Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  Old  January 24th, 2007, 9:12pm     #11
venus_de_milo
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron C
How many month out of the year do you do homeschooling? Do you follow the regular school schedule or do you go year round with schooling?

How many hours a day do you spend on homeschooling?
My first grader probably spends about 1 to 1.5 hours a day on actual school work--there is additional time spent on practicing her piano and writing in her diary, plus she takes an art class through the local homeschool group for one hour once a week.

My fourth grader spends around 2.5-3 hours on her schoolwork, not counting her piano and diary, and she takes a one hour once weekly class in Hebrew through the homeschool group.

We generally follow the public school schedule with regards to starting and ending dates. However, we don't necessarily take off the days in between that they do--we usually go about 6 weeks and then we take a one week break. Also, my youngest only "does school" Monday through Thursday and the older one has a short day on Fridays.

As for socialization--rocksea_lady, I know you're asking because you are just thinking about starting, so let me say that I mean no offense when I say that socialization is the biggest crap reason people give for being negative about homeschooling. I don't live in a bubble. My children accompany me to Wal-mart, the grocery store, church, etc. They learn how to stand in line and be a good citizen by living, and watching their parents. We are also involved in church and our local homeschool group, and there are kids in the neighborhood that they play with. Yes, if you are planning to homeschool your child and keep them in a dark closet until they turn 18, then you might have a problem with their social behavior. But I'm guessing you won't live that way.