View Poll Results: Do the 99ers/ Occupy Wall Streeters represent you?
Yes 65 52.42%
No 59 47.58%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Old  October 9th, 2011, 5:25pm     #1
Godzilla in Pa
Master Sweeper

Do the 99ers/ Occupy Wall Streeters represent you?
Do they really represent 99% of America?
  Old  October 9th, 2011, 6:02pm     #2
Porkchop
Senior Master Sweeper

They represent those who feel entitled to a job and other peoples money, so no, they don't represent me

But the liberals here may be a different story :-)

A liberal is man who will give away everything he doesn't own.
Frank Dane
  Old  October 9th, 2011, 6:23pm     #3
sascha_b
Grand Master Sweeper

Absolutely. Corporate money has wrested control of our elected officials, and if at least 99% of our society can’t see that, then we’re totally screwed.

As for AsChop's premise, I believe he misunderstands the movement, or watches too much FauxNews. Although students and those without jobs became some of the first and most active participants, its position isn't that narrow. If you believe this is simply about unemployment, you are sadly mistaken.

People are working 20% more for 20% less pay while CEO salaries are being paid up to 400% more. As taxpayers we are paying for the gambling losses of Wall Street, while they are using that money as political "voice" that goes against our interests. Citizens United was the final straw for many. If you believe that corporations are people, then be proud to consider yourself a minority.
Quote:
"'We are the 99 percent' is a clear message. It is unfair and in fact disgusting that the American political economy is run for the benefit of a plutocracy. I don't see how that can be misunderstood." ~ Todd Gitlin

"Beliefs do not affect facts. But facts should affect beliefs, if you are rational." ~ Ricky Gervais
  Old  October 9th, 2011, 10:09pm     #4
ppammela
Gone Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by sascha_b View Post
Absolutely. Corporate money has wrested control of our elected officials, and if at least 99% of our society can’t see that, then we’re totally screwed.

As for AsChop's premise, I believe he misunderstands the movement, or watches too much FauxNews. Although students and those without jobs became some of the first and most active participants, its position isn't that narrow. If you believe this is simply about unemployment, you are sadly mistaken.

People are working 20% more for 20% less pay while CEO salaries are being paid up to 400% more. As taxpayers we are paying for the gambling losses of Wall Street, while they are using that money as political "voice" that goes against our interests. Citizens United was the final straw for many. If you believe that corporations are people, then be proud to consider yourself a minority.
It is extremely clear from aschops/aheddens comments neither have the slightest clue what the protests are about.
  Old  October 9th, 2011, 6:28pm     #5
KISSaholic4life
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
They represent those who feel entitled to a job and other peoples money, so no, they don't represent me

Your ignorance and/or stupidity shines thru once again!

~ Space For Rent ~
I can be found at Facebook - look for KISSaholic4life

Old  October 9th, 2011, 7:11pm     #6
Aisling
Grand Master Sweeper

They are representing the 99% of the nation who doesn't control the majority of the wealth. We're aware that many of the 99% don't share their goals, but they're still representing us all. (I seriously doubt anyone hanging out at OLS is part of the 1% and am absolutely certain Porkchop is not.)

Quote:
In 2007, the share of after-tax income going to the top 1 percent hit its highest level (17.1 percent) since 1979, while the share going to the middle one-fifth of Americans shrank to its lowest level during this period (14.1 percent).

Between 1979 and 2007, average after-tax incomes for the top 1 percent rose by 281 percent after adjusting for inflation — an increase in income of $973,100 per household — compared to increases of 25 percent ($11,200 per household) for the middle fifth of households and 16 percent ($2,400 per household) for the bottom fifth.

If all groups’ after-tax incomes had grown at the same percentage rate over the 1979-2007 period, middle-income households would have received an additional $13,042 in 2007 and families in the bottom fifth would have received an additional $6,010.

In 2007, the average household in the top 1 percent had an income of $1.3 million, up $88,800 just from the prior year; this $88,800 gain is well above the total 2007 income of the average middle-income household ($55,300).
http://currydemocrats.org/in_perspec...rican_pie.html

'Lord, when did we see You hungry, or thirsty, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not take care of You?' "Then He will answer them, 'Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.' Matthew 25:44-45
  Old  October 9th, 2011, 11:20pm     #7
retrobruce
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aisling View Post
They are representing the 99% of the nation who doesn't control the majority of the wealth.
It's sad that your post shows a graph about wealth, while everything else you posted was about income.

