View Poll Results: Do the 99ers/ Occupy Wall Streeters represent you?
Yes 65 52.42%
No 59 47.58%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Old  October 17th, 2011, 2:37pm     #316
AsTheNight
Senior Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla in Pa View Post
Do they really represent 99% of America?
Here's the interesting thing: the protesters/occupiers don't claim to represent 99% of anyone's views on anything. They claim to represent the folks who aren't in the 1% of people who hold most of the wealth of this country.

So, liberal or conservative, left or right, democrat or republican, whatever...if you're not stupid rich, you're one of the 99%.
  Old  October 17th, 2011, 2:43pm     #317
yrguide
Senior Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hppy28 View Post
I'm sorry you did not percieve from the tone of my discussion that nothing I posted is a smear. I answered the poll honestly.

Actual facts are not what you offer in your comments. I'm not from NY City, but surely they draw reinforcements for major events from wherever the resources are available. I don't feel the need to call them to verify this.

Fairness is based on respect. In the interest of intelligent, civil discourse I choose not to call you anything.
I am from NYC (I live in Brooklyn as a matter of fact) and considering the 81st is the most under-resourced precinct in Brooklyn I seriously doubt that is where they'd call in additional officers from, especially considering there are plenty of Manhattan and other Brooklyn precincts that are much closer and have more officers to draw from. Unless it's a major emergency (like 9/11) it's ridiculously unlikely that vehicle and those officers would have been resourced from Brooklyn. However, I'm happy to call the precinct and ask.

Couple that with the photo of the truck in the background that has a 718 prefixed number (brooklyn again) it becomes more and more ridiculous that the location is Wall Street rather than Brooklyn.

So actual facts are what I offer in my comments, the squad car is from the Bed Stuy Precinct in Brooklyn featuring a delivery truck with a brooklyn phone prefix in the background.

Google a map of the 81st and you'll see just how ridiculous it is to assert that's where back ups were brought in from.

The infinite monkey theorem states that a monkey hitting keys at random on a typewriter keyboard for an infinite amount of time will almost surely type a given text, such as the complete works of William Shakespeare. Not to be confused with Hundredth monkey effect.
  Old  October 17th, 2011, 2:43pm     #318
Aisling
Grand Master Sweeper

Thinking people supporting OWS.
Quote:
Top Ten Unlikely Occupy Wall Street Supporters

10) Henry Blodget: Disgraced Wall Street analyst turned online media mogul empathizes with the mob. Provides handy charts to back up case.

9) Suze Orman: Schoolmarmish personal-finance maven says banks deserve to be criticized. Grades OWS as “approved.”

8) Deepak Chopra: New Age guru leads protesters in a group meditation. Tells them to go to place of “compassion, centered equanimity, and creativity.”

7) Larry Fink: Head of world’s biggest asset-management firm says demonstrators “are not lazy people sitting around looking for something to do.” (Not to be confused with the photographer Larry Fink, who also supports the protests.)

6) Bill Gross: Manager of world’s biggest bond fund says it’s no surprise the 99% is fighting back “after 30 years of being shot at.”

5) Charles Moore: Tory sage and official biographer of Mrs. Thatcher says he is starting to think the left “might actually be right.”

4) Alec Baldwin: Actor and Capital One front man tweets support and advice to protesters. (Not clear if he’s donated the fees from his ads to OWS, though.)

3) Jeffrey Sachs: Columbia economist and former godfather of free-market shock therapy visits Zuccotti Square and tells protesters they are on right track.

2) Vikram Pandit: Citigroup chairman says “trust has been broken” between Wall Street and Main Street. Offers to meet with demonstrators.

1) Ben Bernanke: Republican-appointed Fed chairman says he “can’t blame” protesters for taking to the streets.
http://www.newyorker.com/online/blog...upporters.html

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Data from Henry Blodget. (There are charts for each key point.)
Quote:
1. Unemployment is at the highest level since the Great Depression (with the exception of a brief blip in the early 1980s).

