Old  September 22nd, 2018, 12:02pm     #61
QBookie
Master Sweeper

Think outside the box
Unfortunately, I don't know how to solve your immediate financial crisis. I do have some ideas on finding a new job.
#1 Do you have a cover letter for your resume? If you do, you want it to say only positive things, such as,
" I was fortunate to have jobs that I enjoyed and lasted for a number of years." " I am interested in assimilating my skills with your company's needs."
#2Identify your skills in words that do and don't necessarily apply only to machinists, such as mathematical ability, skills to calibrate and meet specifications, etc.
#3 Your skills may fit more than Tool & Die. You could be calibrating medical devices and so on.
#4 Don't mention the union to prospective employers unless you absolutely have to.

I hope some of the experienced HR folks that are members will give advice as well.
Also, can you enroll in a community college or local tech course? That would show that you are busy learning and could be a way to make contacts.

Honey, Ain't Nothin' Ever Gonna Be Like It Was Before.
  Old  September 22nd, 2018, 2:15pm     #62
bomar97
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by QBookie View Post
Unfortunately, I don't know how to solve your immediate financial crisis. I do have some ideas on finding a new job.
#1 Do you have a cover letter for your resume? If you do, you want it to say only positive things, such as,
" I was fortunate to have jobs that I enjoyed and lasted for a number of years." " I am interested in assimilating my skills with your company's needs."
#2Identify your skills in words that do and don't necessarily apply only to machinists, such as mathematical ability, skills to calibrate and meet specifications, etc.
#3 Your skills may fit more than Tool & Die. You could be calibrating medical devices and so on.
#4 Don't mention the union to prospective employers unless you absolutely have to.

I hope some of the experienced HR folks that are members will give advice as well.
Also, can you enroll in a community college or local tech course? That would show that you are busy learning and could be a way to make contacts.
I think this is the #1 issue.. need to get a job to get the cash flow. Working on the other issues can be in the background.

Age can be a factor in getting a new job, but I know people much older who are doing it. Don't get hung up on the exact same job.. look for similar ones.. and those that you think you have experience and knowledge that would adapt to them.

Earn cash back while shopping with ebates - my referral https://www.ebates.com/r/BOMER92
  Old  September 24th, 2018, 5:21am     #63
Globug_47
Grand Master Sweeper

It isn't often that I wonder on to OLS much these days, so this must have been meant to be this morning. Grab your coffee since this post will probably be lengthy.

First, let me say that I am so sorry that you have gone through what you have and the current state that you find yourself in today. My heart and prayers go out to you.

Back around the year 2000, I endured horrendous sexual harassment at my place of employment. I had complained to my superiors, only to be ignored. My harasser was an immediate supervisor who I just could not avoid working with. It was terrible. But I kept right on complaining because that's who I am. After a couple months of that, they found a reason to terminate me on false pretenses. I was beyond angry! I immediately filed a complaint with the EEOC. It took a while to hear back from the EEOC but when I did, I was contacted by an EEOC caseworker. Now because nothing moves quickly with our Federal government, it took months in between contact with my EEOC caseworker during the initial process but they did stay in touch. My former company came back with an initial offer of a pitiful $5,000 for my troubles. They angered me immensely since I lived in a small town and knew that it would be hard for me to find anyone who would hire me once word got out about my filing a sexual harassment claim against a former employer. I would basically be unemployable. So I at least was holding out for them compensating me a year's salary so things at least might die down.

During this process, my EEOC caseworker suggested that I retain the services of a labor attorney to help me. And I did just that. I guess I got lucky because the very first attorney that I went to either took pity on me or just was one super guy because he took my case immediately with no retainer at all and would only collect if there was a settlement in my case. Like I said, I got very lucky but there are attorneys out there that will do this if you have a solid and documented case. I put my case in the hands of my attorney and let him handle it for me. We would meet periodically to discussed my case and I meanwhile moved from that small town ( and my grown children and small grandchildren ) since it was obvious that I could not find work there.

