Old  January 24th, 2007, 9:12pm     #31
venus_de_milo
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron C
How many month out of the year do you do homeschooling? Do you follow the regular school schedule or do you go year round with schooling?

How many hours a day do you spend on homeschooling?
My first grader probably spends about 1 to 1.5 hours a day on actual school work--there is additional time spent on practicing her piano and writing in her diary, plus she takes an art class through the local homeschool group for one hour once a week.

My fourth grader spends around 2.5-3 hours on her schoolwork, not counting her piano and diary, and she takes a one hour once weekly class in Hebrew through the homeschool group.

We generally follow the public school schedule with regards to starting and ending dates. However, we don't necessarily take off the days in between that they do--we usually go about 6 weeks and then we take a one week break. Also, my youngest only "does school" Monday through Thursday and the older one has a short day on Fridays.

As for socialization--rocksea_lady, I know you're asking because you are just thinking about starting, so let me say that I mean no offense when I say that socialization is the biggest crap reason people give for being negative about homeschooling. I don't live in a bubble. My children accompany me to Wal-mart, the grocery store, church, etc. They learn how to stand in line and be a good citizen by living, and watching their parents. We are also involved in church and our local homeschool group, and there are kids in the neighborhood that they play with. Yes, if you are planning to homeschool your child and keep them in a dark closet until they turn 18, then you might have a problem with their social behavior. But I'm guessing you won't live that way.
  Old  January 24th, 2007, 9:37pm     #32
TrinaWants2Win
Grand Master Sweeper

Dallas's day starts out between 9:30 am and 10 am for home schooling. We start with going potty and then brushing our teeth and holding the tooth brush correctly. This takes about 25 minutes.

Then we move to eatting breakfast this starts with Dallas making the choice where to eat. Frontroom or dinning room ( it is important that HE makes this choice) then he is given a choice of 3 or 4 things to eat. Now this is hard for him and most of the time he wont make the choice but when he does its awsome and we go with his choice.

After breakfast we clean up our mess .Dallas helps by me helping him holding his hand with the items in his hand and walking him to the kitchen. ( this is important for dalals to learn to gasp things)

After breakfast we have story time where Dallas must sit for atleast 20 minutes. this can be a challange for Dallas but reading time is not over until he has sit there for 20 minutes.. This can take a long time.

After reading time I ask him simple questions about the book ( he cant answer them but i do give him the answers and ask him each question 4 or 5 times each repeating the answer each time)

Then we have relax time where he gets 1 or 2 hours for a nap.

After relax time it is lunch time and we do the same as we do for breakfast .
this can take up to a hour and a half.

After lunch it is counting /abc time this last a hour . I say ABC for him and 123's in way of songs. We sing along with songs that repeat the abcs and 123's. even if he does not sing along I do sing it to him for a hour ( while we cuddle)

After abc 123 time it is time for "play " we are teaching Dallas how to play with toys. not a easy task and it takes about a hour.

After play time we have PT time. Dallas does all his Therpary then. It takes a hour.

Then we have 30 minutes a day of OT. learning to pull pants up and down take shirt off and on. Brush hair, take off shoes anything he would need to know to do in daily life. This is overwhelmbing to dallas so we only do 30 minutes a day. Were working up to a hour a day.

Then we do Speach for 30 minutes a day . We ask Dallas questions and tell him the correct answers and ask him to repeat it. He has been doing WONDERFUL with this ( this is something that is done ALL day but 30 min straight in the evening)

Dallas's "offical" school does not end until the evening and we tape record it when were able to. So we know what is working and what is not working.

Dallas's school basically never ends. Every second of the day he is awake he is learning something and being pushed to the limits.. this has proved to be a GREAT help with dallas learning.

My advice for home schooling a special need child such as dallas? Pick what you want them to clean and work on them issues at a certian time each time. If your unable to that day pick it up later that night but always do it everyday. Don't ever give up even if it takes months and years.

As far as Dallas being around other children.. We take him to the kids school once to twice a week and he eats lunch with one of their classes and well as play at recess.
We also do toys r us twice a week and for lunch or breakfast we eat out twice a week.

Friday is diffrent then the other days and he goes to his private PT, OT and Speach for hours and gets to be involved with others there as well.

On weekends we like to do the park and we like to do field trips to chuckie cheese and the zoo as well.

We have "animal " time 4 times a week where he hears the animals sounds ( off CD) and gets to guess what animal it is! he is doing wonderful with this and will actully answer a few ( dogs and cats mostly)

We are always pushing Dallas.. it may be physically or emoctionally ( as far as answering questions ) but it is always something and it is something we have been taught to teach him.

