Old  May 21st, 2009, 4:48pm     #166
TWOPYRZ
Senior Master Sweeper

We finally made our decision and WILL be homeschooling this year. Our oldest is five. I ordered a curriculum and it arrived the other day. She is tickled pink and cant wait to get started.

We are probably going to start in August as we have another little one due in September. That way we can take a couple of weeks off if need be.

Has anyone homeschooled with a newborn? Any tips you could toss my way? We also have a 3yo and a 2yo so we are kind of used to juggling the different ages anyway.
  Old  May 21st, 2009, 4:48pm     #167
AlaskanSweeper
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironbutterfly View Post
I thought this was a forum to engage discussion and exchange ideas? I don't understand what was said that you feel is needling?
As the title states, this is the Homeschool Support Thread.

Quote:
People will always have questions regarding something they have never been a part of, why do you sound so bitter?
You, pearlleemay, and rajcjj1 made statements about the essay and homeschoolers. You did not ask questions. Ironically, all of your statements are of the type that are mentioned in Markus's essay. For example, pearlleemay made the comment I've seen her make several times before in the PF regarding homeschoolers shopping during the day. You stated that you believe not everyone is qualified to homeschool. Parents teach their children everyday, and homeschool parents believe they are the best teachers for their children.

I resent that until recently this truly has been a homeschool support and discussion thread.

Quote:
And for the record, if you don't want questions regarding homeschooling, or only specifically want pro-homeschooling comments, maybe this can be moved to the part of the board where comments and challenging questions are forbidden, I'll have to ask a mod wether I was out of line posting this today
Again, none of you asked questions. None of you homeschool, and none of you are planning to homeschool. You were not seeking information or support. The only time I've seen you asking for homeschool "support" is when you started a thread in the political forums because you disagreed with your brother's decision to homeschool his children.

It would be a shame if this thread had to be removed from parenting to prevent non-homeschoolers from stirring up controversy. This is not the first time that people from the PF have carried the debate out of that forum and attacked homeschoolers.

Honestly, IB, you would understand if you were a homeschooler.

Last edited by AlaskanSweeper; May 21st, 2009 at 5:27pm. Reason: add
  Old  May 21st, 2009, 6:38pm     #168
ironbutterfly
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildvines View Post
I think that you are both correct.

Ironbutterfly - you are so right - not everyone can successfully homeschool their children. It takes so much more patience than I assumed it would! It's sometimes frustrating though that people seem to think that there is something wrong with my children because we homeschool. We do it because it is right for us. My boys are happier and healthier than they have ever been! To me - the amusement park comment was funny because it is true! Although when my son was in public school - we wouldn't think anything of taking a mental health day every now and then and going somewhere special.

Alaskansweeper - the zingers do seem neverending and sometimes come from the strangest places... LOL It always shocks me when family members say something like "your kids are so quiet is that why you keep them home?" LOL My kids are just respectful and well behaved! LOL Not to start a new discussion but we don't even spank them! LOL

I sometimes wonder if people think that I homeschool whatever I want. We use a charter school program. My kids have regular text books and materials and even have to log-in for attendance. It was so much fun teaching my younger son to read and watching him "get it". And our older son is going into 9th grade all honors classes! We are proud of them both.

Sorry to go on and on...

I'm glad it's working for you guys

I asked a mod if I was out of line with my posts and was told it was fine so I won't delete it

However, I popped in as it was bumped as a recent posted topic so I responded. I don't want to step on any toes here or make this uncomfortable for any of you guys.

I was stating an opinion that the essay came off as something maybe ONLY a homeschooler would appreciate and would only further alienate positive discussion from non homeschoolers.