It took the EEOC 18 months to come back with a determination in my favor. During that time it was pure hell. I still hadn't been able to gain employment and had found out that the major corporation that I had worked for had basically 'blackballed' me and was giving me bad work references. Another no-no according to the EEOC. I worried about finances all the time and felt guilty as I watched as my wonderful husband carried our entire financial burden on just his own shoulders. I cried, I had fits of righteous indignation and bouts of righteous anger at what I was being put through even though I had done nothing wrong but to report the sexual harassment. I sat through my own deposition and fought to preserve my own reputation and dignity as a couple of high priced attorneys from large law firm out of New Orleans did everything possible to shred it and leave it in tatters. I sat through depositions of my friends, co-workers and former supervisors too since I did have the legal right to attend those.

In the end, it took almost 3 years for my case to finally be settled. When the EEOC determination came back, I drove to my attorney's office so he could go over it with me. They determined that the supervisor who had sexually harassed me was a 'sexual predator' who the company gave cover to and protected despite knowing that he was one. I remember just sitting in my attorney's office crying like a baby when we read that. That helped bolster my case. But in the end, because I was just one person, the EEOC declined to take my case to trial and suggested that I proceed with the attorney that I retained in the beginning. And I did just that. Days before I was due to go to trial in Federal court, the corporation and I agreed to settle the case in a Federal Magistrate's chambers to keep from prolonging the case any further since it was painfully obvious that they would appeal any verdict that went against them. I agreed to a six-figure settlement with a glowing letter of recommendation from the corporation. I was finally done after three years.

Don't let anyone tell you not to turn to the EEOC. You did the right thing! And keep looking for an attorney who will take your case. If they won't, ask them for recommendations for one that will. But I will warn you that while I will ALWAYS tell any woman that if she is being sexually harassed that she should report it, it absolutely isn't to score a quick buck or for the faint of heart. You go through hell but I am proof that you can come out the other side in tact. I stuck with it despite the hell that it put my husband & I under and for what happened to me but also for all the other woman that worked in this corporation that felt the need to protect and give cover to men that prey on young women. That's what drove me for three long years.

I do want to say this to all of the women AND men who might have taken the time to read this to this point. Twenty-seven years ago, a woman came forward to report being sexually harassed. Her name was Anita Hill. She stood in front of a panel of Senators and a nation and gave her accounting of her claims of sexual harassment. She was mocked, dismissed and treated very disrespectful by our own government as she recounted those very difficult and personal memories. And it is sad that in 27 years, we have still learned nothing. Women who suffer at the hands of a sexual harasser or even a rapist have a tendency NOT to come forward in a lot of cases and most rapes go unreported. Women often feel shame, humiliation and even guilt ( that she must have provoked the behavior of the man ) so they just don't report it to anyone. And some women just totally ignore what happened to them, attempting to block it from their minds and lives, pretending that it never happened. But it did and it will always be there with us. Waiting. Until something triggers it to come back up to the surface. Hasn't this #metoo movement taught any of us anything? After decades of women entering the workforce, being chased around our bosses offices and being treated like their sexual property merely because we demand the right to employment, have we not learned to yell from the rooftops when men ( or women ) superiors overstep their boundaries of professionalism? Until we come forward with reporting acts of sexual harassment, assaults and rapes, nothing is going to change for us. We have to be a bit more courageous and brave. No one has the right to take that away from us. No one.

And on that note, I wish you the very best of lucky to you GummyBear.

Side note: After not being on here much these days, it's sad to see that some things also never change on here. I have often found that college degrees and intelligence do not very often go hand in hand with each other. And it saddens me that someone's need to feel superior was trotted out in a woman's post about being sexually harassed, in dire financial straits and being evicted from her home, etc.. You just proved my point about degrees and intelligence not going hand in hand. If you wanted to have a pissing contest about intelligence and academic degrees, a new and more appropriate thread could have been started. If I were the offender, I would apologize to OP for my insensitivity to her hardships that she is experiencing and trying her very best to handle. But that's just me.

Now carry on........

Old  September 24th, 2018, 10:17am     #64
TawnyNY
Senior Master Sweeper

It's the christmas season coming up, it may not be ideal, but can you get a job at a retail store that is hiring to tide you over? I know they actually appreciate older workers because younger workers aren't applying for the jobs like they use too when we were kids.

