Old  September 29th, 2010, 12:32pm     #1
kmg365
Senior Sweeper

National Sweepstakes Convention?
Wasn't quite sure where to post this-- there's no thread yet (that I could find) for the 2011 convention.

Could someone tell me what an attendee might expect for his/her registration fee? The 2011 conv. is being held practically in my back yard, so if I'm ever going to go, 2011 is the year.

However, $200 is a not inconsiderable sum of money, even if I'm not shelling out for lodging and meals.

If it's just a social thing, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be worth it for me, as I'm not a social butterfly, and I won't be marching up to strangers and introducing myself.

I understand there are drawings for prizes, but there's no guarantee I'm going to win anything.

I'm looking for reasons to attend that don't involve socializing, I guess.

Anyone want to take a stab at talking me into attending?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Linda
  Old  September 29th, 2010, 1:20pm     #2
fullhart
Master Sweeper

Practically in my back yard also. I'm considering going, but I wouldn't need lodging. I believe it's $50 if you aren't staying there.

Larry
  Old  September 29th, 2010, 1:28pm     #3
HEATHERM
Senior Sweeper

What does $200.00 include?
  Old  September 29th, 2010, 1:33pm     #4
kmg365
Senior Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullhart View Post
Practically in my back yard also. I'm considering going, but I wouldn't need lodging. I believe it's $50 if you aren't staying there.
The registration form saying something about $50 for banquet tickets for people accompanying paid convention members, but I think the full convention (minus hotel costs) is $200. Hence my hesitation.

So I see the vote for my attendance so far is a resounding "Stay home!".
  Old  September 29th, 2010, 1:35pm     #5
kmg365
Senior Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEATHERM View Post
What does $200.00 include?
Exactly my question. It gets you into the convention events, but what exactly am I getting for the price of admission?
  Old  September 29th, 2010, 1:36pm     #6
viclen1954
Master Sweeper

Early Registration is $200
Registration does not include lodging, airfare or most meals. So even though the convention may be in your backyard, the convention fee is $200 if registered prior to December 31, 2010, $250 thereafter. The convention fee covers convention costs which includes all prize drawings and at least one meal, usually a banquet type, and possibly continental breakfasts. An attendee can sign up a guest, usually, for the banquet meal for an extra fee, usually around $60. Every convention is different, but the convention fee does not ever include lodging, transportation and/or most meals.

If you are not a socializer, know the area and only want to attend to win prizes, then a convention may not be worth the cost to you. I have gone to 5 conventions mainly to see the area as a tourist. I have won a prize or two, but that isn't my main goal. I didn't go this year and will not go in 2011 as I have no real desire to visit the locations for the money spent to go, stay and attend, for me around $2,000. I have enjoyed the atmosphere of hundreds of sweepers though and if it is your first convention and at home, geez, $200 is CHEAP! So what you get is 3 days of speakers on sweepstakes topics that range from snailing to entering codes to ??? Every year is different. You have the opportunity to purchase sweeps supplies from sweepers and to network with sweepers from other areas. I would say you get out of a convention what you want and/or need.

Last edited by viclen1954; September 29th, 2010 at 1:39pm. Reason: add'l info

My Wins
  Old  September 29th, 2010, 2:10pm     #7
kmg365
Senior Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by viclen1954 View Post
I have enjoyed the atmosphere of hundreds of sweepers though and if it is your first convention and at home, geez, $200 is CHEAP! r
Well... I'm attending a two-day convention for people in my profession in November, and it's nowhere near $200. It is, however, useful for my job, so it's worth it. To drop $200 just to be surrounded by other people who like to sweep seems... weird. (Of course, there are many days that I'd pay $200 for the people who are surrounding me to go away....)

Also, I'm having trouble imagining what useful advice a speaker could have about sweeping. Stay positive? Keep entering? Follow the rules?

I do sincerely appreciate the response. It's really sounding like it's intended to be a big party, and that's not my scene.
  Old  September 29th, 2010, 2:18pm     #8
caseycupcake
Grand Master Sweeper

What do you get? A dinner, listen to some speakers, door prizes. Is $200 a lot of money? Probably. Is it fun and worth going at least once? Yep.
  Old  September 29th, 2010, 2:24pm     #9
ariyana9501
Senior Master Sweeper

The convention in 2011 IS in my backyard. Seriously.

