Old  January 22nd, 2007, 9:24pm     #1
Ron C
Master Sweeper

Homeschooling support thread
I want to start a Homeschooling support thread for people on OLS.

We (my wife really, she has the brains and patience) have just started homeschooling our 6 year old son. She has spent hours on line looking up different products, resources, and information on line.

I know that there are a lot of homeschool parents on OLS and I am wondering if any of you would be interested in shearing your experiences and knowledge with some of us new bees?

Like:

Where are the best places to buy supplies?

Sharing ideaís on different projects that you have done that worked and didnít

What companies do the best job with there educational materials

Discounts or sales from certain venders

Helping out if people are having troubles teaching a subject to there child. Offer suggestions on a different styles to try or products that may have helped you

Special projects that you have done that you felt were particularly fun and educational

Any experiences good or bad from Homeschooling.

Any special funding for homeschooling.

What have you done to help keep your kids around other kids (socializing?)

Why did you decide to homeschool?

Basically question that might come up when homeschooling or questions from people thinking about homeschooling. I would like anyone that is homeschooling or is a teacher to subscribe to this thread and help out when ever there is a question if you can.

Any other ideas would be welcome..
  Old  January 23rd, 2007, 10:59pm     #2
rocksea_lady
Senior Master Sweeper

I will be stalking this thread.... I have a 4 year old that can read and add & subtract single digit numbers. We have started watching reading rainbow, between the lions and cyberchase. I try to turn shows into lessons. If they are measuring things on a show we get out the measuring cups and talk fractions. I am really at a loss when it comes to teaching tools because he doesn't have the fine motor skills to hold a pen and make letters. The lessons have to be visual or on the computer. I really don't want to homeschool but we can't begin to afford private school and there is a policy to not move any children ahead until 4th grade. Well he is already doing 2nd grade work. How do we hold him back for the next 5 years. That just seems mean.

I give your wife a lot of credit!!
  Old  January 23rd, 2007, 11:10pm     #3
indyskyyyy
Senior Sweeper

I've homeschooled for 11 years. I've always mixed and matched curriculum to fit my children's need at the time.

My son has finished and is out on his own now and has his own business. We started homeschooling him when he was in 6th grade when he begged us not to send him back to private school because he hated private school and it was no way that my husband nor I was sending him to public school here. The public school here is terrible.

My daughter is in her 11th year of homeschooling. She has been homeschooled since 1st grade.

I've never regretted the decision to homeschool. The first thing everyone wants to comment is they won't have a social life. Neither of my kids lacked socialization they have very active social lives and always have.
  Old  January 23rd, 2007, 11:13pm     #4
rdhill007
Master Sweeper

Where are the best places to buy supplies? www.Homeschoolsupercenter.com or Barnes and Noble--homeschool parents are considered teachers and they are entitled to the teacher discounts and promotions

What companies do the best job with there educational materials-Depends if religious-Alpha Omega--Regular school books, you have to play hit and miss

Discounts or sales from certain venders --above website has free shipping in June and July

Helping out if people are having troubles teaching a subject to there child. Offer suggestions on a different styles to try or products that may have helped you--Most areas have a homeschool club and I would type in "your state Homeschool Groups"

Special projects that you have done that you felt were particularly fun and educational--Art museums, science museums, history battlefields

Any experiences good or bad from Homeschooling.--People who are "institutionalized " as I put it, do not realize that most kids excel at homeschooling

Any special funding for homeschooling.--Depends on your state

What have you done to help keep your kids around other kids (socializing?)--Regular things like little league, soccer league, YMCA has programs, homeschool groups have activities Oh, there are homeschool cruises, I will look up the link when I get a chance.

Why did you decide to homeschool? My son was bored in school, the violence rate in the school is bad, my son was assaulted and administration did nothing, and off the record, his 3rd grade teacher told me that the school was keeping him back from his potential

Basically question that might come up when homeschooling or questions from people thinking about homeschooling. I would like anyone that is homeschooling or is a teacher to subscribe to this thread and help out when ever there is a question if you can.

Any other ideas would be welcome.

You know your child the best.
You can purchase standardized tests online
  Old  January 23rd, 2007, 11:19pm     #5
indyskyyyy
Senior Sweeper

I purchase my homeschool supplies at the same place rdhill posted.

I mix and match my curriculum from there instead of purchasing their complete set of curriculums.
  Old  January 24th, 2007, 12:44am     #6
Ron C
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdhill007
Where are the best places to buy supplies? www.Homeschoolsupercenter.com or Barnes and Noble--homeschool parents are considered teachers and they are entitled to the teacher discounts and promotions

What companies do the best job with there educational materials-Depends if religious-Alpha Omega--Regular school books, you have to play hit and miss

Discounts or sales from certain venders --above website has free shipping in June and July

Helping out if people are having troubles teaching a subject to there child. Offer suggestions on a different styles to try or products that may have helped you--Most areas have a homeschool club and I would type in "your state Homeschool Groups"

Special projects that you have done that you felt were particularly fun and educational--Art museums, science museums, history battlefields

Any experiences good or bad from Homeschooling.--People who are "institutionalized " as I put it, do not realize that most kids excel at homeschooling

Any special funding for homeschooling.--Depends on your state

What have you done to help keep your kids around other kids (socializing?)--Regular things like little league, soccer league, YMCA has programs, homeschool groups have activities Oh, there are homeschool cruises, I will look up the link when I get a chance.

Why did you decide to homeschool? My son was bored in school, the violence rate in the school is bad, my son was assaulted and administration did nothing, and off the record, his 3rd grade teacher told me that the school was keeping him back from his potential

Any other ideas would be welcome.

You know your child the best.
You can purchase standardized tests online
Some great information here, I didn't realize that we could get the teacher discount for homeschooling.

