Old  April 4th, 2016, 9:55pm     #31
pearlleemay
Senior Master Sweeper

I got my cool weather veges planted. It felt so good to get my hands dirty with soil ! I love playing in the dirt. I also learned that the white stuff leaching off my mushroom compost I got from a local mushroom farm, might not have been salts from manure but a fungus from the mushrooms. It pays to talk to multiple master gardeners. They all have different kinds of knowledge. I love living in a city with one of the farm-ag state universities. I am buying that mushroom compost again, although this time I am letting it sit for a season before using it.
  Old  April 21st, 2016, 12:59pm     #32
Glam
Grand Master Sweeper

I love the surprise of seeing what volunteer plants pop up in our garden.

It's early in our growing season so there will be more volunteers to come, but it's going to be hard to top this:
I found a teeny-tiny rose sprouting in an otherwise empty pot.

Keyboard Warriors are Cowards. #TeamTopKnot
  Old  April 21st, 2016, 8:18pm     #33
caseycupcake
Grand Master Sweeper

Peonies and hosta starting to emerge. So are the bunnies, so out comes the protective barriers. I bought a replacement azalea for the front walkway garden only to be informed that the old one wasn't quite dead yet.
  Old  April 21st, 2016, 10:47pm     #34
GTBuzz
Grand Master Sweeper
Princess Yellow Jacket

My butterfly bushes are so green and lush. It won't be long before they have flowers and I get to see all the pretty butterflies and the hummingbirds!
  Old  April 24th, 2016, 11:36am     #35
caseycupcake
Grand Master Sweeper

Question seed potatoes with long eyes???
Decided to plant potatoes this year in a modified in-ground/container. I'll be planting them in the ground, but instead of hilling, they will have a box container around them and then fill the box as needed.

Bought box of 6 seed Red Norland potatoes. Some of them have eye/tubers that are 6 inches in length. Is that too long? Should I nip them back and hope for new sprouts?
  Old  April 27th, 2016, 8:19pm     #36
caseycupcake
Grand Master Sweeper

Although Hubby has prepared the planting bed for the potatoes, it is still way too cold to plant them. Frost last night and 31 predicted for tonight. Yikes.
  Old  April 29th, 2016, 10:36pm     #37
pearlleemay
Senior Master Sweeper

It is snowing again in northern co. My tomatoes I bought at ace hardware died and I have not checked my community garden plot. We are having a wet / cold spring . I have no idea how my potatoes are doing.
Sigh/ there is a reason that the last frost date is may 15.
  Old  April 29th, 2016, 11:06pm     #38
ResourcePress
Grand Master Sweeper

Dandelions! Might be time to try dandelion flower tea.

Hope to plant oats soon.

Wishing & hoping & thinking & praying, planning & dreaming... and entering!
  Old  April 30th, 2016, 5:05pm     #39
caseycupcake
Grand Master Sweeper

Potatoes planted by Hubby this morning.

Sunny today so I decided to finally plant my azalea in the front flower bed. Didn't get very far before I heard a clunk. What? I know he rotor-tilled that entire bed last year when he created it. So I made the hole bigger. And bigger. Was it a rock? Nope. Asphalt. Not again! At one time, the entire length of the back of the house and most of the front of the house had asphalt walkways (and asphalt landscaping). Such a lovely feature. And thre crowning glory was the gas meter under the picture window in the front of the house. All the asphalt is gone except for the driveway.

Why I encountered asphalt today, I don't know. Must be hubby didn't till deep enough in that one small section. I also dug out some brick chunks and roofing slate.

Pruned the knockout roses and the climber roses. They seemed to have survived our snowless winter.

Peas not looking too productive. Only a few plants managed to germinate. Guess we will get maybe enough peas for a meal.
  Old  April 30th, 2016, 6:51pm     #40
tattwo
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glam View Post
Oh, that sounds heavenly, and your photo is awesome. I often wonder about gardening in the desert - I would love to hear more about what you're growing, how you're adapting your style for the area, your pest and beneficial bugs, etc.

