Old  February 5th, 2006, 2:33pm     #61
kdkdkd is offline
kdkdkd
Senior Master Sweeper
 
kdkdkd's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 9,200
Location: trying to find a way back home
thanks, I did some googling and found this page http://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bfinfo/biting.html
it seems the teething is most likely the cause of this bad behavior. I will try cooling his gums and keep at it with the sippy cup.
Reply With Quote
  Old  February 6th, 2006, 10:14am     #62
cakegirl79 is offline
cakegirl79
Master Sweeper
 
cakegirl79's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 4,256
Location: in the middle of the desert, New Mexico
something I did with DS#1 was I would gently flik his mouth when he bit me, it only took a couple of times for him to stop. You might look into getting some teething tablets, I've heard they're much more effective than orajel to relieve baby's pain.

Reply With Quote
  Old  February 7th, 2006, 5:13am     #63
kelpy14 is offline
kelpy14
Master Sweeper
 
kelpy14's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 2,316
Location: Viking fan lost in Packer country
Jesslag (or anyone else with this issue):

Did they give your baby Zantec for his acid reflux? I brought Kaden to the pediatrician today because I suspected acid reflux. Over the past two weeks, I have noticed that he has had trouble feeding and it has gotten progressively worse. At first he was just fussing toward the end of the feeding and now he arches his back, coughs, is extremely fussy, etc. at the end of his feeding. He will take the first 1/2 of his bottle just fine but gettnig him to take the last half is horrible. Pediatrician put him on Zantec today. My question to you is if they put your son on it too. If they did, how are you giving it to him? They told me to try to give it to him 1/2 hour before he eats and just to give it to him straight (without mixing it in the milk). I did that and when he ate about 1/2 hour later, he barely had anything and screamed the entire way through. To top it off, some of his earlier tests came back and he may be lactose intolerant. So on top of the Zantec, I also had to switch him to soy formula. He had some tests while he was still in the hospital and it showed that his adrenal gland may not have been working properly. They reran this test a couple of weeks ago and the adrenal gland is fine, but his milk sugars came back high. However, he isn't showing any other signs of being lactose intolerant. The dr said he definately has acid reflux, but normally if he is lactose intolerant, the baby won't gain weight and he doesn't thrive. However, Kaden is 9 lbs 7 oz, which means he has gained 3 lbs since Jan 6. The dr said he would not have even suspected lactose intolerance had they not run the test. He is consulting with another dr but in the mean time I am supposed to be giving him the soy formula. He was getting 1/2 breast milk, 1/2 Enfamil Gentlease formula, but dr said to discontinue that immediately and switch to soy. He has had 3 feedings of that and seems to be taking it OK. OK - I am rambling at 4 am. I was just wondering how you gave him his acid reflux meds, if they put him on them. Did you mix it with anything or did you just give it to him straight?

Also - for everyone else - does anyone know if the hospitals or anything take breast milk? If Kaden is lactose intolerant, I have apprx 24 bags of frozen breastmilk in the freezer and I would feel horrible just throwing all of that away, if I can't use it anymore. I was just wondering if anyone had ever heard of any hospital or service that would take the milk.

With hurricanes, tornados, fires out of control, mud slides, flooding, severe thunderstorms tearing up the country from one end to another, and with the threat of bird flu and terrorist attacks, "Are we sure this is a good time to take God out of the Pledge of Allegiance?" ---Jay Leno
Reply With Quote
  Old  February 7th, 2006, 9:37am     #64
LuckyBlueShoe is offline
LuckyBlueShoe
Senior Sweeper
 
LuckyBlueShoe's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 511
Location: Florida
kelleekarmin -

Did the problem start when you introduced the formula? They couldn't start you off with Mylicon?

I'm no doc but I breast fed both my girls and the couple times my DH fed them enfamil or that other stuff from the hospital it wasn't good. They were super gassy and broke out with a weird rash. I personally don't think he's lactose intolerant he's probably just having a reaction to formula because all the stuff they put in it. I read that a LOT of breast fed babies react weird when they introduced to certain formulas. I don't think doctors realize how much the baby formulas of today conflict with breast milk and how it effects the baby. Zantec (any drug) is a serious drug to get a baby on without knowing what the true problem is.

