Old  September 17th, 2008, 12:59am     #136
judyv01510
Master Sweeper

Across the country, homeschoolers have been celebrating the most significant victory for homeschool freedom in 14 years. On Aug. 8, in a unanimous reversal of its previous ruling, the Court of Appeal for the Second Appellate District in California ruled that parents in California could homeschool legally without being a certified teacher.

Nationwide attention was focused on this case after the same panel of three judges ruled on Feb. 28 that parents could not teach their own children unless they possessed a teaching certificate. Since the overwhelming majority of homeschool parents are not teacher-certified, the ruling effectively banned homeschooling.

The case In Re Rachel L. arose in a confidential juvenile court dependency proceeding involving a homeschooling family. The petition filed against the family, however, did not involve the issue of education. When the juvenile court assumed jurisdiction over the family, the attorneys appointed by the state for the two younger children requested that the juvenile court judge terminate the family’s homeschool program and order the children to be enrolled in a public or private school. This was not because of education issues, but to protect the children from potential abuse. The judge refused to order the children into school. In response, the children’s lawyers asked the Court of Appeal to order the children into school.

The Court of Appeal did not directly address the attorneys’ request, instead ruling on how parents could homeschool in California. Its first ruling denied parents the ability to freely homeschool in California.

The father’s attorney requested that the Court of Appeal reconsider its decision. On March 25, the Court of Appeal agreed to rehear the case. Interested organizations on both sides of the issue were urged to file friend-of-court briefs. The governor, attorney general, superintendent of public instruction and the California Department of Education all filed briefs supporting the view that parents could homeschool under the private school exemption in California. Of the 16 briefs that were filed, 14 supported the interpretation of the law that allowed homeschoolers this option.

In the Aug. 8 opinion, the court said its proper role was not to make policy, but to interpret the law. It went on to say its further review of California statutes show homeschooling is legally permissible when conducted as a private school. The decision upholds 30 years of practice in California where homeschooling has been carried out under the private school exemption.

The private school law requires the parent/administrator to annually file an affidavit under penalty of perjury indicating, among other things, the grade level and number of students to be taught that year, an assurance that the courses of study would be the same as those taught in the public schools, maintain an attendance register, and that the teachers providing the instruction are capable of teaching.

Perhaps recognizing that teacher certification is an unreasonable teacher qualification for homeschooling parents, the overall media commentary has been favorable to homeschoolers, but some have called for more oversight from the state. This suggestion is misplaced because research shows no correlation between the degree of regulation imposed by the state and homeschool academic achievement. Research also shows the education level of the parent has very little impact on how well homeschooled students perform on standardized achievement tests.

It is also worth considering that the way California has handled homeschooling for the past 30 years is consistent with at least 10 other states, including Texas, Alabama, Indiana and Illinois.

The court is to be congratulated for being willing to change its initial opinion. Now it’s time for parents to refocus on raising the next generation without worrying about the state of California knocking on their door.

Homeschoolers are thriving academically because their teacher loves them and has chosen to give them individualized attention, curriculum and instruction. There’s no need for the state to excessively regulate homeschoolers, but the recent experience in California shows we must always remain vigilant in defense of homeschool freedom.

Michael Smith is the president of the Home School Legal Defense Association. He may be contacted at (540)338-5600; or send email to media@hslda.org.
  Old  November 5th, 2008, 5:50pm     #137
inspiringmind
Senior Master Sweeper

Questions???
We are going to start home schooling our oldest (who has Aspergers). He will be going through the city schools online. It is Virtual Learning Academy. (Jefferson County Education Center) They say he has to be online 5 hours a day. Right now I have these questions:

What if he finishes a course early?

Does he get Christmas/Easter breaks?

How do we get some of the supplies for science class?

How do projects get graded?

How many classes will he take at a time?

We did find out today since he has an IEP that he should get an aide that will come to our home and that he will still be able to go on field trips and do other school activities so he stays social.

Are there any other questions I should ask when we go to sign him up tomorrow?
  Old  November 5th, 2008, 9:40pm     #138
Julianne530
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspiringmind View Post
We are going to start home schooling our oldest (who has Aspergers). He will be going through the city schools online. It is Virtual Learning Academy. (Jefferson County Education Center) They say he has to be online 5 hours a day. Right now I have these questions:

What if he finishes a course early?