I'm going because I've never been to one before, and I am excited to hear the speakers, as well as meet my fellow OLS members. I am social here, and am excited to get to actually meet people that enjoy the same things I do.

I'm excited for the prizes as well, but for me, it's mainly social, since quite a few of my "friends" from on here are going!

Time stands still.....
  Old  September 29th, 2010, 7:29pm     #10
tukibirdlover
Senior Sweeper

what kind of prizes do they have?
  Old  September 29th, 2010, 7:35pm     #11
Karen_246
Grand Master Sweeper
Senior Moderator/Editor
PITA

Quote:
Originally Posted by tukibirdlover View Post
Here is a thread of what some won.

http://forums.online-sweepstakes.com...d.php?t=930793

"Once we choose HOPE, EVERYTHING is POSSIBLE" ~ Christopher Reeve
Come check out my blog, please follow if you would like. Looking to get the word out about your company, etsy shop, etc, please give me a shout as I am actively seeking sponsors for reviews and giveaways.
  Old  September 29th, 2010, 7:43pm     #12
RockysJewel
Grand Master Sweeper

It helps cover costs. They have to rent the place it is held and other things people have mentioned.

It may not be for you as it isn't cheap and aren't into meeting people.

I haven't been able to go as I always worked when they are held but not this year!

I will be going this next year!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmg365 View Post
Well... I'm attending a two-day convention for people in my profession in November, and it's nowhere near $200. It is, however, useful for my job, so it's worth it. To drop $200 just to be surrounded by other people who like to sweep seems... weird. (Of course, there are many days that I'd pay $200 for the people who are surrounding me to go away....)

Also, I'm having trouble imagining what useful advice a speaker could have about sweeping. Stay positive? Keep entering? Follow the rules?

I do sincerely appreciate the response. It's really sounding like it's intended to be a big party, and that's not my scene.

I am not Rocky . I am ~JEWEL~
  Old  September 29th, 2010, 7:54pm     #13
KISSaholic4life
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tukibirdlover View Post

All sorts of prizes.

Cash, gift cards, laptops, tv's, stamps, envelopes, mp3 players, phones, totebags/backpacks, etc.

Registering for the covnention enters you into the giveaways they have. Each convention is a bit different on the prizes they giveaway and how they give them away. You can also enter the raffles that most of the vendors will have in the vendor room.

~ Space For Rent ~
I can be found at Facebook - look for KISSaholic4life

Old  September 29th, 2010, 8:15pm     #14
KISSaholic4life
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmg365 View Post
Wasn't quite sure where to post this-- there's no thread yet (that I could find) for the 2011 convention.

Could someone tell me what an attendee might expect for his/her registration fee? The 2011 conv. is being held practically in my back yard, so if I'm ever going to go, 2011 is the year.

However, $200 is a not inconsiderable sum of money, even if I'm not shelling out for lodging and meals.

If it's just a social thing, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be worth it for me, as I'm not a social butterfly, and I won't be marching up to strangers and introducing myself.

I understand there are drawings for prizes, but there's no guarantee I'm going to win anything.

I'm looking for reasons to attend that don't involve socializing, I guess.

Anyone want to take a stab at talking me into attending?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Linda

A big part of the convention is the socializing with fellow sweepers from around the country - and a few from Canada! From the meet and greets on Thursday evenings to the dinner/dinner buffets on Saturdays, to some of the offsite activities that some of the conventions have, to the way some of them have the tables set up, to the vendor rooms - it's set up to meet new friends and old.

Each convention has a series of speakers that may talk about all sorts of angles in the sweepstaking world - post office/prize shippers, judging agencies, online/snail mail sweeps, blogging/tweeting/skill sweeps, sweep websites/news letters, prize winners etc.

Prizes - see previous post about prizes.

~ Space For Rent ~
I can be found at Facebook - look for KISSaholic4life

Old  September 29th, 2010, 8:37pm     #15
kbsocial
Grand Master Sweeper
Administrator
Queen Peep

The majority of the costs are food related as that is not cheap at all. It's a great time, a fun investment and you usually pick up a tip or 2 from others who share your passion for sweeping