When my DH was out of breast milk (I pumped everyday at work but it wasn't always enough) he would give them Carnation Good/Healthy start formula. It's a pretty simple formula but as the nutrients he needs. I also gave them vitamin supplements.

I think you should continue giving him breast milk if you can. Hopefully you can find a formula that he can digest with no problem. Soy milk makes some nasty poop.

You still have to consult with the doctors but it's most likely a problem with the formula/breast milk mix and not the baby.

Thank you to all the voters
Reply With Quote
  Old  February 7th, 2006, 9:53am     #65
bearbaby_26 is offline
bearbaby_26
Senior Master Sweeper
 
bearbaby_26's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,477
Location: Ohio, but longing for Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleekarmin
Jesslag (or anyone else with this issue):

Did they give your baby Zantec for his acid reflux? I brought Kaden to the pediatrician today because I suspected acid reflux. Over the past two weeks, I have noticed that he has had trouble feeding and it has gotten progressively worse. At first he was just fussing toward the end of the feeding and now he arches his back, coughs, is extremely fussy, etc. at the end of his feeding. He will take the first 1/2 of his bottle just fine but gettnig him to take the last half is horrible. Pediatrician put him on Zantec today. My question to you is if they put your son on it too. If they did, how are you giving it to him? They told me to try to give it to him 1/2 hour before he eats and just to give it to him straight (without mixing it in the milk). I did that and when he ate about 1/2 hour later, he barely had anything and screamed the entire way through. To top it off, some of his earlier tests came back and he may be lactose intolerant. So on top of the Zantec, I also had to switch him to soy formula. He had some tests while he was still in the hospital and it showed that his adrenal gland may not have been working properly. They reran this test a couple of weeks ago and the adrenal gland is fine, but his milk sugars came back high. However, he isn't showing any other signs of being lactose intolerant. The dr said he definately has acid reflux, but normally if he is lactose intolerant, the baby won't gain weight and he doesn't thrive. However, Kaden is 9 lbs 7 oz, which means he has gained 3 lbs since Jan 6. The dr said he would not have even suspected lactose intolerance had they not run the test. He is consulting with another dr but in the mean time I am supposed to be giving him the soy formula. He was getting 1/2 breast milk, 1/2 Enfamil Gentlease formula, but dr said to discontinue that immediately and switch to soy. He has had 3 feedings of that and seems to be taking it OK. OK - I am rambling at 4 am. I was just wondering how you gave him his acid reflux meds, if they put him on them. Did you mix it with anything or did you just give it to him straight?

Also - for everyone else - does anyone know if the hospitals or anything take breast milk? If Kaden is lactose intolerant, I have apprx 24 bags of frozen breastmilk in the freezer and I would feel horrible just throwing all of that away, if I can't use it anymore. I was just wondering if anyone had ever heard of any hospital or service that would take the milk.
I breastfeed my son and know that a lot of times when he has gas, its something I ate. I can't drink milk or eat a lot of veggies (especially salads) or Liam gets really gassy. Have you tried eliminating things from your diet? Once I cut out milk and most veggies (other than starchy ones like potatoes), his gas and acid reflux went away.
Reply With Quote
  Old  February 7th, 2006, 10:03am     #66
kelpy14 is offline
kelpy14
Master Sweeper
 
kelpy14's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 2,316
Location: Viking fan lost in Packer country
Thanks for the replies. I don't think that it is anything I am eating because the symptoms were happening with EVERY feed and I, obviously, was not eating the same thing every time I ate. I also don't think that it is the formula. The blood was taken for the tests before I started him with a formula supplement and the milk sugars were high.

Based on the symptoms that he has and everything I have read, I truly believe that he has acid reflux. As I have researched it, I have found that acid reflux can affect up to 50% of babies so it is not like it is uncommon.

With hurricanes, tornados, fires out of control, mud slides, flooding, severe thunderstorms tearing up the country from one end to another, and with the threat of bird flu and terrorist attacks, "Are we sure this is a good time to take God out of the Pledge of Allegiance?" ---Jay Leno
Reply With Quote
  Old  February 7th, 2006, 1:49pm     #67
jesslag is offline
jesslag
Grand Master Sweeper
 
jesslag's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 14,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleekarmin
Thanks for the replies. I don't think that it is anything I am eating because the symptoms were happening with EVERY feed and I, obviously, was not eating the same thing every time I ate. I also don't think that it is the formula. The blood was taken for the tests before I started him with a formula supplement and the milk sugars were high.