Does he get Christmas/Easter breaks?

How do we get some of the supplies for science class?

How do projects get graded?

How many classes will he take at a time?

We did find out today since he has an IEP that he should get an aide that will come to our home and that he will still be able to go on field trips and do other school activities so he stays social.

Are there any other questions I should ask when we go to sign him up tomorrow?
Sorry, I started to write to you earlier, but had to deal with my own children...LOL!

I have never used the public school's home version, though I am considering using our charter school's next year. Our charter schools send a teacher to your home once a week and if they have an IEP they get more teacher or tutor time and whatever services needed.

Your questions are good. Your son should be getting all the same holidays as the public school on their schedule.

I would also want to know if you son has his work completed in less than those 5 hours, can he do extra credit learning and what would that be?

Will they give him grades or just a Pass if he passes the class? If he is in high school and wanting a scholarship for college a "pass" would hurt him.

How will they administer tests for his courses and state testing? Do they give him the prep materials for state testing that they give in the public school classroom to prepare him?

If he is taking speech or any type of occupational therapy, do those count as school hours, because on the public school campus they do.

I am sure you will have questions as it gets rolling and definitely speak up, as they get as much money (if not more for his Aspergers) as they do for all the other students.

Wishing your family great success!!!

Old  November 6th, 2008, 8:55am     #139
inspiringmind
Senior Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julianne530 View Post
Sorry, I started to write to you earlier, but had to deal with my own children...LOL!

I have never used the public school's home version, though I am considering using our charter school's next year. Our charter schools send a teacher to your home once a week and if they have an IEP they get more teacher or tutor time and whatever services needed.

Your questions are good. Your son should be getting all the same holidays as the public school on their schedule.

I would also want to know if you son has his work completed in less than those 5 hours, can he do extra credit learning and what would that be?

Will they give him grades or just a Pass if he passes the class? If he is in high school and wanting a scholarship for college a "pass" would hurt him.

How will they administer tests for his courses and state testing? Do they give him the prep materials for state testing that they give in the public school classroom to prepare him?

If he is taking speech or any type of occupational therapy, do those count as school hours, because on the public school campus they do.

I am sure you will have questions as it gets rolling and definitely speak up, as they get as much money (if not more for his Aspergers) as they do for all the other students.

Wishing your family great success!!!

Thank you so much!!! Those are some really great questions to ask. I have written them down. He will be going to the school for a social type of group setting, so I am going to ask if that would count towards the 5 hours. I know his IEP says that his tests are not timed. That's another question!! LOL They did change his disability yesterday from a learning disability to "autism". I am not sure, but like you said it may help the funding of the school system.

Thanks again and I am sure that I will be writing more.
  Old  November 6th, 2008, 9:05am     #140
tmmydrlng
Master Sweeper

MyWe've been homeschooling for 13 years, and I've used a few computer classes in that time. My kids get burned out on it & they haven't been diagnosed with any learning problems. I can't believe they want your child to sit online for 5 hours a day. That is just too much time spent staring at a computer. A variety works much better in my opinion. Good luck either way.

Redeem Swagbucks for Amazon or prizes!!!
http://swagbucks.com/refer/ymmat83
  Old  November 6th, 2008, 3:24pm     #141
inspiringmind
Senior Master Sweeper

We signed him up today!! Alex starts tomorrow!

Everybody was really great and all my questions were answered. We are starting him at the beginning of 6th grade basically because he didn't do well enough in the first quarter. He gets a home tutor 3 hours a week. When ever our other son doesn't have school neither does he, unless he wants to. The school will help with science supplies if need be. He gets a percentage grade and it is updated all the time, but he only gets a report card at the end of the school year. If he finishes a course then he can go onto the next grade courses. He will take state tests at the school. When he goes on field trips or to the social class it gets counted as a part of the 5 hours in the day. Super easy website for our son to use and follow.

We are all excited!
  Old  November 18th, 2008, 12:07pm     #142
secular
Grand Master Sweeper

I thought I'd ask you experts. My daughter is in public scholl but off track for the next 3 weeks.

I'm looking for some online (preferably printable) reading and math homework she can practice with. She is a kindergartener and functions at an "advanced" kindergarten level (not quite first grade) per her teacher.