I guess it is imporant to know that with special needs children it is imporant to understand that its not always reading/math and spelling they need to learn.

When we didnt know how to teach dallas something.. We went to paid professionals to learn how to teach him. We are never affarid to ask questions.

I'll update later with websites we order from.

Hope this helps someone. sorry if it dont. also.. Dallas's school is everyday. It dont stop for a holiday or summer break or even the summer.. BUT we always make sure it is FUN to learn.

ALso..
my experiance has been GREAT with home schooling. Me and DH takes turns on schooling dallas so we both get a break. Yes its hard at times. Yes i get tired at times.Yes Ive cried and gotten frustrated but in the end I KNOW my child is not being mistreated, put in a dress because he peed threw his diaper, Tied down to a chair with a sheet because he said a naughty word , put in a ball pit to play instead of being with the rest of the class, having a teacher eat off his plate. well.. All this happened to him in public school. I KNOW he is being taken good care of with me. It has been very postive.

Did I talk to much?

PS we do take small breaks also in between that I didnt note. and if Dallas is overly tired he does get to take a nap. we do take it day by day but usually thats how our day goes. When Daddy gets home he does take over so I can take a break. I have cable so I am able to pop in here once in a while! ( net always on!) and with Dallas he LOVES to listen to kids songs off Yahoo sons!! He also gets to learn a lot while I am on the net as we listen to abc 123 songs!!

Old  January 25th, 2007, 12:37am     #33
AlaskanSweeper
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by venus_de_milo
My first grader probably spends about 1 to 1.5 hours a day on actual school work--there is additional time spent on practicing her piano and writing in her diary, plus she takes an art class through the local homeschool group for one hour once a week.
I am in the process of starting to homeschool my son who's in first grade. What subjects do you do with your daughter, and how often do you do them? How much time do you spend on them?
  Old  January 25th, 2007, 1:12am     #34
sixofus
Master Sweeper

Quote:
How can you do 4 boys? You almost have your own school
I actually think that's why it works so well for us. Boys need lots of hands on stuff and physical activities. We break it up thru the day. Science and geography/history are really big at our house. Anything they can recreate.

I also don't really have a set schedule. We work around younger boys like have read aloud time/quiet time at little boys' naptime.
  Old  January 25th, 2007, 10:19am     #35
NewYearNewMe
Senior Sweeper

Question
Quote:
Some great information here, I didn't realize that we could get the teacher discount for homeschooling.

Our state does fund homeschooling programs. We can get reimbursed anywhere from $1,200 to $1,600 a year for supplies. The different programs offer different benefits. I know the program that offers lest amount of money will help to buy a computer and it all seems to even out in the end. They will also reimburse us for a gym membership for him.

We also felt like our son was being held back. We had the school test him and he tested in the 3rd grade level for most subjects and he was in 1st grade. Kindergarten was terrible. They were teaching the kids the alphabet and how to count to 10. Our son was reading and counting to 100 already. He was board and didn't want to pay attention to what the class was doing. They did put him in the multi age class this year (1st, 2nd, and 3rd graders) but the teacher really seemed to spend her time with the older kids and not much with the younger ones.

How do you find out if there is funding for your state? I am in Michigan. Thanks
  Old  January 25th, 2007, 10:49am     #36
trainmom
Senior Master Sweeper

thank you for starting this thread - i just pulled ds out of school in november and sharing of ideas and experiences is wonderful!
  Old  January 25th, 2007, 11:26am     #37
venus_de_milo
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskanSweeper
I am in the process of starting to homeschool my son who's in first grade. What subjects do you do with your daughter, and how often do you do them? How much time do you spend on them?
Well, I am not creatively minded like some, so I use the curriculum that Sonlight has laid out for us. She only has schoolwork four days a week, and we do all of the subjects each of the four days. Their curriculum covers Bible, history, language arts, reading and math (there is also a science option but I didn't purchase that part of the curriculum). Math probably takes the longest, maybe 45 minutes or so? The rest of it takes another half-hour, give or take. Sonlight is heavy on reading and good literature, so it's not like I lecture on history for 15 minutes, we just read a good book about historical events. They use a lot of Usborne books, which I like for the most part.