Based on the symptoms that he has and everything I have read, I truly believe that he has acid reflux. As I have researched it, I have found that acid reflux can affect up to 50% of babies so it is not like it is uncommon.
yes, your baby has the classic symptoms of acid reflux.Bruno has very mild rreflux so they didn't prescribe anything to me. My ped told me to mix a liuttle rice cereal in with his formula to make it a little thicker and it has helped immensely. I found this: Enfamil A.R. Lipil. It has the rice starch mixed in already. He doesn't cry the whole time when he eats anymore and he no longer projectile vomits.Try mixing some cereal in the bottle like 1-2 tsp for 4 oz of formula. I would also try some Mylicon. He could have some gas bubbles on top of it all. Also, remember it takes a young baby at least 2 weeks to get used to a change in formula.If he is lactose intolerant then the soy will REALLY help.My dh is lactose intolerant and if he eats dairy he has HORRIBLE stomach pains so maybe a formula change will be all you need to do and his reflux may go away. I hope he gets to feeling better soon and you hang in there. Hope this helps.

Even the smallest envelope is heavy for an elf.
Reply With Quote
  Old  February 7th, 2006, 3:00pm     #68
kelpy14 is offline
kelpy14
Master Sweeper
 
kelpy14's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 2,316
Location: Viking fan lost in Packer country
Thanks. The doctor just called and he is NOT lactose intolerant. He does, however, have the acid reflux. I have already used the cereal off and on as my mom gave me the heads up on that solution. I try to only do that at night and I give him just a littel - he probably doesn't even know it. I am going back to the breast milk, Gentlease mixture. The doctor said that would be fine. He said that he doesn't think that it is anything he is eating.

Thanks again for everyone's advice.

With hurricanes, tornados, fires out of control, mud slides, flooding, severe thunderstorms tearing up the country from one end to another, and with the threat of bird flu and terrorist attacks, "Are we sure this is a good time to take God out of the Pledge of Allegiance?" ---Jay Leno
Reply With Quote
  Old  February 8th, 2006, 3:56pm     #69
jesslag is offline
jesslag
Grand Master Sweeper
 
jesslag's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 14,572
I was gonna ask if that was the Ocean Wonders bouncer the other day...Rocco absolutely looooved it when he was a baby and now Bruno is addicted.

Even the smallest envelope is heavy for an elf.
Reply With Quote
  Old  February 9th, 2006, 2:37pm     #70
tigress2b is offline
tigress2b
Senior Master Sweeper
 
tigress2b's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 9,433
Location: west of chi-town
Question: Pack and plays Should I get one with the changer and the bassinet? Do you really need one with all the mobiles and electronics attached? seems a bit over the top
thanks!
Reply With Quote
  Old  February 9th, 2006, 9:45pm     #71
kelpy14 is offline
kelpy14
Master Sweeper
 
kelpy14's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 2,316
Location: Viking fan lost in Packer country
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigress2b
Question: Pack and plays Should I get one with the changer and the bassinet? Do you really need one with all the mobiles and electronics attached? seems a bit over the top
thanks!
Ours has the changing thing and the insert for the bassinet. I don't use it to change him - I will go all the way upstairs to use his changing table. it is just too low for me and hurts my back. We don't have the musical thingy attached so I don't have an opinion on that. We mainly use it in our finished basement and that is where Kaden sleeps when we are down there watching TV on the big screen.

