggle with me. She's playful, but not rambunctious.

Finally, the two of them are best buddies. Love to play together and sleep together.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
  Old  September 12th, 2018, 6:27pm     #2
Coastal Sunshine
Master Sweeper

Down to just one pet. Put our 16 year old cat "Minnie" down a few years ago. She was white with a black head and ears and just reminded me of Minnie Mouse.

Our dog Scooter is now 17. She has heart/kidney/allergy issues, but keeps on tickin. Don't remember why we named her Scooter.

We got her from a co-worker in the fall of 2001 (after we put our 14 year old dog "Croaker" down) right after 9-11.

We named him Croaker cause when he was a pup, he would make a noise like a croaking fish.

All are mixed breeds.

Old  September 12th, 2018, 6:31pm     #3
Brittles
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal Sunshine View Post
Down to just one pet. Put our 16 year old cat "Minnie" down a few years ago. She was white with a black head and ears and just reminded me of Minnie Mouse.

Our dog Scooter is now 17. She has heart/kidney/allergy issues, but keeps on tickin. Don't remember why we named her Scooter.

We got her from a co-worker in the fall of 2001 (after we put our 14 year old dog "Croaker" down) right after 9-11.

We named him Croaker cause when he was a pup, he would make a noise like a croaking fish.

All are mixed breeds.
Love the names and the reasons behind them. Sorry for the loss of Minnie and Croaker, I know how hard that is. My previous cat Lily (named because she was pure white) had to be euthanized one month after her 11th birthday due to heart failure.

Old  September 12th, 2018, 6:53pm     #4
chrissybum
Master Sweeper

I have a 2 year old Miniature Schnauzer named Rocky. He is the sweetest little boy. He is our 3rd min. schnauzer; we just love them.

Chrissy
Apple iPod (arv $300)
10 personal trainer sessions & 4 hours nutritionist (arv $1400) dvd (arv $20)
Trip to LA for taping of Will & Grace show($3000)
  Old  September 12th, 2018, 7:03pm     #5
Brittles
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissybum View Post
I have a 2 year old Miniature Schnauzer named Rocky. He is the sweetest little boy. He is our 3rd min. schnauzer; we just love them.
I have heard wonderful things about schnauzer's. A friend of mine has about 6 of them. My brother had a a schnauzer poodle mix (schnoodle) and she was one of the cutest, smartest and sweetest dogs I've ever met.

Old  September 12th, 2018, 7:18pm     #6
hkh220
Sweeper

love
A topic I love to discuss!!!! I have two cats- Keller who is almost 2 and Marc Paffi the cat who is a little over 1. I love cats and had been wanting one SO badly and saw a picture of Keller...he was a very sad looking cat with a VERY badly infected eye...he was found on the streets alone :-(.I knew I had to adopt him!! We went to meet him in person and it was honestly love at first sight, he was SO sassy and brave! Keller was very very sick when we first adopted him..constantly on medications..for his eye, for a cold, for his stomach ETC. We were going to the vet literally every other week. Along with all of his kitty sicknesses we did not know if he would be able to keep his eye...I came home one day from work and his eye was bleeding and had burst.. we took him in and they had it removed- thankfully the place we adopted him from paid for it.. would have been thousands..but I still would have paid!! MY second cat Marc Paffi's story is a lot more simple.. I wanted Keller to have a companion while we were at work and I saw him and fell in love.. again! Marc Paffi is a very chill and chubby kitty- who constantly wants to be fed.

They have their own instagram if anyone wants to follow!
https://www.instagram.com/fatboykell/
  Old  September 12th, 2018, 7:40pm     #7
Brittles
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkh220 View Post
A topic I love to discuss!!!! I have two cats- Keller who is almost 2 and Marc Paffi the cat who is a little over 1. I love cats and had been wanting one SO badly and saw a picture of Keller...he was a very sad looking cat with a VERY badly infected eye...he was found on the streets alone :-(.I knew I had to adopt him!! We went to meet him in person and it was honestly love at first sight, he was SO sassy and brave! Keller was very very sick when we first adopted him..constantly on medications..for his eye, for a cold, for his stomach ETC. We were going to the vet literally every other week. Along with all of his kitty sicknesses we did not know if he would be able to keep his eye...I came home one day from work and his eye was bleeding and had burst.. we took him in and they had it removed- thankfully the place we adopted him from paid for it.. would have been thousands..but I still would have paid!! MY second cat Marc Paffi's story is a lot more simple.. I wanted Keller to have a companion while we were at work and I saw him and fell in love.. again! Marc Paffi is a very chill and chubby kitty- who constantly wants to be fed.

They have their own instagram if anyone wants to follow!
https://www.instagram.com/fatboykell/
Oh they are so adorable! Just clicked to follow them on Instagram and if you want to follow back I am @brittles526 (most of my posts are pictures of my girls). So sad that poor Keller had to lose his eye, nice though that the place you adopted from paid for the surgery to remove it.

My Desiree was very sick when I found her in the yard (conjunctivitis, upper respiratory, fleas, ear mites and a wound on her neck) and the first bill was over $400 and in the first few months that I had her there was several hundred dollars more spent between routine shots, spaying and care of the issues she had, but she was well worth it.

Old  September 12th, 2018, 7:44pm     #8
hkh220
Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brittles View Post
Oh they are so adorable! Just clicked to follow them on Instagram and if you want to follow back I am @brittles526 (most of my posts are pictures of my girls). So sad that poor Keller had to lose his eye, nice though that the place you adopted from paid for the surgery to remove it.