I am a strong believer in the notion that in the early grades, it's not really prudent or wise to lay a lot of bookwork on a child. I mean, yes, you can push them hard, but I think there will be plenty of time for that later when their minds and bodies get more mature.
  Old  January 25th, 2007, 2:16pm     #38
AlaskanSweeper
Master Sweeper

Thank you for your reply, venus. Its really helpful to get ideas from other parents who are homeschooling children the same age as mine.
  Old  January 25th, 2007, 2:22pm     #39
AlaskanSweeper
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylovesebay
How do you find out if there is funding for your state? I am in Michigan. Thanks
I typed "Michigan homeschool" in IE search and a lot of links came up. You could also look in your local phonebook, or see if there's a correspondence school through your local school district. The correspondence school would probably be your least desirable option. A local homeschool program would probably have better funding, support, and play opportunities.
  Old  January 25th, 2007, 5:24pm     #40
irishjules
Sweeper

There is so much information on the internet about homeschooling. I feel like homeschooling started in our house the day my boys were born! My oldest goes to a Catholic school for 1/2 day kindergarten...but we do homeschool at home too...which he likes better. My youngest is in a pre-k program (he's 3 and ahead of the 4/5 year olds). I am really struggling about what to do with him for next year.

I use a multitude of curriculums...I pull from several different places...I use montessori, waldorf, reggio-emilio and traditional techniques to teach my boys. Science is big for them so I let them choose their theme for January which is all about space! They already know more about the solar system than I do! We will go to the planeterium at the end of the month and may continue in February.

We do several activities outside of "school" so socialization is no problem! Now I just have to decide if I will dig in and do full homeschooling next year. I have also thought of 1/2 day at the Catholic school and 1/2 day at home. I checked and the legality of that is in our state they could go to another school (public or private) for up to 4 hours a day as a part time student and be homeschooled the rest. I just wonder if my son would like that or not - probably not.

Check your state rules - in many states it is not a requirement for kids to be tested. They WANT you to test them because that is how they get some funding for the schools. I WILL NOT ever test my kids unless it is mandated by law. In my state it is not!

Jules

Happy Sweeping!
  Old  January 26th, 2007, 7:53pm     #41
Ron C
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylovesebay
Were you able to find anything out yet about funding for homeschooling?

I wonder if there is anything out there that has a table that shows state by state if they fund homeschooling and how much
  Old  January 26th, 2007, 9:19pm     #42
Faulkner99
Grand Master Sweeper

We don't home school and unless circumstances change significantly, I don't think we ever will, but I just wanted to share a resource for anyone who is interested. I buy tons of materials here:
http://www.lakeshorelearning.com/
It's designed mostly for teachers, but it's also great for parents. I don't buy too much online because I like to go into the brick & mortar store and talk to the staff and see what teachers are buying, but it seems like they have a great catalog of stuff online too.

Microlend! www.kiva.org
  Old  January 26th, 2007, 9:24pm     #43
Ron C
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faulkner99
We don't home school and unless circumstances change significantly, I don't think we ever will, but I just wanted to share a resource for anyone who is interested. I buy tons of materials here:
http://www.lakeshorelearning.com/
It's designed mostly for teachers, but it's also great for parents. I don't buy too much online because I like to go into the brick & mortar store and talk to the staff and see what teachers are buying, but it seems like they have a great catalog of stuff online too.
Thanks for the link Faulkner99
  Old  January 26th, 2007, 9:29pm     #44
Faulkner99
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Thanks for the link Faulkner99
No problem. And for kids ages 3 and up, they have really fun Saturday afternoon crafts that are free and open to the public, in case anyone has a store near them.

Microlend! www.kiva.org
  Old  February 1st, 2007, 4:02pm     #45
Ron C
Master Sweeper

Here is a post from triple*eee on a reading program that worked great for her 10 year old daughter. I thought it might be helpful some people that are homeschooling.

Thanks triple*eee for letting me post this here and passing on this information.

Quote:
LindaMood Bell reading program
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My 10 yr old daughter has always struggled with her reading and other academics.

She is ADD and I'm sure this is a big part of it. She doesn't have trouble sitting still, she has trouble understanding and focusing on what myself/teacher is saying.

I remember before she was diagnosed in 2nd grade, she would come home and say "It's like my brain is spinning and I can't understand what the teacher is saying"

Medication helped her alot but her reading skills were still below her grade level.

She was in reading classes at school but they were not helping. At the beginning of this school year she was given the yearly reading test. She scored very low. The teacher had her take it again in a quite room and it went up a tiny bit but was still well below her grade level.

Then my neighbor told me about the LindaMood Bell reading program. It is taught at our local community college.

I called and set up a screening. She of course qualified and was put on a waiting list. She started the classes about a month after she had taken her reading test at school (aug 2006) . She goes twice a week.

Last week the students were given the reading test again (standard to give it in January again).

My daughter came running off the bus with a note from the teacher. The teacher was SO excited because Elyce had raised her score 200 points!

I am so thankful for this program, it's unlike any other reading program and has great success.

Has anyone here had any experience with the LindaMood Bell reading program??

Linda Mood Bell Reading Program