Thanks!
  Old  November 19th, 2008, 8:08am     #143
ContestQueen2002
Senior Master Sweeper

Cool
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizdehart View Post

I thought I'd ask you experts. My daughter is in public scholl but off track for the next 3 weeks.

I'm looking for some online (preferably printable) reading and math homework she can practice with. She is a kindergartener and functions at an "advanced" kindergarten level (not quite first grade) per her teacher.

Thanks!
This site has sheets you can make as easy or as hard as you want then print them for math, also other types of lessons there too:

http://www.softschools.com/math/worksheets/

You can check out the link in my siggy too and click on HOMEschool and see the many pages I have there if you want too. :-)

Wishing us all a wonderful winning week,

Donna P.
  Old  November 19th, 2008, 12:12pm     #144
secular
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContestQueen2002 View Post
This site has sheets you can make as easy or as hard as you want then print them for math, also other types of lessons there too:

http://www.softschools.com/math/worksheets/

You can check out the link in my siggy too and click on HOMEschool and see the many pages I have there if you want too. :-)

Wishing us all a wonderful winning week,

Donna P.
Thanks. Right now I have her working on the starfall reading and writing workbook: http://www.starfall.com/n/N-info/lev...downloadcenter
  Old  November 19th, 2008, 3:17pm     #145
venus_de_milo
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizdehart View Post

Thanks!
I don't think they have any printables but http://www.starfall.com is a great site for beginning readers.
  Old  November 19th, 2008, 5:52pm     #146
secular
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by venus_de_milo View Post
I don't think they have any printables but http://www.starfall.com is a great site for beginning readers.
Starfall has a download and print center. Thanks!
  Old  February 23rd, 2009, 9:59am     #147
chestnutfall
Grand Master Sweeper

Read this and form your own opinion
If this gets ratified by the USA then Homeschooling won't be allowed.
The USA and Somalia are the only countries that haven't ratified this treaty.

http://forums.online-sweepstakes.com...d.php?t=779717
The Threat from International Treaty Law & our ability to parent our own children
  Old  March 16th, 2009, 2:20am     #148
Ron C
Master Sweeper

I thought this was good.

Quote:
"But What About Socialization?"

January 2006

Apparently, the problem with homeschooling is the socialization of children. In the Kolbe Little Home Journal (Fall 2005), there is a brief item called "Homeschooling Family Finds Ways to Adapt to a Public School 'Socialization' Program." Here it is:

"When my wife and I mention we are strongly considering homeschooling our children, we are without fail asked, 'But what about socialization?' Fortunately, we found a way our kids can receive the same socialization that government schools provide. On Mondays and Wednesdays, I will personally corner my son in the bathroom, give him a wedgie and take his lunch money. On Tuesdays and Thursdays, my wife will make sure to tease our children for not being in the 'in' crowd, taking special care to poke fun at any physical abnormalities. Fridays will be 'Fad and Peer Pressure Day.' We will all compete to see who has the coolest toys, the most expensive clothes, and the loudest, fastest, and most dangerous car. Every day, my wife and I will adhere to a routine of cursing and swearing in the hall and mentioning our weekend exploits with alcohol and immorality.... And we have asked them to report us to the authorities in the event we mention faith, religion, or try to bring up morals and values."

So much for socialization!
http://www.newoxfordreview.org/note....-socialization
  Old  March 16th, 2009, 7:53am     #149
Wildvines
Master Sweeper

That is funny! It just drives me crazy when people act like my kids aren't around other kids enough. I am a taxi driver for them at least four nights a week NOT INCLUDING the class trips, friends on weekends, etc... I wish that they got less "socialization". LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron C View Post

Please call me Cindy - WildVines is just a screen name!
  Old  March 16th, 2009, 2:41pm     #150
Ron C
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildvines View Post
That is funny! It just drives me crazy when people act like my kids aren't around other kids enough. I am a taxi driver for them at least four nights a week NOT INCLUDING the class trips, friends on weekends, etc... I wish that they got less "socialization". LOL
I know what you mean. Our son is out 4 nights a week to and gets plenty of "socialization". People seem to think you have them looked up in a cage. I think some people like to use that for an excuse to justify not being a stay at home parent and home schooling. I know it's not for everyone and everyone can't but if you can I think it is much better.

He is so much better now that he is home schooled educationally and socially.