2. At the same time, corporate profits are at an all-time high, both in absolute dollars and as a share of the economy.

3. Wages as a percent of the economy are at an all-time low. In other words, corporate profits are at an all-time high, in part, because corporations are paying less of their revenue to employees than they ever have. There are lots of reasons for this, many of which are not the fault of the corporations. (It's a global economy now, and 2-3 billion new low-cost employees in China, India, et al, have recently entered the global workforce. This is putting pressure on wages the world over.)

4. Income and wealth inequality in the US economy is near an all-time high: The owners of the country's assets (capital) are winning, everyone else (labor) is losing.
Quote:
It's worth noting that the US has been in a similar situation before: At the end of the "Roaring '20s," just before the start of the Great Depression. (See some of the charts above).

It took the country 15-20 years to pull out of that slump and fix the imbalances. But by the mid-1950s, employment, corporate profits, wages, and inequality had all returned to more normal levels. And the country enjoyed a couple of decades of relatively well-balanced prosperity. But now, everything's out of whack again.

Importantly, the inequality that has developed in the economy over the past couple of decades is not just a moral issue. It's a practical one. It is, as sociologists might say, "de-stabilizing." It leads directly to the sort of social unrest that we're seeing right now.
http://www.businessinsider.com/here-...-about-2011-10

'Lord, when did we see You hungry, or thirsty, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not take care of You?' "Then He will answer them, 'Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.' Matthew 25:44-45
  Old  October 17th, 2011, 2:49pm     #319
annulla
Grand Master Sweeper

Oh, well. Ignore me.

Guess it serves me right for stepping into this forum. :(

Please read my blog -- Blather From Brooklyn
  Old  October 17th, 2011, 2:51pm     #320
ppammela
Gone Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by annulla View Post
Oh, well. Ignore me.

???? I saw your post where you asked about the picture, but when I went back to post the link it was gone?

Never mind, I swore I saw it posted after me.... but its one page back

hang on a second and will post the link

http://forums.online-sweepstakes.com...3&postcount=14
  Old  October 17th, 2011, 2:52pm     #321
yrguide
Senior Master Sweeper

Quote:
Oh, well. Ignore me.

Sorry, just had to pull it back up...it's not the kind of thing I keep bookmarked.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6093/...65ce218c51.jpg

The infinite monkey theorem states that a monkey hitting keys at random on a typewriter keyboard for an infinite amount of time will almost surely type a given text, such as the complete works of William Shakespeare. Not to be confused with Hundredth monkey effect.
  Old  October 17th, 2011, 2:54pm     #322
ahedden
Senior Master Sweeper

Quote:
I admit that I haven't read every post in this thread, but I'm lost here.

What photo?

Anyone care to post a link, please?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...OLICE-CAR.html

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin
  Old  October 17th, 2011, 4:31pm     #323
hppy28
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppammela View Post
Nor is it in yours. since you are unable to verify whether the incident really happened as you claimed

As well the photo you posted.
You mean this photo? That's the only one I posted. You're right, I am unable to verify the dog actually wrote the message.

Quote:
There is no proof it had anything to do with the protests or not.
The picture in the Daily Mail http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...OLICE-CAR.html was part of an article on the protest. There's seldom proof offered for pictures that illustrate articles, but it certainly inspired the picture I posted.

lumpenprole-free zone
  Old  October 17th, 2011, 5:13pm     #324
hppy28
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrguide View Post
I am from NYC (I live in Brooklyn as a matter of fact) and considering the 81st is the most under-resourced precinct in Brooklyn I seriously doubt that is where they'd call in additional officers from, especially considering there are plenty of Manhattan and other Brooklyn precincts that are much closer and have more officers to draw from. Unless it's a major emergency (like 9/11) it's ridiculously unlikely that vehicle and those officers would have been resourced from Brooklyn. However, I'm happy to call the precinct and ask.

