Old  June 13th, 2007, 12:38am     #1
*Harriett*
Senior Master Sweeper

Sweepstakes Convention Type Question: Who will/have you take(n)?
After reading all of the wonderful stories, I am going to try my hardest to make it next year. Anyways as I sit here thinking, I don't know anyone that I think would want to go with me. No one else sweeps

Who are, would, or have taken to a Sweepstakes Convention? Or have you taken someone that was not a sweeper, did they enjoy it? Or did they not want to pay the money. (This is a hobby for me and if a person is not into sweeping, they may not want to pay the money)

Thanks!

Old  June 13th, 2007, 12:52am     #2
Debberly
Senior Master Sweeper

I was just wondering the same thing. My friends just roll their eyes at me. I'll either drag my sister kicking and screaming or look for an OLSer to share a room with

Edit: Umm, guess not sis. I just asked her and she said, "Whhhhhhhhhhhat? Are you being serious? Are you F'ing kidding me?"

Such nice language.......geez

Old  June 13th, 2007, 12:53am     #3
Light474
Grand Master Sweeper

I would probably go by myself. If I won a trip to the convention then I'd take another OLSer with me to the convention. It's a lot more fun to meet up with people at the convention than it is to take someone who doesn't really sweep that much or not really care to be there.
  Old  June 13th, 2007, 1:04am     #4
purplepassion126
Senior Master Sweeper

This was my first convention and my boyfriend came with me. He loved every minute of it, especially the chance to win tons of prizes and meet different people from all over. We looked at it as a vacation with the added bonus of picking up a few great prizes and socializing with very interesting people. He's not a hardcore sweeper, but he enters when things spark his interest. He supports my hobby and we both are looking forward to going to San Antonio next year.

If you do bring someone who's not into sweeping, there's plenty to do outside of the convention as well. Who knows--they might even convert! If you go by yourself, you definitely won't be alone--lots of great people to meet and you will fit right in!
  Old  June 13th, 2007, 8:09am     #5
binski
Grand Master Sweeper
Senior Moderator/Editor
Legal Dawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplepassion126
This was my first convention and my boyfriend came with me. He loved every minute of it, especially the chance to win tons of prizes and meet different people from all over. We looked at it as a vacation with the added bonus of picking up a few great prizes and socializing with very interesting people. He's not a hardcore sweeper, but he enters when things spark his interest. He supports my hobby and we both are looking forward to going to San Antonio next year.

If you do bring someone who's not into sweeping, there's plenty to do outside of the convention as well. Who knows--they might even convert! If you go by yourself, you definitely won't be alone--lots of great people to meet and you will fit right in!

You guys were the cutest couple there! Especially when winning!

I wouldn't take DH unless there was a golf course nearby. Had more fun taking a fellow sweeper.
  Old  June 13th, 2007, 8:17am     #6
zhak
Master Sweeper

are these conventions held all over the US, or just one location? i've never been to one but i'd love to go. i'd probably bring my husband with me even if he does think my sweeping hobby is kind of silly.
  Old  June 13th, 2007, 8:34am     #7
TDAWG
Senior Master Sweeper

I'm kinda torn on this one... I would have loved to have taken my SO or a friend of mine, but since neither of them will click the submit button on a single sweep... That said, I don't think I'm alone in saying that I am a wee bit jealous of pp and her boyfriend - they were so dang cute. He was genuinely enjoying himself - it was a pleasure to meet them!

I actually loved not having to keep anyone entertained and focus on having fun & laughing with my peeps (both new and old) and winning cool stuff. Share a room with an OLSer that you know and get ready to have a killer time!

"I apologize for not being the friend I used to be." - ME.
  Old  June 13th, 2007, 8:34am     #8
gemini lion
Grand Master Sweeper

I saw a few sweepers that shared a room or even a few instances were one would bring thier SO who was not into sweeping, not a lot but a few.

Also, nothing wrong with going it alone Harriet. There are tons of people to hang out with so you wont be lonely that's for sure. You will barely see the inside of your room.

Undergoing maintenance
  Old  June 13th, 2007, 8:47am     #9
tfacey
Senior Master Sweeper

Personally, I went alone last year... and I will go alone next year too. I'd much rather go alone and find a roommate from here rather than drag someone along who is not into sweeping.
  Old  June 13th, 2007, 8:58am     #10
arouet
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debberly
I was just wondering the same thing. My friends just roll their eyes at me. I'll either drag my sister kicking and screaming or look for an OLSer to share a room with

Edit: Umm, guess not sis. I just asked her and she said, "Whhhhhhhhhhhat? Are you being serious? Are you F'ing kidding me?"

Such nice language.......geez

LOL
  Old  June 13th, 2007, 10:39am     #11
KISSaholic4life
Grand Master Sweeper

I went by myself to the Dearborn convention and hung out with sweepers. Most of the OLS'rs left their spouses/SO's at home.

~ Space For Rent ~
I can be found at Facebook - look for KISSaholic4life

Old  June 13th, 2007, 10:52am     #12
kbsocial
Grand Master Sweeper
Administrator
Queen Peep

This was my 3rd convention and I've always gone alone. I've always roomed with an OLSer and hung out with a group of OLSers. I know some people bring a SO or a friend that doesn't sweep and they always seem to have a good time and sometimes go home and have been bitten by the sweepers bug! Like geminilion said, you don't really see the inside of your room much (unless KISS is naked in it ) cuz you are so busy out and about havin fun
  Old  June 13th, 2007, 5:40pm     #13
AlliesMom
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light474
I would probably go by myself. If I won a trip to the convention then I'd take another OLSer with me to the convention. It's a lot more fun to meet up with people at the convention than it is to take someone who doesn't really sweep that much or not really care to be there.
Pick me! Pick me! I'm right up the road!!! Ooh Ooh!
  Old  June 14th, 2007, 12:16am     #14
viclen1954
Master Sweeper

Alone Please
I took my DH to Moline, my sister in law to Scottsdale and DH to Dearborn. My choice? ALONE! My SIL enjoyed the spa and pools and doing the resort thing and is a great traveler and we had a great time. My DH, not so much. He hates being cooped up, can't sit still, drinks too much beer and pretty much doesn't get it. While he doesn't bug me about it, I'd just as soon go to Convention alone and really get immersed in...convention stuff.

My Wins
  Old  June 14th, 2007, 7:18am     #15
Adrianita
Senior Master Sweeper

I went to the mini convention in PA last year and this one. Both times DH went with me. We had a great time! But then again he is very supportive of my hobby, he likes the wins! lol...

It's a nice vacation for us. We get to do touristy stuff together when is not convention time, and during convention we can win double because we are 2 people instead of one He has even started to do some 3x5's during the sessions I think he is becoming a sweeper!