Closed Thread

Old  August 3rd, 2007, 1:54pm     #1
CARAN52
Master Sweeper

Hershey Mini Convention 2008
Hershey Convention 2008

With the National convention being held over Labor Day Weekend 2008, we had to decide whether to hold the mini convention so close to it (the last weekend in October). We are inclinded to think we should book the 2008 one in the spring around May/June 2008.

If this is what you want I have to contact the hotel and start working on the 2008 contract. The spring is going to be a heavy wedding, etc. month. Another option is to move it a little earlier in the year but I am concerned about weather.

Please let me know your thoughts. I will need to make a decision in which way to go within the next couple of weeks. As promised at last year's mini, I will be running it next year. Just needed the break this year. It will again, be sponsored by ANN-tics by Carol and now adding on the addtional sponsorship of This N' That Sweepstakes Stuff newsletter.
  Old  August 3rd, 2007, 2:03pm     #2
demmi
Master Sweeper

Anytime is find for me but I would prefer it not to be during the winter travel can get difficult during the winter in PA.
  Old  August 3rd, 2007, 2:23pm     #3
kbsocial
Grand Master Sweeper
Administrator
Queen Peep

I will be out that way in July 2008 for my grandfather's 85th birthday May could be doable, June is out, but October is still preferable for me
  Old  August 3rd, 2007, 7:11pm     #4
positivelift
Senior Master Sweeper

I vote for January in the Bahamas!

Rob's 2014 wins
  Old  August 5th, 2007, 7:49pm     #5
maryelisabeth
Senior Sweeper

Earlier in the year would be great. I have wanted to go for the past 2 years but the end of October is a busy time for this Halloween fanatic.

Old  August 5th, 2007, 8:10pm     #6
minera
Senior Master Sweeper

I like October, because I will never probably make it too the national convention...

Old  August 5th, 2007, 11:12pm     #7
gracepap
Grand Master Sweeper

I love October. Best month for travel and not too busy....

"It's nice to be important...but it's more important to be nice"
  Old  August 6th, 2007, 1:16am     #8
CARAN52
Master Sweeper

After talking to the hotel, it looks like I may be targeting for around mid-April depending on rates at the hotel and my ability to block off enough rooms to pay for the event. There is rumor of a casion opening up first quarter of the year at the race track down the street and I need to see what impact that will make in reserving rooms ahead of time. I will make my decision based on responses for the next couple of weeks. I cannot wait until October to poll the 2007 crowd. Most of you already know us and the schedule from last year so it would be much the same.

Right now we really have to get Patty's 2007 sold out before I even think of moving forward with 2008 unless I cut the numbers back again. We are responsible for the amount we put down on the contract.

Addressing the October date: What I am concerned with is the impact of those that donate to these events. They usually donate heavy to the nationals plus have their own expenses in attending it. I am afraid (and from speaking as a vendor myself) that it will too much of a draw on them. Plus a lot of those who attended the mini last year were also the same people who attend the nationals. I do have to factor all of that in the ratio. We'll see.
  Old  August 10th, 2007, 2:15am     #9
csandfs
Master Sweeper

I'll go any month!!
  Old  August 10th, 2007, 9:46am     #10
kbsocial
Grand Master Sweeper
Administrator
Queen Peep

Quote:
Originally Posted by csandfs
I'll go any month!!
You haven't even been yet - what a trooper! You could have a HORRIBLE time this year (highly unlikely though!!), but now you are committed for years to come
  Old  August 10th, 2007, 7:31pm     #11
CARAN52
Master Sweeper

Behave KB!! lolol It was only a survey, non-committal. You'll have them running away. You know that also works both ways.

The crowd could be sooooo bad this year that they scare me away from hosting it. lolol But we all know it will be a huge success. More fun than last years!! Right Rob!!
  Old  August 10th, 2007, 8:46pm     #12
positivelift
Senior Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARAN52
Behave KB!! lolol It was only a survey, non-committal. You'll have them running away. You know that also works both ways.

The crowd could be sooooo bad this year that they scare me away from hosting it. lolol But we all know it will be a huge success. More fun than last years!! Right Rob!!

No matter what year it is, we're gonna party like no tomorrow!!!!!

Rob's 2014 wins
  Old  August 15th, 2007, 8:24am     #13
CARAN52
Master Sweeper

Carol, Bucks County, PA
Its looking more and more like the contract for one of the last two weeks of October 2008 will be signed for the mini. Got a call from the hotel today that someone is penciled in for the last weekend which we normally take, but the hotel is looking into how serious they are about booking it. They will give it to us if they can. Otherwise, I have penciled in and have a hold on the weekend before that. We may just have to cut back on the number of attendees that we will guarantee.

In the meantime, if you are planning on attending the 2008 === the 2008 only -==== please send me an email with name and address so that I can keep you updated and have some kind of head counting going into negotiations. I do not want money yet, and it is not a locked in committment but I do only want you to send your name if you ARE intending on coming so that I can get a good idea of who is planning on attending. It's going to be especially sensitive with the national being run right before it.

Send emails to me at: ann-tics@comcast.net.

Merely posting here won't be included in the count.

Last edited by CARAN52; August 16th, 2007 at 7:42pm. Reason: UPDATE INFORMATION
  Old  August 16th, 2007, 1:07pm     #14
csandfs
Master Sweeper

Sent you an e-mail Caran!
  Old  August 16th, 2007, 7:44pm     #15
CARAN52
Master Sweeper

Please take a look at my previous posting which now includes information on which weekends it may be. One of the last two weekends in October.

We are up over 25 interested already and it's been only 2 days posted. Keep em coming. I need 100-150 to prove to the hotel that we can pull it off since we are going to block up all of their rooms this time.
Closed Thread