Couple that with the photo of the truck in the background that has a 718 prefixed number (brooklyn again) it becomes more and more ridiculous that the location is Wall Street rather than Brooklyn.

So actual facts are what I offer in my comments, the squad car is from the Bed Stuy Precinct in Brooklyn featuring a delivery truck with a brooklyn phone prefix in the background.

Google a map of the 81st and you'll see just how ridiculous it is to assert that's where back ups were brought in from.
I'll save you time calling the precinct. If they wear their precinct number on their collar, here's a video from ABC news at 1:03 minutes which clearly shows an officer with an 81 shining on his left collar.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headline...-macing-women/

Obviously, most of us are not in the wealthy 1% bracket, but just like no one group of people represents the ideals of the human race, the protesters do not represent 99% of the American population. In fact, Conservatives contend they do not represent the ideals of even half of the US population.

The American eagle needs both wings working together to fly.

lumpenprole-free zone
  Old  October 17th, 2011, 6:03pm     #325
annulla
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppammela View Post
???? I saw your post where you asked about the picture, but when I went back to post the link it was gone?

Never mind, I swore I saw it posted after me.... but its one page back

hang on a second and will post the link

http://forums.online-sweepstakes.com...3&postcount=14

Thanks. Sorry, I was feeling a bit grumpy when I posted earlier.

Well, I looked at the photo and noticed the copyright (Stefan Jeremiah) on it, so I did a little digging. Here's what I found.

(By the way -- just as an FYI -- it is a routine matter for NYPD officers to be assigned outside of their own precincts during emergency situations and large scale events, including those with -- and without -- official permits.)

Quote:
I took a photograph this Friday gone at the Occupy Wall Street protest in downtown Manhattan that seems to have caused quite a stir. A number of questions and conspiracy theories have developed and I thought it might be useful if a put a few words out there, that are free from any slanted editorial or political bias. Twitter is great but still limited as a means of expression and communication.

My day started with a call from my editor asking me to go down to the protest site at Zuccotti Park to see what if any developments there might be. The momentum of the protest has been certainly building and interest from the mainstream media in both the UK and US is peaking.

There have been suggestions primarily by the land owners that due to the sites growth in population that there might be sanitation issues, and while I was there could I take note of anything relevant to these claims. I spent a few hours walking round, reading signs, taking snaps and chit chatting with various people. The organisation of the protest site is without doubt impressive. The area within the park has been divided up into zones with an excellent food service area, a medical area and a Press table.

As I made my way around I took pictures of everything that I saw. On the south side there was a rag tag band banging out a drum beat, and a woman was entertaining passers-by and children with hula hoops. All very positive and fun on what was a bright and warm Friday afternoon. Sadly there was also a growing pile of rubbish bags and a used mattress that if you stood within 3 metres wasn't the most pleasant smelling. I witnessed and photographed protesters sweeping up, bagging up litter and adding to the pile. There was an element of responsibility being undertaken by some members of the protest, that can't be denied. But it was apparent that a growing movement, means a growing waste problem.

Around 4ish I decided to head to the office of the Mail Online and file my pictures. As I left the north side of the park I heard a man running to catch up with two police officers, who where walking in the opposite direction to me, yelling: “Officer, you've got do something, there's a guy taking a shit on a patrol car”. In less that 10 strides from the park facing the McDonalds was indeed what appeared to be a middle aged man emptying himself with no great haste, up against the back end of an NYPD police car.

The two Police Officers who had been dutifully informed by a member of the public simply shrugged their shoulders and walked away. I ducked into a phone box and snatched a few shots of the scene playing out before me. The defecating man, oblivious to my presence, then wiped himself accordingly and strolled into the Mcdonalds as if nothing was the matter. I was expecting a Police response any second, but it never came.

