Old  August 17th, 2007, 3:31pm     #106
texaslady22
Master Sweeper

Good deal alert -

FREE Laminating for homeschool teachers (and public school teachers) every Thursday at Office Max through September 13th. You can take in as much as you want, as long as you drop it off on a Thursday.

I'm serious!!

I'm having TONS of stuff laminated!!!

I'm eternally blessed! My Wins
  Old  August 27th, 2007, 6:45am     #107
flagardener
Senior Sweeper

Location: In The Boonies of Florida !!! << lost in my garden ...
new homeschool mom here from florida ...
my son will be in the 10th grade this go around ...

anyone have specific links for FLORIDA ??? that mite help us
plan classes ... he will be using the FLORIDA VIRTUAL SCHOOL for
lots ...

does anyone know if florida has funding for any supplies ect
for people who homeschool ??? we did purchase him a computer to use but
never thought that a state mite fund something like that ???

thanks ... << will be checking this link often i found some great links already
to help with classes ...

Last edited by flagardener; September 1st, 2007 at 8:21pm.
  Old  August 28th, 2007, 1:18am     #108
smokey4
Master Sweeper

Here's a fairly new forum site for homeschoolers. It has tons of useful links.

http://homeeduresource.forum5.com/in...omeeduresource

Damsel In Defense www.mydamselpro.net/todefendyourself

Doterra essential oils http://www.mydoterra.com/AmandaChapman2
  Old  September 21st, 2007, 6:21pm     #109
Ron C
Master Sweeper

How are you homeschoolers doing out there this year
This is our first full year doing this and so far it seems to be doing well.

We started at the beginning of the month and my wife says that they are on pace to be done with 2nd grade by the end of December. They spend about 4 or 5 hours a day on school and the rest of the day off. Everything seems to be going well but he hates the math part. Any suggestion out there for getting your kids to enjoy doing math

My wife is going to try tying it into science since he seems to really in joy that. She has also incorporated some cooking since he likes to help make things in the kitchen (measuring and fractions). He can do it if you give him a ultimatum, If we say you need to get this done in the next so many minutes or loss a privilege he will do it, but we hate to have to give him ultimatums everyday. It's funny he loves English, history, science, geography and is really good at them but hates math. And itís not that he canít do it because he does it when he is pushed.

Has anyone found a good math program or math games that your kids like to do or had success with something else?

Thanks
  Old  September 21st, 2007, 6:48pm     #110
Ron C
Master Sweeper

Hereís a link to a homeschool web site. They seem to have a lot of different things to offer people.

I noticed that the home page is talking about Alaska and how they have band any religious-based materials for funding. I know my wife ordered a Spanish language course for my son and it was declined because they said it was religious based. The only thing religious about it was one of the reviews was from a religious homeschooling site and there own review said it wasn't religious base.
  Old  September 25th, 2007, 7:55am     #111
karette
Sweeper

Wow! I never realized this thread was here! I'll have to check things out more in the future. We are in our 7th year of homeschooling. I think it was quite daunting over the first three years. Now, it flows more easily. My sons like to learn by playing. We've played red light green light and leap frog while learning math or phonics facts. For things like flashcards, if they get it right in so many seconds, the card is theirs. If not, then it's mine. Person with most cards in the end wins. Board games also help with things like learning money.

I can probably find more ideas, but my baby is up so I must go.

Old  January 17th, 2008, 1:33pm     #112
Wildvines
Master Sweeper

Smile
Hello. I see that this thread isn't very active and thought that maybe this would be a good "bump"! We home school using www.k12.com through PAVCS - it's paid for with my school taxes and does not cost us a dime. The kids receive all of the needed materials including computers! So far, we love it! The boys (ages 6 and 13) have never been healthier. They are no longer exhausted and grouchy! We are much busier now due to skating, bowling, karate, class trips, etc... but it is worth it to see how content they are. We live in a rural area - 25 minutes to the nearest grocery store - so we have joined 2 diff. home school support groups to keep the kids active with their peers. They seem to get to spend more quality time with their friends than they ever did in school. And the easiest part is that the lesson plans are all laid out for me (them). We waiver from them sometimes - and do our own thing - they get credit for the class either way. And if we work a little harder during the beginning of the week we are able to take most of Fridays off sometimes. There are no set hours that you have to work.
If anybody has any questions or also does this program - I'd love to hear from you!! PM me!!
Cindy

ps. PAVCS = Pennsylvania Virtual Charter School For us it is like a mixture of traditional home school and charter school www.pavcs.org

Please call me Cindy - WildVines is just a screen name!
  Old  February 16th, 2008, 10:15pm     #113
Ron C
Master Sweeper

What do you do to keep your kids active around other kids? We live rural so not a lot of neighbors here for him to play with.

We have done cub scoots, swimming, karate, skiing, baseball, summer camps, and different summer programs.

Anyone else have ideas?
  Old  February 17th, 2008, 7:28am     #114
Wildvines
Master Sweeper

Have you looked for any kind of homeschool suppourt group in your area? We have joined two of them - one being close and the other about 45 minutes away. They provide so many "outings" I have trouble just picking a few! My boys are on two diff. bowling leagues (through the support groups) and there is at least one trip a week scheduled -- ice skating, a trip to the courthouse, we learned how to make pizza at Pizza Hut, firehouse trip, roller skating -- and at least 30 kids at each event. All of the events are planned during "school" hours. We live in a very rural area also - dirt roads and the nearest neighbor is not walking distance (to me anyway). When my boys were in publice school the bus would pick them up about 2 miles away.

