View Poll Results: Do the 99ers/ Occupy Wall Streeters represent you?
Yes 65 52.42%
No 59 47.58%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Old  October 13th, 2011, 2:40pm     #226
LindaK
Grand Master Sweeper

Protesters Suspicious of Plan to Clean up NYC Park

Quote:
Protesters expressed fears Thursday that a scheduled cleanup of the private park where they've been camped out near Wall Street is merely a ploy to unravel the demonstration.

As a steady drizzle fell Thursday over the park, owned by Brookfield Properties, confusion was high over when the protesters will be ordered out - and where they'll go during the evacuation.

"The cleanup is a pretext to remove us from the camp. And we can return only if we abide by the rules of Brookfield Properties," said Justin Wedes, 25, a public high school science teacher from Brooklyn who was sweeping the pavement with others. "We're redoubling our efforts today."

Brookfield did not immediately respond to requests for comment on the cleanup. City officials remained mum on logistics.

"This is the cleanest protest I've ever witnessed," said Emilio Montilla, 29, a laid-off teacher's assistant. "We take care of ourselves. We're self-sufficient."

A notice handed out to protesters Thursday from Brookfield stated that the cleaning is part of daily upkeep, and that conditions have deteriorated in recent weeks because that upkeep was put on hold by the protesters.

"They're going to use the cleanup to get us out of here!" Wedes said. "It's a de facto eviction notice."

Deputy Mayor Cas Holloway said in a statement Wednesday that the protest has "created unsanitary conditions and considerable wear and tear on the park." He said Brookfield asked for police help to clear the park so it can be cleaned. ...

The movement has also drawn reaction from world leaders, including President Barack Obama, former Polish President Lech Walesa and Iran's Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.

Walesa said Thursday that he supports the New York protest and is planning to either visit or write a letter to the protesters. He said the global economic crisis has made people aware that "we need to change the capitalist system" because we need "more justice, more people's interests, and less money for money's sake."

Khamenei said Wednesday that the wave of protests reflects a serious problem that will ultimately topple capitalism in America. He claimed the United States is in a full-blown crisis because its "corrupt foundation has been exposed to the American people."

... Protesters, who have been living, sleeping and eating in the park for the duration, say they are in it for the long haul, despite the onset of cold weather.

On Wednesday, police arrested four people outside JP Morgan Chase offices where Wall Street protesters called in vain for a meeting with Chairman and CEO Jamie Dimon. Protesters accused the police of rough handling. An Associated Press photographer witnessed police officers heading into the crowd of demonstrators to make the arrests.

Meanwhile, about 700 members of the Service Employees International Union marched through the Financial District; the union, which represents 23,000 office cleaners, is gearing up for contract negotiations with the Realty Advisory Board. ...

http://www.commondreams.org/headline/2011/10/13-8
  Old  October 13th, 2011, 2:44pm     #227
guruwan2b
Gone Camping

I was concerned something like that would happen when I read that Bloomberg's live in girlfriend is on the board of Brookfield.
  Old  October 13th, 2011, 2:51pm     #228
retrobruce
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hort1 View Post
Looks as if he failed to actually reasearch "POPS." But then, "research" hardly fits the model of "swaggering bully," which seems to be today's persona.
*I'm* the "swaggering bully"? With dozens of you guys throwing slime and personal attacks at me constantly?

LOL...

You are too funny.

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character. ~ Martin Luther King, Jr
  Old  October 13th, 2011, 2:51pm     #229
LindaK
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by guruwan2b View Post
I was concerned something like that would happen when I read that Bloomberg's live in girlfriend is on the board of Brookfield.
Interesting.
  Old  October 13th, 2011, 2:53pm     #230
guruwan2b
Gone Camping

I posted that in one of these threads when we were discussing if the park was private property.
  Old  October 13th, 2011, 3:19pm     #231
sascha_b
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrobruce View Post
Remember when you said this?

It seems that the owners of the park are asserting their propery rights.

http://www.capitalnewyork.com/articl...ccotti-park-fr

Your attempt to say it isn't private property is simply bullshit.
It isn't simply private property. It's a privately owned public space. I'm sorry you've failed to differentiate between the two.

Did you read the letter, by any chance?

"Beliefs do not affect facts. But facts should affect beliefs, if you are rational." ~ Ricky Gervais
  Old  October 13th, 2011, 3:47pm     #232
Faulkner99
Grand Master Sweeper

Rush Limbaugh seems to think he knows who the 99% are.

Mmmmm, fiction. My favorite!
  Old  October 13th, 2011, 4:04pm     #233
Tarah716
Grand Master Sweeper

From what I've seen and heard most of the people out there don't even know what they're protesting. I've heard several different stories. I think it's one huge mess honestly.
  Old  October 13th, 2011, 4:18pm     #234
ppammela
Gone Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarah716 View Post
From what I've seen and heard most of the people out there don't even know what they're protesting. I've heard several different stories. I think it's one huge mess honestly.
Really? Have you bothered listening to interviews with the actual protesters? Have you read the signs they are holding? They each may be protesting different things (some are against the banks and the home mortgage chaos, some may be protesting big business and the wealthy getting further tax breaks, some may be protesting corporations benefiting from the wars, some may be protesting the lack of jobs etc) but they all seem to know WHAT they are protesting against, they just might not all share the exact same message.
  Old  October 13th, 2011, 4:20pm     #235
hort1
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Americans favor Occupy Wall Street far more than Tea Party: Despite nonstop GOP and conservative disparagement of the Wall Street protests, the most detailed polling yet on Occupy Wall Street suggests that the public holds a broadly favorable view of the movement ó and, crucially, the positions it holds.

Time released a new poll this morning finding that 54 percent view the Wall Street protests favorably, versus only 23 percent who think the opposite. Interestingly, only 23 percent say they donít have an opinion, suggesting the protests have succeeded in punching through to the mainstream.

Quote:
Meanwhile, the poll found that only 27 percent have a favorable view of the Tea Party.

Quote:
The above poll also finds that a plurality of Americans, 40 percent, say the Tea Party has had a negative impact on our politics

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...RHhL_blog.html
  Old  October 13th, 2011, 4:44pm     #236
AnnaMolly
Senior Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faulkner99 View Post
Rush Limbaugh seems to think he knows who the 99% are.

lol who would know more about having a meaningless life than Rush Limbaugh!

Destroy demonocracy.
  Old  October 13th, 2011, 4:49pm     #237
ahedden
Senior Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppammela View Post
Really? Have you bothered listening to interviews with the actual protesters? Have you read the signs they are holding? They each may be protesting different things (some are against the banks and the home mortgage chaos, some may be protesting big business and the wealthy getting further tax breaks, some may be protesting corporations benefiting from the wars, some may be protesting the lack of jobs etc) but they all seem to know WHAT they are protesting against, they just might not all share the exact same message.
I have seen some interviewed who didn't really know what they were protesting .

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin
  Old  October 13th, 2011, 4:55pm     #238
ppammela
Gone Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahedden View Post
What reason did they give for protesting then?

BTW Tara stated "most people", which is what I disagree with. I do believe the majority of people protesting are doing so for specific reasons. There may be the "tag along" friends etc who may just show up "just because". But I doubt very much "most" of the people at these protests have no clue why they are there or what they are upset about.
  Old  October 13th, 2011, 4:59pm     #239
ahedden
Senior Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppammela View Post
What reason did they give for protesting then?
He saw it on the news and decided to join but did not know what he was protesting .

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin
  Old  October 13th, 2011, 5:00pm     #240
hort1
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahedden View Post
Well, I've certainly seen some posters here who don't really know what they are doing, either, so there you go.