I'll start by saying this wasn't a set up. I didn't hire some random guy to pebble dash a patrol car. This isn't a cut and paste photoshop job. This isn't staged in any way. And this isn't a right wing/Tea Party conspiracy. Seriously! The bare fact is a grown man of his own accord, really did empty his bowels on a Police car in broad day light on the peripheral of a political protest. And by sad coincidence I was there to capture it. (The time of the incident was approximately 4.30pm)

So, what is there to suggest that this was an Occupy Wall Street protester and not just a random homeless guy?

Given the unwashed aesthetics of the protesters sleeping rough in a park for 3 weeks, visually I don't think there is much to distinguish them apart. All the people sleeping in the park kind of look scruffy and homeless to me. That's what sleeping rough does to a person.

I can say I'd definitely seen him in the park already that day. And I saw him again, asleep in the park later that evening. Furthermore, were he homeless and in need of a toilet, he could have simply used the toilet facilities of McDonalds that were right in front of him, like the majority of those camped in the park. Also, of all the cars parked along that curbside, he chose a cop car to prop himself up against. I feel like that is statement enough of his intent.

I'm not stupid enough to think he represents the majority of the Occupy Wall Street protesters, and it will be sad to see should this image be hijacked as the poster boy for all those opposed or unsympathetic to the Occupy movement.

I do strive to be an objective photographer, it is my job to take pictures of everything. The good and the bad. I gave my editor a well rounded edit of images that represented everything I saw that afternoon, which in this instance included a man jettisoning faecal matter upside a cop car.

UPDATE:
Further to my explanation I've still received criticism regarding my assumption over whether the man was or wasn't a protester involved in the Occupy Wall Street. It has been suggested I should have asked him questions.

I do appreciate the point that journalism should be based on facts not assumptions. Perhaps I should have chased after him and asked if this was a right or left wing dirty protest, but unfortunately I was stood downwind from his grand spectacular and was fighting my own gag reflex.

However, having personally witnessed him in the park, walking, standing, sleeping, mingling over a number of hours in and amongst other protesters at the specific location of a protest rally. I felt the assumption and conclusion that he too was engaged in protest was fair. It is my interpretation that his defiling a cop car is an act of protest unto itself. I am therefore free to conclude he was a protester.

Homeless or not.

I understand that the majority of legitimate protesters will want to distance themselves as far away as possible from this guy and that this image will in some way damage their cause. But as I've already said: I'm not stupid enough to think he represents the majority of the Occupy Wall Street protesters.

Jeremiah
Posted by Jeremiah at 10:40
http://bearwitnesspictures.blogspot....cating_11.html

Old  October 17th, 2011, 6:11pm     #326
annulla
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hppy28 View Post
You mean this photo? That's the only one I posted. You're right, I am unable to verify the dog actually wrote the message.

I dunno. That dog has an awfully guilty look.

Old  October 17th, 2011, 6:14pm     #327
ahedden
Senior Master Sweeper

It is funny you liberals support the occupy wall streeters who are against bank bailouts that Obama did . So they are most likely against Obama.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin
  Old  October 17th, 2011, 6:17pm     #328
hppy28
Master Sweeper

Quote:
I dunno. That dog has an awfully guilty look.
lol, he sure does. But he's too cute to criticize.

Annulla, I just want to thank you for ferreting out the story behind the picture. I certainly don't believe the majority of 99ers would support expressing themselves in such disgusting fashion.

lumpenprole-free zone
  Old  October 17th, 2011, 6:21pm     #329
secular
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahedden View Post
It is funny you liberals support the occupy wall streeters who are against bank bailouts that Obama did . So they are most likely against Obama.
Quote:
Nearly half of Americans incorrectly think President Obama started the the bank bailout program, otherwise known as the Troubled Asset Relief Program (TARP), a new poll shows.
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_1...52-503544.html

D'oh.
  Old  October 17th, 2011, 6:25pm     #330
ahedden
Senior Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by secular View Post
Did he have to follow through with it ?

"While Mr. Obama did not enact TARP, his administration has largely been responsible for administering it."

- Benjamin Franklin