Old  April 15th, 2018, 11:36am     #16
flash112
Senior Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sottovoce View Post
Huh! You think sponsors read these posts? I wonder why they don't like professional sweepers. I didn't understand that term until reading this thread. Personally, I don't sell wins. I enter because I want the prize.
You need to realize that sometimes someone wins a different prize from the one they were hoping to win. I have also won the same prizes (ex. two of the latest Kindles) within the same month. I wouldn't expect anyone who needs the money or wants something more useful to them to not list their win for sale or trade.
  Old  April 15th, 2018, 11:38am     #17
flash112
Senior Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmiller37 View Post
If you truly want to stop the "drama", use the gift card you won. That's what honest people do.
This is very judgemental. I see why this site is losing members. What happened to live and let live? No one is hurting you if they need or want to sell or trade a prize.
  Old  April 15th, 2018, 11:44am     #18
flash112
Senior Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by juicer View Post
Most sponsors don't give two shakes about "professional sweepers". There are some smaller companies and/or bloggers who care, but not many. A person can do whatever they want with an item once they receive it.
I agree. Plus, I am not a professional sweeper. I get up and go to work everyday.

I think companies have sweepstakes so they can promote and get/keep a lot of visibility for their company and their products. Plus is makes them look good to give prizes away.

Whatever I may win, I am always appreciative.
  Old  April 15th, 2018, 12:44pm     #19
bomar97
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash112 View Post
I am not a professional sweeper..
I wouldn't think there were many around.. you hear of the sensationalized sweeper who gets into the media, but just because someone does more than an occasional sweepstake entry, it doesn't turn them professional.

Even though I may sell some of my wins, all that gets me is maybe a little extra food or to be able to get a repair done.

Is there anything that designates a "professional" sweeper?

I know I can't count on winning anything... I only enter a small proportion of sweepstakes available that I know of and even smaller proportion of sweepstakes out there since I don't know about a lot of them.

I know there is a broad mix of people on OLS, but I know many of us who are retired appreciate winning something we can use and can use the cash we can get from something we can't use. And I'm sure that's the same with people who are still working.

As for the OP .. I guess you just have to keep vigilant of the ever changing patterns. I think there are a lot of good suggestions in this thread and I have learned more to utilize in future ebaying.

Earn cash back while shopping with ebates - my referral https://www.ebates.com/r/BOMER92
  Old  April 15th, 2018, 12:57pm     #20
bomar97
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
If you truly want to stop the "drama", use the gift card you won. That's what honest people do.
Honest people are those who don't cheat to win something.. it has nothing to do with what you do after you win anything.

I'd bet the majority on this website have sold or traded something they've won and couldn't use.

And considering some sweepstakes' prizes come with a variety of gift cards or a prize plus gift card, there's a good chance you may want and need part or the package deal, but not all of it.

Earn cash back while shopping with ebates - my referral https://www.ebates.com/r/BOMER92
  Old  April 15th, 2018, 8:39pm     #21
jujyfruit0
Master Sweeper

Yes I think did the right thing. I'm so over ebay. Why not just sell on FB marketplace.
  Old  April 15th, 2018, 9:34pm     #22
LuckySkunky
Gone Camping

Why your not just selling your gift card to cardpool or giftcardgranny in the first place is beyond me.
  Old  April 16th, 2018, 10:01am     #23
Writerip
Master Sweeper

So sorry this happened to you. I had a similar issue with eBay over a year ago, and stopped selling gift cards there.
  Old  April 16th, 2018, 10:20am     #24
LuckySkunky
Gone Camping

Quote:
wow and I thought my comment was mean
  Old  April 16th, 2018, 11:39am     #25
ContestScott33
Master Sweeper

Wow. I have seen some bad things posted here. I have had similar here.

I have been told "Get off the site, most sweeps have prizes for women only!" (Like I don't have a Mom, Aunt, or Girlfriend or other females in my life to give the prizes too)

Or jumped on for entering a car when I had mentioned I just got a new car in another post - because their car was in and shape and I am taking away from "their win"

Sure.. If I enter and you enter.. we are "competition" for each other - so are the other 20,000+ people that may enter.. heck 200,000+ maybe.

MY WINS!!! last win (01/30/2017)
  Old  April 16th, 2018, 12:53pm     #26
bomar97
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContestScott33 View Post
Wow. I have seen some bad things posted here. I have had similar here.

I have been told "Get off the site, most sweeps have prizes for women only!" (Like I don't have a Mom, Aunt, or Girlfriend or other females in my life to give the prizes too)

Or jumped on for entering a car when I had mentioned I just got a new car in another post - because their car was in and shape and I am taking away from "their win"

Sure.. If I enter and you enter.. we are "competition" for each other - so are the other 20,000+ people that may enter.. heck 200,000+ maybe.
Majority of people on this site could care less what particular sweeps you are entering and would be happy for you if you won something.. Don't let the few define us all.

I personally think it's great that we have male and female sweepers of all ages!

Old  April 16th, 2018, 2:47pm     #27
Rookiesmom
Senior Master Sweeper

[quote=bomar97;11534886]

"Many of us try to win a specific prize but end up with one we don't need or can't use. Sometimes it gets donated. Sometimes given as a gift.. and some of us can use cash so we sell it or trade it here."

Ha, I still have a $2000 set of wheels that I was not trying to win that I paid taxes on in 2007. I've tried to sell them locally for 30% of their original price, still haven't found a buyer. I put them on Craigslist every few months and have to deal with the scammers. They are way too heavy to ship... This was one win that has proved to be a pain in the rear.

American by birth, Southern by the Grace of God.
  Old  April 16th, 2018, 3:19pm     #28
bomar97
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookiesmom View Post

Ha, I still have a $2000 set of wheels that I was not trying to win that I paid taxes on in 2007. I've tried to sell them locally for 30% of their original price, still haven't found a buyer. I put them on Craigslist every few months and have to deal with the scammers. They are way too heavy to ship... This was one win that has proved to be a pain in the rear.

I don't know any way of getting rich doing sweeps! And it's never a given that you can sell or trade a win. I had a set of tires sitting in the cellar for 3 years before we put them on our truck ( shortly before winning them I got a product test of a set of new tires and found out afterwards that those tires didn't need to be returned ) ..

Old  April 16th, 2018, 4:14pm     #29
TawnyNY
Senior Master Sweeper

I've been of the school you can do whatever you want with a prize after you win it. I've heard of a church group who enters and they sell their wins to keep their church going, what donations don't cover. I don't remember their affiliation other than they are Christian.

Sweepers sell their wins on ebay and it's been going on for years. I never have but I am started to go through "stuff" in closets and drawers and wondering where the heck some of this stuff came from and I only can think of sweeping. Was someone giving away a pewter teapot? No matter, I'm putting this stuff on ebay.
  Old  April 16th, 2018, 5:42pm     #30
QBookie
Master Sweeper

50-50 on/off Track
It has been a long time since I have seen a thread go as far from the subject as this one has. Y'all should be posting to the thread "Amazing how no one really reads posts"

Last edited by QBookie; April 17th, 2018 at 11:58am.

Honey, Ain't Nothin' Ever Gonna Be Like It Was Before.