If you don't understand that they are very different things, why do you bother posting?

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character. ~ Martin Luther King, Jr
  Old  October 9th, 2011, 11:52pm     #8
AnnaMolly
Senior Master Sweeper

Yes.

Destroy demonocracy.
  Old  October 10th, 2011, 1:23am     #9
godan
Senior Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrobruce View Post
It's sad that your post shows a graph about wealth, while everything else you posted was about income.

If you don't understand that they are very different things, why do you bother posting?

So here this is (again) Bruce, 88% of the income from the recovery went to the corporations, only 1% went to workers. That's why that wealth chart is so skewed towards the top, the top got most of the income yet they get away with paying less taxes than the working man because of all the loopholes.

http://www.alternet.org/newsandviews..._1_to_workers/
  Old  October 10th, 2011, 2:12am     #10
LastLaugh
Gone Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrobruce View Post

Their is usually a correlation even if it's not a direct one. So it's about time you stopped trotting out that lame rhetoric.
  Old  October 9th, 2011, 7:14pm     #11
aila
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post

for your information, not only are there democrats protesting, but let it be known that there are republicans and tea partiers protesting as well. if you watch the news and watch the interviews you should know this.

is narrowmindness an excuse for ignorance?
  Old  October 9th, 2011, 10:12pm     #12
ppammela
Gone Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by aila View Post
for your information, not only are there democrats protesting, but let it be known that there are republicans and tea partiers protesting as well. if you watch the news and watch the interviews you should know this.

is narrowmindness an excuse for ignorance?
Right there is the problem. They listen or watch long enough to pick up on some talking point (which is usually wrong) and then they make sweeping generalizations based on that. You will never see people like asschop/ahedden actually watch a news segment or an interview which explains what is really going on, that would mean they are possibly wrong. Denial and ignorance are much better.
  Old  October 16th, 2011, 4:18am     #13
AKR
Master Sweeper

Which ones? Some do, some don't. They're not really a monolithic group. It seems like a movement that's about protesting just about anything and everything. It's mostly about major corporations, but it's varied. I'm all for taxing corporations more, regulating them more, and letting them influence Washington less through lobbying and campaign financing. I'm NOT for the sense of entitlement some of them have, who think they have a right to healthcare, free college, etc.

My electronic rock, electronic hip hop, indie dance project:
http://buildingcastles.us
  Old  October 16th, 2011, 2:38pm     #14
JoniHaynes
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKR View Post
Which ones? Some do, some don't. They're not really a monolithic group. It seems like a movement that's about protesting just about anything and everything. It's mostly about major corporations, but it's varied. I'm all for taxing corporations more, regulating them more, and letting them influence Washington less through lobbying and campaign financing. I'm NOT for the sense of entitlement some of them have, who think they have a right to healthcare, free college, etc.
I so agree!

Joni
  Old  October 16th, 2011, 4:37pm     #15
LindaK
Grand Master Sweeper

does this represent you:
Quote:
... The goal ... is very, very clear. It can be articulated in one word—REBELLION. These protesters have not come to work within the system. They are not pleading with Congress for electoral reform. They know electoral politics is a farce and have found another way to be heard and exercise power. They have no faith, nor should they, in the political system or the two major political parties. They know the press will not amplify their voices, and so they created a press of their own. They know the economy serves the oligarchs, so they formed their own communal system. This movement is an effort to take our country back.

This is a goal the power elite cannot comprehend. They cannot envision a day when they will not be in charge of our lives. The elites believe, and seek to make us believe, that globalization and unfettered capitalism are natural law, some kind of permanent and eternal dynamic that can never be altered. What the elites fail to realize is that rebellion will not stop until the corporate state is extinguished. It will not stop until there is an end to the corporate abuse of the poor, the working class, the elderly, the sick, children, those being slaughtered in our imperial wars and tortured in our black sites. It will not stop until foreclosures and bank repossessions stop. It will not stop until students no longer have to go into debt to be educated, and families no longer have to plunge into bankruptcy to pay medical bills. It will not stop until the corporate destruction of the ecosystem stops, and our relationships with each other and the planet are radically reconfigured. And that is why the elites, and the rotted and degenerate system of corporate power they sustain, are in trouble. That is why they keep asking what the demands are. They don’t understand what is happening. They are deaf, dumb and blind. ...

http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/...uble_20111009/