Old  January 24th, 2007, 3:11pm     #16
indyskyyyy
Senior Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron C
This is one reason why I think homeschooling is so much better for teaching your kids. You can teach your child using topics that they are interested in. Children do so much better learning when you can teach them using a subjected they are interested at a speed that they learn best.
And with my son being so interested in tractors is what led him to owning his own business now. He has his own farm but instead of John Deere tractors he uses International tractors instead.
  Old  January 24th, 2007, 3:19pm     #17
noey718
Senior Master Sweeper

i really wish I could homeschool my child. Where I live the public schools are full of bullies, gangs, and drugs. But I am a single mother that has to go to work. I applaude all of you for homeschooling your children. It may be critisized but you are doing what is best for your children and that is the number one thing to do.
  Old  January 24th, 2007, 3:40pm     #18
Ron C
Master Sweeper

Quote:
rocksea_ladyI will be stalking this thread.... I have a 4 year old that can read and add & subtract single digit numbers. We have started watching reading rainbow, between the lions and cyberchase. I try to turn shows into lessons. If they are measuring things on a show we get out the measuring cups and talk fractions. I am really at a loss when it comes to teaching tools because he doesn't have the fine motor skills to hold a pen and make letters. The lessons have to be visual or on the computer. I really don't want to homeschool but we can't begin to afford private school and there is a policy to not move any children ahead until 4th grade. Well he is already doing 2nd grade work. How do we hold him back for the next 5 years. That just seems mean.
What you have to remember is that the teachers teach to the majority of the class.

What we found when our son started school was that most of the kids didn't know the alphabet, couldn't read, and couldn't count to 10. Our son has been reading since he was 3 and could count to 100 when he started school. So when the teacher started teaching them the alphabet and counting our son was bored.

We had our son tested by the school this year (he's in 1st grade) and he tested out at a 3rd grade level or higher in most subjects (math was 2.5) this after the teacher was complaining that he wasn't paying attention. Well he wasn't paying attention because he was bored!

This is when we decided that it would be best to pull him out and homeschool him. You need to be aware that if he is to far ahead of his class he may be bored and not in joy school or he could be labeled as a problem child from his teacher.

Last edited by Ron C; January 24th, 2007 at 7:25pm.
  Old  January 24th, 2007, 3:52pm     #19
Ron C
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyskyyyy
And with my son being so interested in tractors is what led him to owning his own business now. He has his own farm but instead of John Deere tractors he uses International tractors instead.
Sounds like our son, he loves tow trucks and Semi trucks. He is always talking about owning his own truck when he gets older. He says that when he gets his own truck he is going to take me with him (my wife is all for that ).
  Old  January 24th, 2007, 5:10pm     #20
Ron C
Master Sweeper

How many month out of the year do you do homeschooling? Do you follow the regular school schedule or do you go year round with schooling?

How many hours a day do you spend on homeschooling?

I know from spending time in my son's class that out of the 6.5 hours a day he spent in school he probably didn't get more then 2 hours a day actual teaching time and one on one would be a lot less. I think my wife is figuring probably 4 hours a day of actual lessons with breaks in between.
  Old  January 24th, 2007, 6:00pm     #21
rocksea_lady
Senior Master Sweeper

I'm afraid to ask this one.... What about the dreaded socialization?? I have also been told that he will need to learn to sit still, stand in line, raise his hand, and other (dumb) things that were necessary. hmm I never remember to raise my hand now.... Do I also have to teach him to eat off a tray??? LOL
  Old  January 24th, 2007, 6:20pm     #22
indyskyyyy
Senior Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron C
How many month out of the year do you do homeschooling? Do you follow the regular school schedule or do you go year round with schooling?

How many hours a day do you spend on homeschooling?

I know from spending time in my son's class that out of the 6.5 hours a day he spent in school he probably didn't get more then 2 hours a day actual teaching time and one on one would be a lot less. I think my wife is figuring probably 4 hours a day of actual lessons with breaks in between.

We homeschool Monday thru Thursday from 8-12. We take long weekends!

We start the day after Labor Day and usually finish up in May then we are out for the summer.

We also take a week for Thanksgiving break and 3 weeks for Christmas break. Other than those 2 breaks we don't take any. Sometimes if we have something to do on a particular day like this coming up Monday we will do Monday's work the day before so that will be tomorrow afternoon.

I also found doing 2 subjects a day worked better for us instead of doing all subjects everyday.

This year our schedule days are......

