Old  April 15th, 2008, 3:40pm     #1
Ericagsu
Sweeper

Convention and children
Hey everyone!! My mom has been sweepstaking for years and has always attended the convention, well this year I will be going with her! I have a 4 month daughter (she will be 10 1/2 at the time of the convention) and am wondering if anyone has ver brought their children with them and if there were childcare options? I really don't want to leave her here, so anyones help/advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Erica
'A child changes the way you see the world'
  Old  April 15th, 2008, 11:15pm     #2
obxhatteraslight
Senior Master Sweeper

NO children
AS far as I am aware no children under the age of 13 are allowed.... This has been the case in 06 and 07. The first year there were only under a handful of teenagers there. I didn`t notice any at the last convention. I do believe the registration form states no children either.

Please go to http://www.hersheyminiconvention.com/
For more details and information pertaining to this.

For the last 2 Hershey Mini`s there were some people who brought relatives with grandkids to go to Hershey Park in the Dark.

You can email HMCRob@gmail.com for more conclusive information hope this helps.

Last edited by obxhatteraslight; April 22nd, 2008 at 9:14pm.

Old  April 15th, 2008, 11:23pm     #3
obxhatteraslight
Senior Master Sweeper

Link to registration form...
Here is the url for the registration form. In the first couple of paragraphs it explains about children. HTH

http://www.hersheyminiconvention.com...ation_Form.pdf

Old  April 15th, 2008, 11:25pm     #4
obxhatteraslight
Senior Master Sweeper

I believe that there isn`t
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericagsu View Post
Hey everyone!! My mom has been sweepstaking for years and has always attended the convention, well this year I will be going with her! I have a 4 month daughter (she will be 10 1/2 at the time of the convention) and am wondering if anyone has ver brought their children with them and if there were childcare options? I really don't want to leave her here, so anyones help/advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Any childcare options offered by the Holiday Inn Grantville or The Hershey Mini Convention. The only thing that I could think of is if you know other sweepers that are going and have family members that are not attending the actual mini etc. I am sure Rob Aka Positivelift or Carol caran52 will address your comment as soon as time permits.

Old  April 16th, 2008, 12:42am     #5
CARAN52
Master Sweeper

Aimee is correct in her postings. Children under the age of 13 are not permitted into any of the convention functions. No exceptions will be made.

Please read the agenda carefully as posted on the Hershey website before deciding whether to attend. You will see that once we begin the program on Friday night there is very little interaction with anyone that comes with the attendee other than sleeping overnight.

This convention is planned as an adult weekend away and no childcare provisions are provided.

Carol McLaughlin
2008 NE Covn. Coordinator
  Old  April 16th, 2008, 9:56am     #6
tiffanylane
Master Sweeper

I am not planning on going, but I have a question
Why are children not allowed. My husband has a big auto body convention eacy year and children are welcome. Just curious. So don't flame me.

http://www.winzy.com/mckenziesmommy
  Old  April 16th, 2008, 10:26am     #7
obxhatteraslight
Senior Master Sweeper

AS far as I am aware
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffanylane View Post
Why are children not allowed. My husband has a big auto body convention eacy year and children are welcome. Just curious. So don't flame me.

I won`t flame you
Since the get go the Mini was planned as a weekend getaway for adults that enjoy entering sweepstakes. This has been the case since it was formulated in 06. The committee makes an itinerary for the wknd which includes Welcome Session, Speakers, Banquet, Vendor Room and much more. There won`t be any provisions set up for childcare by the committee as far as I know. It would be too much of a distraction to have children included in attendance. Most people even put their cell phones on vibrate so that the speakers aren`t interupted. If you click the link in this thread for the Hershey Mini it has a forum where I believe that this subject was touched on by the Hershey Mini Convention Committee.

Last edited by obxhatteraslight; April 22nd, 2008 at 9:15pm.

Old  April 16th, 2008, 10:42am     #8
CARAN52
Master Sweeper

There will be no provisions for children at all. If planning on attending, please make alternate arrangements for their care.

Reason; 1. A weekend away from the kids!! It's been planned that way for the past 3 years.