Now that I said that opinion, and it seems to have ruined someones day, I'll leave it alone

All I Want For You My Son Is To Be Satisfied
  Old  May 22nd, 2009, 2:36pm     #169
venus_de_milo
Grand Master Sweeper

Anyone here use Math-U-See? I have used Horizons Math (offered by Sonlight) for several years and was prepared to order it again when I saw that it only goes through the 6th grade! I'll have a 7th grader in the fall and Math-U-See was recommended to me by a fellow Saxon-hater (LOL). I know a lot of people like Saxon, but we used it for 1st grade and it was so repetitive my DD and I were both dying of boredom. Tried Singapore as well but I couldn't get over all the metric-y stuff. :P
  Old  May 22nd, 2009, 4:32pm     #170
AlaskanSweeper
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by venus_de_milo View Post
Anyone here use Math-U-See? I have used Horizons Math (offered by Sonlight) for several years and was prepared to order it again when I saw that it only goes through the 6th grade! I'll have a 7th grader in the fall and Math-U-See was recommended to me by a fellow Saxon-hater (LOL). I know a lot of people like Saxon, but we used it for 1st grade and it was so repetitive my DD and I were both dying of boredom. Tried Singapore as well but I couldn't get over all the metric-y stuff. :P
I went to one of their workshops at the curriculum fair here last year. I thought the Math-U-See program seemed a little gimmicky. You might like the fact that there's not a lot of repetition. The salesman said that once a skill is learned the students move on and don't review it.

My son benefits from a more spiral approach to math. We are using Exploring Mathematics which has review pages throughout the book. I realized this spring that our math program had been discontinued, so we will have to switch in the mid-elementary years. I'm going to go with the U. of Chicago's Everyday Mathematics because I'm planning to use their 7-12 program. Here's a link if you're interested in looking at that program: http://ucsmp.uchicago.edu/
  Old  July 6th, 2009, 8:15am     #171
delilya
Master Sweeper

I will be homeschooling my grandsons this year. They will be going into the 2nd and 4th grades. I am reading through the posts to see what information I can pick up from all of you who are established.

For the last 5 years they have attended a small, private school that I thought they would be graduating from. However one teacher has ruined that by refusing to accept that the youngest has Aspergers and she was of the opinion that no one got special treatment in her class.

Hmmm, why are we paying for a private school then? If she had not changed this year to being the second grade teacher, we would leave them there, but I am not putting him through another horror year from this teacher. The public schools in Georgia are a joke, with our students rating as some of the lowest in the nation. (Sorry if this offends some, but it's the truth)

This was not an easy decision and I am feeling a bit overwhelmed with where to buy everything and what curriculum to follow. So, I really appreciate this thread and all the info in it.

"Hippies started the ecology movement. They combated racism. They liberated sexual stereotypes, encouraged change, individual pride, and self-confidence. They questioned robot materialism. In four years they managed to stop the Vietnam War." Timothy Leary
  Old  July 6th, 2009, 11:21am     #172
AlaskanSweeper
Master Sweeper

Welcome, Delilya! I hope that you have a great homeschooling year with the boys.

You might want to consider buying "box" curriculum this year. Places I've heard other people recommend are Laurel Springs and Calvert. You order the set for a specific grade, and that set will have all the textbooks that you need for the year. Its a low-stress way to begin. You can always shop around or attend a curriculum fair if you want to change for the following year.

A great place for homeschool supplies is Rainbow Resource. They have a 1300 page catalog as well as a website that is easy to navigate. Almost all of the items they sell are discounted. The catalog has both religious-based and secular materials. They are careful to denote this, which is good for us because our program won't reimburse the purchase of materials that are faith-based. We also buy from Amazon, and use our local library a lot.
  Old  July 6th, 2009, 11:41am     #173
Wildvines
Master Sweeper

We use a charter school program. It is free and they reimburse us for our internet fee. They send everything the kids need - books, art supplies, etc... The kids even have access to teachers online. Does your state offer that?

www.k12.com is where all of our materials come from

Please call me Cindy - WildVines is just a screen name!
  Old  July 6th, 2009, 12:10pm     #174
delilya
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildvines View Post
We use a charter school program. It is free and they reimburse us for our internet fee. They send everything the kids need - books, art supplies, etc... The kids even have access to teachers online. Does your state offer that?

www.k12.com is where all of our materials come from
We have them signed up for the Virtual Academy here, but they are on a waiting list. We wouldn't know till mid-September if they were accepted or not.

That was another decision we were trying to make, go ahead and start and hope they get in or wait and see if they get in. I hate for them to start later than everyone, especially if it turns out they can't get in this year.

So we decided to go with me starting them out and we will see how it goes from there.

"Hippies started the ecology movement. They combated racism. They liberated sexual stereotypes, encouraged change, individual pride, and self-confidence. They questioned robot materialism. In four years they managed to stop the Vietnam War." Timothy Leary
  Old  July 6th, 2009, 12:24pm     #175
delilya
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskanSweeper View Post
Welcome, Delilya! I hope that you have a great homeschooling year with the boys.