How about UPS or FEd Ex, they hire seasonal too.
  Old  September 24th, 2018, 11:37am     #65
jujyfruit0
Master Sweeper

First file a complaint w the EEOC. THEN contact an employee right attorney. Same happened to me. They paid dearly.
  Old  September 24th, 2018, 12:26pm     #66
chestnutfall
Grand Master Sweeper

First, gummybear2010 I am so sorry you are dealing with such a horrendous situation. I pray you received the justice you deserve...I think that there is a Federal program that will give you a free cell phone? Perhaps through department of Health and Human Services?
Gloria, I am sorry what you had that to deal with. I applaud you for writing your comment in support, care and help to gummybear2010. I've always known you to be intelligent, caring and a class act...thank you for what you have done in sharing your journey and educating us about sexual harassment and the EEOC.
I am sorry for what you two ladies have dealt with.
God Bless you both...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globug_47 View Post
It isn't often that I wonder on to OLS much these days, so this must have been meant to be this morning. Grab your coffee since this post will probably lengthy.

First, let me say that I am so sorry that you have gone through what you have and the current state that you find yourself in today. My heart and prayers go out to you.

Back around the year 2000, I endured horrendous sexual harassment at my place of employment. I had complained to my superiors, only to be ignored. My harasser was an immediate supervisor who I just could not avoid working with. It was terrible. But I kept right on complaining because that's who I am. After a couple months of that, they found a reason to terminate me on false pretenses. I was beyond angry! I immediately filed a complaint with the EEOC. It took a while to hear back from the EEOC but when I did, I was contacted by an EEOC caseworker. Now because nothing moves quickly with our Federal government, it took months in between contact with my EEOC caseworker during the initial process but they did stay in touch. My former company came back with an initial offer of a pitiful $5,000 for my troubles. They angered me immensely since I lived in a small town and knew that it would be hard for me to find anyone who would hire me once word got out about my filing a sexual harassment claim against a former employer. I would basically be unemployable. So I at least was holding out for them compensating me a year's salary so things at least might die down.

During this process, my EEOC caseworker suggested that I retain the services of a labor attorney to help me. And I did just that. I guess I got lucky because the very first attorney that I went to either took pity on me or just was one super guy because he took my case immediately with no retainer at all and would only collect if there was a settlement in my case. Like I said, I got very lucky but there are attorneys out there that will do this if you have a solid and documented case. I put my case in the hands of my attorney and let him handle it for me. We would meet periodically to discussed my case and I meanwhile moved from that small town ( and my grown children and small grandchildren ) since it was obvious that I could not find work there.

It took the EEOC 18 months to come back with a determination in my favor. During that time it was pure hell. I still hadn't been able to gain employment and had found out that the major corporation that I had worked for had basically 'blackballed' me and was giving me bad work references. Another no-no according to the EEOC. I worried about finances all the time and felt guilty as I watched as my wonderful husband carried our entire financial burden on just his own shoulders. I cried, I had fits of righteous indignation and bouts of righteous anger at what I was being put through even though I had done nothing wrong but to report the sexual harassment. I sat through my own deposition and fought to preserve my own reputation and dignity as a couple of high priced attorneys from large law firm out of New Orleans did everything possible to shred it and leave it in tatters. I sat through depositions of my friends, co-workers and former supervisors too since I did have the legal right to attend those.

In the end, it took almost 3 years for my case to finally be settled. When the EEOC determination came back, I drove to my attorney's office so he could go over it with me. They determined that the supervisor who had sexually harassed me was a 'sexual predator' who the company gave cover to and protected despite knowing that he was one. I remember just sitting in my attorney's office crying like a baby when we read that. That helped bolster my case. But in the end, because I was just one person, the EEOC declined to take my case to trial and suggested that I proceed with the attorney that I retained in the beginning. And I did just that. Days before I was due to go to trial in Federal court, the corporation and I agreed to settle the case in a Federal Magistrate's chambers to keep from prolonging the case any further since it was painfully obvious that they would appeal any verdict that went against them. I agreed to a six-figure settlement with a glowing letter of recommendation from the corporation. I was finally done after three years.