I googled homeschool support group and my state and then just looked for something fairly close to me. It was hard for us to find activities for the boys at first too. They take karate but that was about it at first. Everyone tells us to find a church so that they will have interaction but we don't feel that you choose a church by the amout of kids in Sunday school and we haven't yet found one around here where we feel we belong.

Good luck Ron!

Cindy

* If you get a chance - read this! It is interesting.
http://www.homeeducator.com/FamilyTi...-1article1.htm
  Old  February 18th, 2008, 11:08am     #115
carenyllie
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron C View Post
This is our first full year doing this and so far it seems to be doing well.

We started at the beginning of the month and my wife says that they are on pace to be done with 2nd grade by the end of December. They spend about 4 or 5 hours a day on school and the rest of the day off. Everything seems to be going well but he hates the math part. Any suggestion out there for getting your kids to enjoy doing math

My wife is going to try tying it into science since he seems to really in joy that. She has also incorporated some cooking since he likes to help make things in the kitchen (measuring and fractions). He can do it if you give him a ultimatum, If we say you need to get this done in the next so many minutes or loss a privilege he will do it, but we hate to have to give him ultimatums everyday. It's funny he loves English, history, science, geography and is really good at them but hates math. And itís not that he canít do it because he does it when he is pushed.

Has anyone found a good math program or math games that your kids like to do or had success with something else?

Thanks

One of the reasons I pulled my kdis out of public school was because of the math! They would give them these sheets with problems, just doing the same thing over and over again. I understand if you don't get it and need practice, but once you've done essentially the same problem 15 times correctly, I wouldn't kill myself (or my kid) trying to get him to do the next 35! I use Saxon Math and both my kids LOVE it. It is VERY cumulative and it helps keep it from being boring and repetitious. Also, it keeps the stuf from months before fresh in their mind so you don't have to start each year with review. They have a website www.saxonmath.com, but you can find their packs at places that sell homeschool curriculum.
  Old  March 10th, 2008, 2:13am     #116
judyv01510
Master Sweeper

Kids are 9,8,7,5,3

Saxon Math used here too, Shurley Grammar and Spalding phonics. We belong to Arizona Virtual Academy. We take what we want from them and leave the rest. Through AZVA they have history, art, music, current events, geography. They learn spanish but that is a hit and miss class. We buy tons of science books and books with experiments. (Science is the reward for getting everything else done.) They read Popular Science. They read a ton. They must to free writing at least 1/2 hr per day (journal, thank you notes, creative writing, a descriptive piece, a how to piece).

We teach year round, 5 days a week, and 8am to 3 pm with a lunch and free time of 75 minutes. But we are free to stop if we have company or want to go somewhere or go on a vacation.

Socialization - we belong to 2 home school groups. We just finished "Odyssey of the Mind".
They play hockey, tennis, choral group, hip hop dance, tumbling, play violin, these are done out of the home, not everyone does everything. They all learn piano, that is at home. They have neighborhood and church friends.

All but 1 of the kids are 2 grades ahead. The 1 is at grade level or a little above.
  Old  March 10th, 2008, 2:16am     #117
judyv01510
Master Sweeper

Oh I forget in socialization that they belong to Cub Scouts, Brownies and Daisys
  Old  March 10th, 2008, 9:57pm     #118
Ron C
Master Sweeper

I heard part of a news store about California passing a law that if you home schooled you have to be a certified teacher?

Now I only heard the last part of the story so I am not sure of the facts or the whole story but was wondering if anyone else heard about this and had more facts.

This would be a terrible blow for people that home school, a very small percent of parents that home school are certified teachers.

Heres a reply from "FaithHopeJoy

It was a court decision against a family in CA that homeschooled. Several homeschool organizations and their lawyers are working to make sure this does not affect all the other homeschooling families in CA. Here is a website to sign up with to show your support to homeschooling families:" https://www2.hslda.org/Registrations...Completed=true

Please sign the petition for all homeschooling
  Old  March 10th, 2008, 10:09pm     #119
nekkidfish
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron C View Post
I heard part of a news store about California passing a law that if you home schooled you have to be a certified teacher?

Now I only heard the last part of the story so I am not sure of the facts or the whole story but was wondering if anyone else heard about this and had more facts.

This would be a terrible blow for people that home school, a very small percent of parents that home school are certified teachers.

Heres a reply from "FaithHopeJoy

It was a court decision against a family in CA that homeschooled. Several homeschool organizations and their lawyers are working to make sure this does not affect all the other homeschooling families in CA. Here is a website to sign up with to show your support to homeschooling families:" https://www2.hslda.org/Registrations...Completed=true

Please sign the petition for all homeschooling
Arnold said he would veto it.

HUGz! Jules

Today is the day to live! Yesterday is gone, and I cannot change it. Tomorrow is not yet here, nor do I know if it will come.

Therefore, let me make the most of today.
  Old  March 11th, 2008, 12:06am     #120
venus_de_milo
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekkidfish View Post
Arnold said he would veto it.
He can't veto a decision made by the court. However, many CA homeschoolers use the private school option--we "homeschool" by operating a private school out of our home. There already is no option to "homeschool" in California law--you either attend public school, private school, or are tutored by a certified teacher. If the parent is already a certified teacher then they can take the 3rd option but most of us go the private school route, so the decision (which will be appealed anyway) is not likely to affect the majority of CA homeschoolers.