You might want to consider buying "box" curriculum this year. Places I've heard other people recommend are Laurel Springs and Calvert. You order the set for a specific grade, and that set will have all the textbooks that you need for the year. Its a low-stress way to begin. You can always shop around or attend a curriculum fair if you want to change for the following year.

A great place for homeschool supplies is Rainbow Resource. They have a 1300 page catalog as well as a website that is easy to navigate. Almost all of the items they sell are discounted. The catalog has both religious-based and secular materials. They are careful to denote this, which is good for us because our program won't reimburse the purchase of materials that are faith-based. We also buy from Amazon, and use our local library a lot.
I am excited about it. Worried also that I will fail them in some way.

Yes, we are going with the box curriculum as it contains the books and teachers guides. We figured this being the first time out it would be best.

They will still be going to CDC at the school/church for their religious training, so that isn't a concern with any curriculum. The 2nd grader has his first communion this year so he will have to attend those classes, but the school is willing to work with us on that.

Great, I will check out Rainbow Resource. I am happy to hear they carry both religious based and not. Had not thought to look at Amazon. We have a gigantic library that is going to open this fall right up the road from us. I can hardly wait for lots of reasons! I'll be sending a list with my daughter anyway..haha.

Thanks for all the input.

Old  July 6th, 2009, 10:20pm     #176
Ron C
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by delilya View Post
I will be homeschooling my grandsons this year. They will be going into the 2nd and 4th grades. I am reading through the posts to see what information I can pick up from all of you who are established.

For the last 5 years they have attended a small, private school that I thought they would be graduating from. However one teacher has ruined that by refusing to accept that the youngest has Aspergers and she was of the opinion that no one got special treatment in her class.

Hmmm, why are we paying for a private school then? If she had not changed this year to being the second grade teacher, we would leave them there, but I am not putting him through another horror year from this teacher. The public schools in Georgia are a joke, with our students rating as some of the lowest in the nation. (Sorry if this offends some, but it's the truth)

This was not an easy decision and I am feeling a bit overwhelmed with where to buy everything and what curriculum to follow. So, I really appreciate this thread and all the info in it.
Good luck delilya,

I know it can be scary and overwhelming but it will be well worth it to your grandsons. My wife actuly homeschools our son and has done a great job.
  Old  July 8th, 2009, 12:40pm     #177
delilya
Master Sweeper

Great news, we just got the call from Virtual Academy and the boys have a spot this year. As soon as we get the papers faxed to them we will get their school materials. I am so happy!

With them still being young I figured I could handle their school work but am happy they will have a place as they get older and the math gets more complicated...lol.

Old  August 15th, 2009, 8:43am     #178
Nathanial
Sweeper

hi ..

i am all in support of home schooling but some days kids do need some strature ..
is there any middle ground ..
my eldest one has just joined the school .

thanks..
  Old  August 15th, 2009, 9:39am     #179
Wildvines
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathanial View Post
hi ..

i am all in support of home schooling but some days kids do need some strature ..
is there any middle ground ..
my eldest one has just joined the school .

thanks..
Hello. What school did your older child join? Most charter schools are pretty structured as far as academics go. Traditional homeschooling is as structured as you choose for it to be. At least that is the way it is around here! Good luck.

Please call me Cindy - WildVines is just a screen name!
  Old  August 15th, 2009, 5:45pm     #180
mnsteph
Grand Master Sweeper
Senior Editor

My son started Connections Academy Kindergarten. We actually start for real on Sept. 1st but have started to work on lessons and stuff. While I am a bit nervous and unsure of what is going on, I am so glad I went this route. No way could he do the 45 kid per class public school Kindergarten and the get the same quality education, and the Catholic school was out of the question. I sometimes worry that we are doing to much work. He is going into Kindergarten and can already read well, write, use a computer, and do all the beginning math. Most of his assigments are way below his level, but than others, like drawing a picture of our house with himself standing in it, are way above (he isn't into arts & crafts). I am also finding that I don't have enough space for school supplies, they are all over the place in the kitchen and driving me nuts. What do you guy do to organize books and supplies?