Don't let anyone tell you not to turn to the EEOC. You did the right thing! And keep looking for an attorney who will take your case. If they won't, ask them for recommendations for one that will. But I will warn you that while I will ALWAYS tell any woman that if she is being sexually harassed that she should report it, it absolutely isn't to score a quick buck or for the faint of heart. You go through hell but I am proof that you can come out the other side in tact. I stuck with it despite the hell that it put my husband & I under and for what happened to me but also for all the other woman that worked in this corporation that felt the need to protect and give cover to men that prey on young women. That's what drove me for three long years.

I do want to say this to all of the women AND men who might have taken the time to read this to this point. Twenty-seven years ago, a woman came forward to report being sexually harassed. Her name was Anita Hill. She stood in front of a panel of Senators and a nation and gave her accounting of her claims of sexual harassment. She was mocked, dismissed and treated very disrespectful by our own government as she recounted those very difficult and personal memories. And it is sad that in 27 years, we have still learned nothing. Women who suffer at the hands of a sexual harasser or even a rapist have a tendency NOT to come forward in a lot of cases and most rapes go unreported. Women often feel shame, humiliation and even guilt ( that she must have provoked the behavior of the man ) so they just don't report it to anyone. And some women just totally ignore what happened to them, attempting to block it from their minds and lives, pretending that it never happened. But it did and it will always be there with us. Waiting. Until something triggers it to come back up to the surface. Hasn't this #metoo movement taught any of us anything? After decades of women entering the workforce, being chased around our bosses offices and being treated like their sexual property merely because we demand the right to employment, have we not learned to yell from the rooftops when men ( or women ) superiors overstep their boundaries of professionalism? Until we come forward with reporting acts of sexual harassment, assaults and rapes, nothing is going to change for us. We have to be a bit more courageous and brave. No one has the right to take that away from us. No one.

And on that note, I wish you the very best of lucky to you GummyBear.

Side note: After not being on here much these days, it's sad to see that some things also never change on here. I have often found that college degrees and intelligence do not very often go hand in hand with each other. And it saddens me that someone's need to feel superior was trotted out in a woman's post about being sexually harassed, in dire financial straits and being evicted from her home, etc.. You just proved my point about degrees and intelligence not going hand in hand. If you wanted to have a pissing contest about intelligence and academic degrees, a new and more appropriate thread could have been started. If I were the offender, I would apologize to OP for my insensitivity to her hardships that she is experiencing and trying her very best to handle. But that's just me.

Now carry on........
  Old  September 24th, 2018, 3:51pm     #67
lassss
Master Sweeper

Amazon is always hiring...so is Uber and Lyft. If someone really wants a job, they are available. Might not be $20+/hr, but its money coming in..

Quote:
Originally Posted by TawnyNY View Post
It's the christmas season coming up, it may not be ideal, but can you get a job at a retail store that is hiring to tide you over? I know they actually appreciate older workers because younger workers aren't applying for the jobs like they use too when we were kids.

How about UPS or FEd Ex, they hire seasonal too.

PR Proud, My Wins
  Old  September 24th, 2018, 9:04pm     #68
gummybear2010
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by chestnutfall View Post
First, gummybear2010 I am so sorry you are dealing with such a horrendous situation. I pray you received the justice you deserve...I think that there is a Federal program that will give you a free cell phone? Perhaps through department of Health and Human Services?
Gloria, I am sorry what you had that to deal with. I applaud you for writing your comment in support, care and help to gummybear2010. I've always known you to be intelligent, caring and a class act...thank you for what you have done in sharing your journey and educating us about sexual harassment and the EEOC.
God Bless you both...
I applied for the free phone and was approved today I had to ask for food stamps first time in my 54 years I have not been able to provide for myself.I have always relied on myself for sole support

I have registered with 5 temp services and non are calling at all.One said my resigning from an 11 year job and not using them as a reference is going to hurt me because more than likely they will say things to not get me hired.I was not fired I resigned for hostile work place and being threatened by one man

I reached out to churches to help with my rent

my car is leaking power steering fluid and I have to fill up the reserve every 20 miles full its $4 a bottle.Its $800 to replace at a mechanic and I have no one in my life who can fix it.so being a driver is not an ability I can do.I could cause or get into a serious accident.

