Old  January 23rd, 2013, 11:55am     #1
Porkchop
Senior Master Sweeper

Unions suffer steep decline in membership
http://news.yahoo.com/unions-suffer-...151525987.html

Quote:
WASHINGTON (AP) The nation's labor unions suffered sharp declines in membership last year, led by losses among public sector workers in cash-strapped states, cities, counties and towns.

The Bureau of Labor Statistics says the unionization rate fell from 11.8 percent to 11.3 percent of all workers, the lowest level since the 1930s.

Total union membership fell by about 400,000 workers to 14.4 million. Teachers unions were among the hardest hit, with the ranks of public school teachers and educators falling sharply.

Unions also saw losses in the private sector, even as the economy expanded modestly. The private sector unionization rate fell from 6.9 percent to 6.6 percent.

Unions have steadily lost members since their peak in the 1950s, when about one of every three workers was in a union.

A liberal is man who will give away everything he doesn't own.
Frank Dane
  Old  July 17th, 2013, 9:03pm     #2
retrobruce
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post

Yet they keep doing stupid things to try to get new members.

Hostess is a great example.

This is how the union helped bankrupt and kill the previous company:
From management's perspective, the labor unions were ultimately to blame for Hostess' bankruptcy. When the Bakery, Confectionary, Tobacco Workers and Grain Millers union rejected Hostess' reduced wages, walking out of nearly two-thirds of the company's factories, Hostess reportedly lost tens of millions of dollars in unfulfilled orders.

http://www.alaskadispatch.com/articl...jobs-disappear

The new owners, which are known for fixing up struggling brands, are not using unionized workers. That means their labor costs are lower than they were for the previous owners.
The bakers union has encouraged the new owners to change their approach and work with its members. It notes that the experience of its members offers "the best chance for long-term success in consistently putting out a quality product."
source: http://www.nola.com/food/index.ssf/2...nkies_new.html

Now they think that the same union will somehow magically HELP the new company?

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Astounding.

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character. ~ Martin Luther King, Jr
  Old  July 18th, 2013, 12:07am     #3
RockysJewel
Grand Master Sweeper

Awesome! Unions were for before the labor laws came into play. No need for their overpriced ridculousness. Can't imagine having to pay $35 a month for it and making barely $9 an hour like at Fred Meyer. Just one example. Buh bye unions!

I am not Rocky . I am ~JEWEL~
  Old  July 18th, 2013, 4:17am     #4
bigskwinner
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockysJewel View Post
Awesome! Unions were for before the labor laws came into play. No need for their overpriced ridculousness. Can't imagine having to pay $35 a month for it and making barely $9 an hour like at Fred Meyer. Just one example. Buh bye unions!
thats cheap LOL
the last place I worked at it was $25/week because we got paid weekly
its the food union for places like Superstore/loblaws etc (was the old Mitchells' plant, then Schneiders got it then it was finally Maple Leaf foods) and I made min wage as well (which at the time was $6.75/hr, but thats about 14yrs ago now and the company closed the location and down sized in Saskatoon considerably, esp after killing so many people with dirty equipment)

the biggest turn off for me while at the company with the UNION was that they protected people who were caught red handed stealing (the guy had ribs tapped to this legs and tried to walk out of the plant and the union said they would stand behind him 100% ) now I'm neither a liar nor a thief and I don't feel the union is representing ME if its representing liars and thiefs ...but thats just my opinion

my wins

WAREHOUSE 13 "see, impossible wishes, wishes that can never be granted, they produce a ferret."
Closed Thread