Monday................Economics and Government
Tuesday...............Science and Math
Wednesday..........English and Health
Thursday..............Home Economics
  Old  January 24th, 2007, 6:23pm     #23
sixofus
Master Sweeper

We have four boys, 2,3,5, and 6. I started homeschooling oldest last year for kindergarten after a bad experience with the required preschool screening. I realized I did not want to send him to school. So I spent many late nights researching on internet about homeschooing and the laws here.

The first few months I just pieced things together but ended up purchasing bits and pieces of Sonlight. We really enjoy it. I also use Explode the Code, which DS 6 loves. I am planning on keeping my oldest two together for some things and then the youngest two for some things. We homeschool year round just because we don't do school everyday and for most part some of the stuff doesn't feel like school work.

We also joined a co-op last fall and they have now become our extended family. We meet Mondays in mornings til noonish. We use The Story of the World and do lots of the craft/activites that are more fun for a bigger group- we have 5 moms and 20 kids. We also do a really great art section and do show and tell and have friendship days. We've also adopted a school in Vietnam we write back and forth with kids and we do fundraising for them.

We plan to take it year by year as far as keeping them at home and I just enjoy the time with them and love that look when they finally understand something. It is perfect for us but I do believe it's not for everyone. Glad to see other OLSers on here that homeschool.
  Old  January 24th, 2007, 6:29pm     #24
indyskyyyy
Senior Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksea_lady
I'm afraid to ask this one.... What about the dreaded socialization?? I have also been told that he will need to learn to sit still, stand in line, raise his hand, and other (dumb) things that were necessary. hmm I never remember to raise my hand now.... Do I also have to teach him to eat off a tray??? LOL
Socialization............Is up to you and where you want your child to socialize. Mine son met all his friends at church and has remained friends all his growing up years.

My daughter met all her friends and boyfriend at the auction that we go to every Friday and Saturday night.

You can also make playdates and sometimes depending on where you live they have homeschool groups you can join. We didn't have a group to join so that wasn't an option for us. So we made other arrangements for them to socialize. You can also join 4-H, go to the library for reading group time and other activities, karate which my son loved.

If you live in town with lots of neighbors then they will have the neighborhood friends. We lived in the country where it's mostly older people so again that wasn't an option for my children.

As for the rest you can teach him what you want him to do. Mine took breaks a lot when they were younger because they didn't want to sit still long. I never taught them to stand in line, raise their hands or to eat off a tray. They ate off paper plates and still eat off paper plates!

Just remember you know your child better than anyone else and stop and think who has taught your child what they know so far? Right............YOU have!
  Old  January 24th, 2007, 6:31pm     #25
noey718
Senior Master Sweeper

Quote:
maybe if he is going to be a doctor you might have to teach him to eat off a tray, cause he might have to eat in the hospital cafeteria
  Old  January 24th, 2007, 6:34pm     #26
indyskyyyy
Senior Sweeper

Another thing I really like about homeschooling is if your child doesn't grasp something you can spend months if you have to until they finally grasp the concept as to where in public/private school if you don't grasp the concept to bad they move on to something else and then your child gets frustrated because they don't know how to do what they were being taught.
  Old  January 24th, 2007, 6:48pm     #27
Ron C
Master Sweeper

Quote:
indyskyyyy has some great ideas for you. I also know that the homeschooling program that we are going to go through has play days a couple times a month. We are also setting up play days with other kids he knows and will probably get him started in Cub Scoots and karate.

You stand in line with your kids all the time they will learn that, they will have to learn to sit still when you are working with them. That's another nice thing about homeschooling is that boys are more active and need to run around to burn off energy. When homeschooling you can give them a brake when ever they need it and the get back to work.

You might want to check with your state to see if they will fund preschool. I know our state will give you money for homeschooling preschool.
  Old  January 24th, 2007, 6:49pm     #28
TrinaWants2Win
Grand Master Sweeper

hi Ron . We home school Dallas.. not sure how much Help I can be. since Dallas is special needs and we dont order his things from reg home school places. But if I can be of help lmk.

Old  January 24th, 2007, 6:52pm     #29
Ron C
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixofus
We have four boys, 2,3,5, and 6.
How can you do 4 boys? You almost have your own school
  Old  January 24th, 2007, 6:59pm     #30
Ron C
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrinaWants2Win
hi Ron . We home school Dallas.. not sure how much Help I can be. since Dallas is special needs and we dont order his things from reg home school places. But if I can be of help lmk.
That would be great. I am sure we have some special needs homeschoolers out there. Thank you!