With hurricanes, tornados, fires out of control, mud slides, flooding, severe thunderstorms tearing up the country from one end to another, and with the threat of bird flu and terrorist attacks, "Are we sure this is a good time to take God out of the Pledge of Allegiance?" ---Jay Leno
Reply With Quote
  Old  February 9th, 2006, 10:13pm     #72
tigress2b is offline
tigress2b
Senior Master Sweeper
 
tigress2b's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 9,433
Location: west of chi-town
thanks kelleeK! Im short so bending down isnt an issue And thats the same place I was planning on using ours in the living room.
Reply With Quote
  Old  February 9th, 2006, 10:45pm     #73
jesslag is offline
jesslag
Grand Master Sweeper
 
jesslag's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 14,572
My pack and play doesn't have any mobiles or anyting on it. None of my kids really spent too much time in them when they were really little. I used it for a play pen when they got older or to sleep in if we went to someone else's house. I used mine like this and I loved it. I put the middle part on and then had the changing table part to one side. I then put all the supplies I would need, diapers, vaseling, rubbing alcohol, Q tips, cotton balls, baby towels and washcloths, burp cloths, wipes, a few changes of clothes and reciving blankets in the changing table part. I would change them on the side opposite of the changing table. I loved that. Also I think that actual changing tables are a waste of money for me. I have no time to run to the nursery every time I have to change a diaper. I jsut have a changing pad and diapers and wipes in the play room and the family room so I can pull it out when needed. Hope this helps.

Even the smallest envelope is heavy for an elf.
Reply With Quote
  Old  February 9th, 2006, 10:48pm     #74
jesslag is offline
jesslag
Grand Master Sweeper
 
jesslag's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 14,572
So, today was Bruno's 2 month appointment. He weighs 15!!!! lbs now. What a chunky monkey. My doc couldn't believe it. He also got his shots and was pisssssed off and has been cranky all day. I take him back in two months. If he keeps gaining weight like this I will need a forklift to get him to his next appt. lol.

Even the smallest envelope is heavy for an elf.
Reply With Quote
  Old  February 10th, 2006, 4:45am     #75
kelpy14 is offline
kelpy14
Master Sweeper
 
kelpy14's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 2,316
Location: Viking fan lost in Packer country
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesslag
If he keeps gaining weight like this I will need a forklift to get him to his next appt. lol.
That's funny.

Well, our long week continues. STarting at midnight yesterday, Kaden would not sleep longer than 30 minutes without waking up and screaming. He would have this moaning, groaning cry with screams in it like he was in pain. I slept for maybe 2 hours last night. I called the pediatrician right away in the morning and brought him in. He also didn't have a poopy diaper since Tuesday. Dr. was worried that he either had a blockage in his bowel or possibly that the small bowel was telescoping into the large bowel, which apparently happens in babies sometimes. We gave him until noon yesterday to get his crap together (literally) and he didn't get better. I then had to take him to Children's Hospital for a barium enema to see what was going on down there. The doctor said he was full of poop ( OK - that was funny or maybe it is just funny because it is 3:30 am). They gave him the enema and also made him drink stuff to show his esphagus, stomach and small bowel. Everything look normal - no blockages and no kinks or anything. He then proceeded to fill and poop through 2 diapers in about 5 minutes. He is still fussy but nothing like compared to before the enema. The doctor called about 9 pm tonight to check on him and said that now he thinks the likely culprit was the soy milk that we put him on for about 12 hours earlier this week. He told us to put dark Karo syrup in his bottle 2 x per day. We already did this earlier tonight adn this last diaper change he had a tiny bit of poop in it. So we will see how he does today. You can just tell that he is hurting and it breaks my heart into a million peices.

I also learned that right around this time in a baby, they realize that they can control their rectal muscles and can control to either hold it in or poop. Dr said that many times around this time they will have a baby that gets really full and needs an enema. The baby just won't relax that muscle to poop and will just get full. That might have also been the case with Kaden. Did you all know about the dark Karo syrup trick? I thought the dr was crazy so I called my mom. My mom said that this trick has been around so long that my grandma taught it to her when I was a baby. Apparently a tsp of syrup in the bottle 2x per day will help them become more regular if they are having problems in that department.

I am glad that he had the enema because now at least we know that everything is fine with all of those areas and we don't have to worry that there is a hole or kink or anything else going on. My hubby just woke me up to take care of him. My hubby let me sleep earlier and I got a solid 5 hours - which feels like heaven right now!

With hurricanes, tornados, fires out of control, mud slides, flooding, severe thunderstorms tearing up the country from one end to another, and with the threat of bird flu and terrorist attacks, "Are we sure this is a good time to take God out of the Pledge of Allegiance?" ---Jay Leno
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:58pm.