I keep having bad things happen now that I have no income.I was able to get internet for another month thru a old friend but that was a real stretch

it amazes me how many things go wrong all at the same time
  Old  September 24th, 2018, 9:13pm     #69
gummybear2010
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by chestnutfall View Post
God Bless you both...

WOW thank you for sharing that story.I think your a survivor who endured alot.The EEOC dismissed mine right after I told them I resigned because the one man threatened me and they said I was lying .She said I need witnesses and the kind of shop they were and had created was all fighting and people sabotaging each other for higher piece rate wages.they would throw anyone under the bus for a bigger pay check.so many people quit and retired quickly and earlier just because of how ugly it had gotten in there .

lawyers have told me it takes witnesses and that company bullies anyone badly if they stand up for someone they dislike .so I reached out to other lawyers never hearing from any of them

My age I never thought about because I have always had a full time job but now no one calls even temp services have said they want younger workers

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR STORY.
  Old  September 25th, 2018, 9:21am     #70
chestnutfall
Grand Master Sweeper

Yes, Gloria (Globug) is an amazing lady!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gummybear2010 View Post
WOW thank you for sharing that story.I think your a survivor who endured alot.The EEOC dismissed mine right after I told them I resigned because the one man threatened me and they said I was lying .She said I need witnesses and the kind of shop they were and had created was all fighting and people sabotaging each other for higher piece rate wages.they would throw anyone under the bus for a bigger pay check.so many people quit and retired quickly and earlier just because of how ugly it had gotten in there .

lawyers have told me it takes witnesses and that company bullies anyone badly if they stand up for someone they dislike .so I reached out to other lawyers never hearing from any of them

My age I never thought about because I have always had a full time job but now no one calls even temp services have said they want younger workers

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR STORY.
  Old  September 25th, 2018, 9:31am     #71
chestnutfall
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gummybear2010 View Post
.The EEOC dismissed mine right after I told them I resigned because the one man threatened me and they said I was lying .
Is there a possibility of talking with different case worker at the EEOC? Have you considered talking with the Police or the District Attorney's Office since you were threatened? How about talking with your local state Representative. I wonder how you would find out if there are other complaints about those men who threatened you. They may have done this in the past, to others. google them and see if you can find any complaints about them when they are out in the general public...Find out the National contact person for your former union or at least their state leader...the Union should be helping you!
  Old  September 25th, 2018, 12:48pm     #72
luckylu
Master Sweeper

In my area the Dollar Stores and fast food restaurants hire anyone. Not the best pay, but some are better then you expect. It's my experience you need to find a job, any job, and work it for 6 months to a year. Use reference from that job to find a better one. You are starting over and have to prove yourself a stable worker to be considered for better jobs. The good news is everybody seems to be hiring right now so it's possible to find a job.
I'm sorry this happened to you.

~~~~~ ~~~~ ~ ~~~~ ~~~~ ~ ~~~~ ~~~~ ~ ~~~~ ~~~~ ~ ~~~~ ~~~~ ~ ~~~~ ~~~~ ~
UH...ha ya it's all just lucky breaks.
  Old  September 25th, 2018, 1:06pm     #73
luckylu
Master Sweeper

Could you use your 401K money to hire a lawyer? It's not an option I'd do if there was any other way, but if you have a good case...

~~~~~ ~~~~ ~ ~~~~ ~~~~ ~ ~~~~ ~~~~ ~ ~~~~ ~~~~ ~ ~~~~ ~~~~ ~ ~~~~ ~~~~ ~
UH...ha ya it's all just lucky breaks.
  Old  September 25th, 2018, 2:51pm     #74
Rokki
Grand Master Sweeper

We have the lowest unemployment rate in decades. There are a ton of jobs out there, some will not even check references, or only the ones you provide. Don't overthink the reference thing, because people will hire you.