My Desiree was very sick when I found her in the yard (conjunctivitis, upper respiratory, fleas, ear mites and a wound on her neck) and the first bill was over $400 and in the first few months that I had her there was several hundred dollars more spent between routine shots, spaying and care of the issues she had, but she was well worth it.
I saw,I followed back- your cats are so cute!!!! IF i was wealthy I would foster cats ..it is my dream!!!!!
  Old  September 12th, 2018, 7:49pm     #9
Brittles
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkh220 View Post
I saw,I followed back- your cats are so cute!!!! IF i was wealthy I would foster cats ..it is my dream!!!!!
Thank you! Right now I cannot have anymore cats, but next year I hope to sell the house I inherited and buy a home of my own. Once that's done I plan to adopt and/or foster more kitties. BTW, I believe that the cost of fostering is taken care of by the rescue/shelter that you work with, so perhaps you can do it.

Old  September 12th, 2018, 8:03pm     #10
sweepmama
Grand Master Sweeper

I have Aquariums
I have a 55 gallon, 29 gallon, 30 gallon freshwater tanks. I have a 29 gallon marine tank in my bedroom and two 1 gallon betta tanks in my bedroom as well. I love my fish. I recently bought an arrow crab for the marine tank to help with the bristle worms. This guy is amazing. My son named him Gen. I have lots of different kinds of fish. Some of them even know their names.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bristleworms3.jpg (63.8 KB, 29 views)

Old  September 12th, 2018, 8:19pm     #11
Brittles
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweepmama View Post
I have a 55 gallon, 29 gallon, 30 gallon freshwater tanks. I have a 29 gallon marine tank in my bedroom and two 1 gallon betta tanks in my bedroom as well. I love my fish. I recently bought an arrow crab for the marine tank to help with the bristle worms. This guy is amazing. My son named him Gen. I have lots of different kinds of fish. Some of them even know their names.
Never heard of an arrow crab, very cool looking! And I think it's so neat that some of the fish know their names.

Old  September 12th, 2018, 8:41pm     #12
MrsWW
Master Sweeper

My Charlie Dog just went to Doggy Heaven on September 1. He was a blonde cockapoo (cocker spaniel and poodle). He was not quite nine. He died of a seizure. He had many medical problems (allergies, seizures, diabetes, thyroid problem and dry eye). He cost me a small fortune in vet bills but that's okay. He was a sweet dog. I got him when he was five months from my co-worker's mom who had got him as a therapy dog, but he didn't quite fit her life.

I still have my Oscar. He's an orange and white cat. He's 14. My middle son and his then girlfriend got him as a kitten from a farm. My son got to keep him after they broke up because he was the one that had paid to have him neutered. When Shannon moved out, I wouldn't let him take Oscar. Oscar is an inside/outside cat and I was afraid he would get lost. His favorite things are head butts.
  Old  September 12th, 2018, 8:57pm     #13
Brittles
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsWW View Post
My Charlie Dog just went to Doggy Heaven on September 1. He was a blonde cockapoo (cocker spaniel and poodle). He was not quite nine. He died of a seizure. He had many medical problems (allergies, seizures, diabetes, thyroid problem and dry eye). He cost me a small fortune in vet bills but that's okay. He was a sweet dog. I got him when he was five months from my co-worker's mom who had got him as a therapy dog, but he didn't quite fit her life.

I still have my Oscar. He's an orange and white cat. He's 14. My middle son and his then girlfriend got him as a kitten from a farm. My son got to keep him after they broke up because he was the one that had paid to have him neutered. When Shannon moved out, I wouldn't let him take Oscar. Oscar is an inside/outside cat and I was afraid he would get lost. His favorite things are head butts.
So sorry for the loss of your Charlie.

Old  September 12th, 2018, 11:17pm     #14
andee506
Master Sweeper

We had an Australian shepherd that we had to put down last Nov. He was 11. We also had a Puganese who is now 11. So last Dec. 23 we rescued (what we found out later) a Rat Terrier from the local animal control.She was estimated being 3 months old.Her brother was just being adopted as we walked in,and they told us his sister was still in the back.They had just become able to be adopted. We went back, and I teared up....she was laying in a little bed, with such LOUD barking all over and surrounded by pit bulls,labs and huge dogs in cages all around. I still can't believe anyone would not try to find her and her brother a home, or rescue group first. She is the type of dog who needs warmth.It was Dec. Well, she latched on to us at home so much that she wouldn't let our Pug show us affection. I never had a dog like her.I love her to death. She loves my husband and me so much.But being in animal control made me so sad.I looked into the eyes of all the dogs down the row.I brought them treats for a couple weeks, I was so incredibly sad for those big dogs that probably wouldn't get adopted.
  Old  September 12th, 2018, 11:49pm     #15
pearlleemay
Senior Master Sweeper

We have two cats, Mariel and Sheba. Mariel is 18 with 3 legs and Sheba is 16. We recently had to euthanize our Min Pin mix who we adopted from a friend of our daughters, who could not keep her. Her age kept changing. First she was supposedly two, then she was suppose to be 5. Then we noticed she was almost totally deaf , she had a horrible cough and walked like an old man. Finally, she ended up getting really sick and the vet put her on pain pills and antibiotics which didnít help. We took her back to the vet for a follow up and they found disk compression and a huge abdominal tumor. The vet also said she was more like 12 based on her arthritis in her spine. We had her only 10 months but she was a wonderful little dog that got along well with our 28 pound mini schnauzer (not so mini , not all schnauzer). Our schnauzer came from a backyard breeder who also needed a home for her. Sometimes you do not always get what you think you are getting. Once we adopted a dog from the pound who was suppose to be over a year. He got home and chewed up everything in sight and gained 18 pounds in 6 months and grew and grew. He had been a puppy!