Our state does fund homeschooling programs. We can get reimbursed anywhere from $1,200 to $1,600 a year for supplies. The different programs offer different benefits. I know the program that offers lest amount of money will help to buy a computer and it all seems to even out in the end. They will also reimburse us for a gym membership for him.

We also felt like our son was being held back. We had the school test him and he tested in the 3rd grade level for most subjects and he was in 1st grade. Kindergarten was terrible. They were teaching the kids the alphabet and how to count to 10. Our son was reading and counting to 100 already. He was board and didn't want to pay attention to what the class was doing. They did put him in the multi age class this year (1st, 2nd, and 3rd graders) but the teacher really seemed to spend her time with the older kids and not much with the younger ones.
  Old  January 24th, 2007, 10:04am     #7
rocksea_lady
Senior Master Sweeper

So if you don't mind how did you guys get started? What books are helpful? How do you decide on teaching styles and curriculum? ETC. If you would like to PM me feel free... Don't want to thread steal....
  Old  January 24th, 2007, 10:13am     #8
indyskyyyy
Senior Sweeper

This is a good place to start if you want to homeschool. It will tell the laws of your state regarding homeschooling.

http://www.hslda.org/laws/default.asp
  Old  January 24th, 2007, 10:25am     #9
rdhill007
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksea_lady
So if you don't mind how did you guys get started? What books are helpful? How do you decide on teaching styles and curriculum? ETC. If you would like to PM me feel free... Don't want to thread steal....

I base my teaching style on what my son wants to learn. He has hinted at medical so next year I am going to go to B&N to get basic medical books for his science. Math is just basic, buy a book for now. Reading is whatever you choose. My son goes to plays with his grandmother and great-grandmother, so Shakespeare is what he is into now. He gets it, I don't, so his grandmother and great-grandmother help in that aspect when he goes there once or twice a month(his father passed away). History is the an open field also. You can concentrate on U.S. history, Ancient History, ect. PBS has dvd's that you can purchase on the above. Spelling can be just opening a dictionary and going from there or purchasing a "grade " book online or at a book store. Rosetta Stone has an excellent foreign language software program, pricey but worth it.

My son has already completed the 6th grade, textbook wise. I have a basic "what every 6th grader needs to know book " for him now. When he finishes that and the standardized test in March, and he gets back from Italy in April, we will start going on "field trips " to Philly once a week to the various museums and centers.
  Old  January 24th, 2007, 10:28am     #10
rocksea_lady
Senior Master Sweeper

Re state testing?? Do we have to pay to have the testing done or does the state provide it? My son just had some testing done to get into a program at William & Mary and it cost $75. Since it is for this program it is not a standard test. Do I need to buy the Stanford test? Can I administer it at home?
  Old  January 24th, 2007, 10:41am     #11
rdhill007
Master Sweeper

State testing is up to the state. In New Jersey, I pay for it. They run $75 and I give him the test here, at home. In other states where homeschooling is more "enforced ", the state handles the testing.

BTW, New Jersey is one of the easiest states to homeschool in because I only have to show them the textbooks if I am taken to court to prove that he is getting the "Academic Equivelent " to what is being taught in the public school. The school does not have the right, nor does the State have the right to tell me how to teach my child, what textbooks to use, ect. The politicians tried to change the laws here a few years ago and they were shot down. Apparently, 15%+ of all students in New Jersey are homeschooled. I did not realize that it was that high. I know that we have over 2,500 homeschooled students in my county alone and we have less than 20,000 public school students countywide.

I give him the standardized test so I can make sure that I am doing my job. He has yet to score under a 97 in any aspect of the test.
  Old  January 24th, 2007, 10:41am     #12
indyskyyyy
Senior Sweeper

Quote:
I base my teaching style on what my son wants to learn.
That's the way I do also.

You know your child the best and go with things that are interesting to your child.

When my son was starting out he loved tractors so I went to the John Deere Dealership and got every free publication they had for my son to read for reading.

My daughter loved the Babysitter Club books and I purchased those for her reading. Now that she is older she is into a lot of Literature and plays that she enjoys reading. Right now she is reading "Our Town".

History ranged from a variety of topics one year it was a book on all the Presidents, one year it was our state history, one year we did nothing but the Constitution.

As far as testing I never test mine because I don't like timed test and never thought timed test did anything for me in school but put pressure on me and set me up for failure.
  Old  January 24th, 2007, 1:44pm     #13
Ron C
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksea_lady
This is what the thread is for. Any question you have I am sure others have and can benefit from the answers.

Please keep all questions and answers in this thread so everyone can benefit from them and keep the thread going.

Steal the thread please!
  Old  January 24th, 2007, 2:34pm     #14
venus_de_milo
Grand Master Sweeper

We have used the Sonlight Curriculum for both of my girls and we like it pretty well. We don't do any standardized testing, it is not required in our state and I haven't felt the need for it as of yet.
  Old  January 24th, 2007, 2:57pm     #15
Ron C
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyskyyyy
That's the way I do also.

You know your child the best and go with things that are interesting to your child.

When my son was starting out he loved tractors so I went to the John Deere Dealership and got every free publication they had for my son to read for reading.

My daughter loved the Babysitter Club books and I purchased those for her reading. Now that she is older she is into a lot of Literature and plays that she enjoys reading. Right now she is reading "Our Town".

History ranged from a variety of topics one year it was a book on all the Presidents, one year it was our state history, one year we did nothing but the Constitution.

As far as testing I never test mine because I don't like timed test and never thought timed test did anything for me in school but put pressure on me and set me up for failure.
This is one reason why I think homeschooling is so much better for teaching your kids. You can teach your child using topics that they are interested in. Children do so much better learning when you can teach them using a subjected they are interested at a speed that they learn best.