I grow citrus outside in pots and move it indoors every winter. I have different varieties of oranges, limes, lemons and a few calamondins. My largest is 3.5 to 4 feet tall (I prune them to stay a size we can move through the doors and house).

Here's a pic (from 2014) of one of my Persian limes - it's the variety commonly found in grocery stores. They're sold when they're green, but when they're completely ripe they're yellow.

It must be a challenge to bring your citrus indoors. The lime looks wonderful. If we had a larger yard I would love to add a lime and avocado. The citrus are really very easy to maintain; fertilize 3x / year and water 3x / week with our irrigation system.

No luck here with tomato plants. They either dry out if they aren't watered every single day, burn up from the hot sun or the few times we have avoided those problems the tomato hornworms have destroyed them before I noticed they were devouring my plants.
Pepper plants do really well here and we get peppers almost year-round.
The limited amount of annual rainfall we get, about 8", makes you reconsider what you plant.

Many of the flowering shrubs do well here like honeysuckle and oleander without much maintenance.

Fear less, hope more; eat less, chew more; whine less, breathe more; talk less, say more; hate less, love more; and all good things are yours.
-- Swedish Proverb
  Old  May 2nd, 2016, 10:54am     #41
dopey
Grand Master Sweeper

I thought my plants were goners, but I must have gotten them covered in time because I just went out and checked on them and they are looking pretty good. Hopefully that's the last of the : for us.
  Old  May 2nd, 2016, 2:28pm     #42
caseycupcake
Grand Master Sweeper

I transplanted many old (50+ year) peony plants last year. All seem to be doing well. Hopefully they will flower next year.

Random tulips are still popping up in the lawn. Who knows how many years they have been lying dormant? We seem to have the bunnies discouraged from entering our yard--I think that explains the tulips. They finally have enough time to grow some leaves before being eaten! We cage the tulips and then relocate them to the nursery bed at the end of the season. Hopefully this fall we can move those out into a real flower bed.
  Old  May 2nd, 2016, 3:25pm     #43
SweepingBeauty
Grand Master Sweeper

I planted some Gladiolus bulbs and they are doing well. I had a bare spot in the flower bed. I am hoping the spring storms or deer don't get them.

Fighting Thyroid Cancer http://forums.online-sweepstakes.com....php?t=1248254
  Old  May 2nd, 2016, 6:56pm     #44
GTBuzz
Grand Master Sweeper
Princess Yellow Jacket

My knock out roses have bloomed and I already have so many I cut 6 of them and put them in a vase on my kitchen counter. I love the vivid pink and the paler pink combo.

The butterfly bushes are getting close to blooming but not there yet.

I have a cardinal family in my Japanese maple. Well....I have eggs and a mom/dad that yell at me each time I go into the garden. I am sure I will be hearing babies peeping soon.

Old  May 6th, 2016, 11:30am     #45
Glam
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTBuzz View Post
My knock out roses have bloomed and I already have so many I cut 6 of them and put them in a vase on my kitchen counter. I love the vivid pink and the paler pink combo.

The butterfly bushes are getting close to blooming but not there yet.

I have a cardinal family in my Japanese maple. Well....I have eggs and a mom/dad that yell at me each time I go into the garden. I am sure I will be hearing babies peeping soon.

This all sounds lovely. Sending happy hatching vibes for your nest.

True story: I love cardinals, they are one of my favorite birds. In my old neighborhood I saw them all the time, but in this area, hardly ever. Two years ago on Christmas day I was looking out of my third floor window, and suddenly a cardinal landed on my deck railing. I had JUST been telling my husband how I missed seeing them (so much so that I had purchased vintage Christmas fabric featuring cardinals to make curtains, tablecloth, etc), so it really was an amazing Christmas moment.

Keyboard Warriors are Cowards. #TeamTopKnot