2. Limited space. Why would you expect us to fill a seat with a child who has no clue what is going on, or worse than that, sit there in the meeting rooms for hours on end?

Please do not compare this weekend to other corporate events. Every organization is at liberty to make their own guidelines and rules. We have made ours from the get-go and it is organized and planned as a weekend away for fellow adult sweepers. That's all we want it to be.

Let's put this issue to rest.

Carol McLaughlin
2008 Convention Coordiantor
  Old  April 16th, 2008, 10:49am     #9
CARAN52
Master Sweeper

Aimee -- FYI - Attendance is permitted at 13 years and older. Your daughter would be able to register if you choose as long as she is 13 years old and you feel she would not be bored to death. You have been there the past 2 years, so you are in a good position to make that call.

On a side note. There is liquor served at the nightly functions. This is not only our policy for the age limititaion, but the hotels and enforced under our contract.

Again, our schedule, because of so many coming in from out of town, is packed as tight as it can be so that we don't have attendees walking idly around the hotel. For this reason please consider this when deciding to bring along non-attending spouses/friends. You literally will not see them most of the weekend. They will not be permitted into any of the convention areas for security and logistic reasons.

Carol McLaughlin
2008 Convention Coordinator
  Old  April 16th, 2008, 12:00pm     #10
tiffanylane
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by obxhatteraslight View Post

[COLOR="PurpleAlot of weddings these days are adult only functions too. I hope that this helps you understand a little bit. I know how you feel as I mentioned that my DD doesn`t make the cut-off by 3 weeks.
[/color]

I really didn't know that about weddings. Most weddings in my town have tons of children in them. Now I admit I am from a relatively small town, but my husband is wedding photographer, and I have never been to a wedding that didn't allow children. You just gave me a good question for my husband to ask when hes meeting with ppl. Some ppl like a bunch of pics with nieces and nephews goofing off. Thanks for the idea.

Old  April 16th, 2008, 12:14pm     #11
obxhatteraslight
Senior Master Sweeper

Thanks for clarification
[quote=CARAN52;7254442]Aimee -- FYI - Attendance is permitted at 13 years and older. Your daughter would be able to register if you choose as long as she is 13 years old and you feel she would not be bored to death. You have been there the past 2 years, so you are in a good position to make that call.

Last edited by obxhatteraslight; April 22nd, 2008 at 9:16pm.

Old  April 16th, 2008, 12:15pm     #12
obxhatteraslight
Senior Master Sweeper

Wow
Quote:
I really didn't know that about weddings. Most weddings in my town have tons of children in them. Now I admit I am from a relatively small town, but my husband is wedding photographer, and I have never been to a wedding that didn't allow children. You just gave me a good question for my husband to ask when hes meeting with ppl. Some ppl like a bunch of pics with nieces and nephews goofing off. Thanks for the idea.
I must live in Big City USA... Syracuse NY I`ve seen many an invitation for no children. Your DH sounds like he has a neat job

Old  April 16th, 2008, 1:22pm     #13
demmi
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Do the kids go to the seminars ?
  Old  April 16th, 2008, 1:28pm     #14
tiffanylane
Master Sweeper

their has been a few times a small baby
or a young child has went. The parents just brought tuff to occuoy the kids.

Old  April 16th, 2008, 3:14pm     #15
obxhatteraslight
Senior Master Sweeper

Let`s put this post to bed....
Let`s not compare another function with the Hershey Mini Convention.

Summing up the obvious no children are allowed this is an adult faceted mini convention.
There will be nothing NO SEMINARS, NO BABYSITTERS, NOTHING for kids to do.
Children can`t sit at parents feet while parents give them something to do. Registrees are paying good money to go to an adult only function. This statute has been in place since year one. I having attended both 06 07 appreciate and understand why under 13 aren`t allowed.

Simply put NO CHILDREN UNDER 13 ALLOWED

Please visit the Hershey Mini Website which is maintained by the committee and has its own personal forums to deal with any questions that you might have..

http://www.hersheyminiconvention.com/

Last edited by obxhatteraslight; April 22nd, 2008 at 9:17pm.