Old  June 3rd, 2017, 4:48pm     #31
coljim
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by elittle2004 View Post
Eprize is basically impossible to win from anymore...I honestly believe this site and/or its members are being blacklisted. I enter my sweeps with the Opera browser and some sweeps aren't compatible with some sweeps, so I then use Firefox instead. I think there is something fishy going on because I used to win one prize per week (or more) from Eprize in 2007, 2008 and most of 2009...now I am lucky if I win one prize per year from them or from any other company. All of my bigger wins in the past few years have came from local tv and radio stations. I don't block referrer....but maybe I should...who knows if it will even make a difference or not. Still to this very date, I have yet to win a HOF prize since I started on OLS, if a sweepstakes with a daily entry last months, the odds of anyone winning from OLS is basically nothing....what happened to all of the sweeps? At one time OLS had over 8,000 active sweeps. There is sweepstakes out there, people just need to submit them to OLS...I myself submitted several to OLS in the past week or so.
I won from them a couple of times last year. They are now HELLO WORLD. They were the JA on my Kentucky Derby win. Wins are down here too but I think that is because I only enter for what I can use.

My Wins
  Old  June 3rd, 2017, 4:55pm     #32
blueshield
Senior Sweeper

So a number of things. Roboform, I've never used it because it's super easy to tell if someone is using it because you just generate an invisible to the user area which roboform tries to fill. Many sweepstakes either list that they don't allow the use of auto-entry or probably have the filter even if they don't mention it. I'll support what someone was saying that the companies don't care what website your from it's just the market condition and percentage of chance to win has changed.

I haven't been doing sweepstakes that regularly in the past few years, but just looking at the big prizes area the number of prizes has dropped dramatically. That coupled with the pervasive use of Facebook, Twitter, etc to promote entry in order to get more entries changes the odds by a large margin. If you figure only 5% of entries into contests are by so called sweepers which seems about right and then factor in then overall odds of the contest we are right in the zone.

Starting sweepstakes now as a hobby would seem like a losing proposition unless you're just doing it for fun. Otherwise, your going to frustrated as a result. I think I calculated I was winning equaling to about $9.00 an hour in prizes some years ago. Not much, but it was fun and the variety of prizes kept it interesting. Now I doubt you'd be at $3 an hour in return for an investment of some small amount of money and the innumerable value of your free time. I'm not saying don't do sweepstakes, but I am saying adjust your expectations accordingly.
  Old  June 3rd, 2017, 9:21pm     #33
PiffyBitters
Senior Sweeper

I think disqualifying sweepers does go on, but generally only by smaller companies and some blog owners. It is easy for companies to look down your Facebook or Twitter and see if you have a bunch of contest-type posts. If you do, some will disqualify you on that basis alone. I just finished reading an article geared toward companies hosting giveaways. It advised companies what to look for when disqualifying participants on Facebook. It advised readers that people with no profile picture (or a picture of a pet, etc.) were likely cheaters. Well, I don't cheat, yet I have a picture of an animal on my profile. So there's a lot of companies getting bad information about sweepers.

I think 99% of the problem is that the glory days of Internet sweeping are over. Too many people know about it now, thanks to time and TV shows and social media. Contests that used to get a few hundred entries now get a few thousand entries. For tennis shoes.

I myself am moving to other hobbies that are more lucrative, but I will still sweep for the big prizes like cars and homes. No more than 15 minutes a day though. I'm not entering any more blogs, Facebook commenting giveaways, or other ridiculous entry requirements. Just the old fashioned forms or instant wins like the good old days. I'm tired of the invasion of my privacy and the audacity of bloggers and social media sponsors who don't respect my time.

Facebook recently asked me to send a photo clearly showing my face to prove that I am who I say I am. For a free social media account? So they can pass it on to the corrupt Feds so they can practice on their new facial recognition software that's coming to a street corner near you? No thanks.
  Old  June 4th, 2017, 9:26am     #34
cookiegirl123
Senior Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiffyBitters View Post
I think disqualifying sweepers does go on, but generally only by smaller companies and some blog owners. It is easy for companies to look down your Facebook or Twitter and see if you have a bunch of contest-type posts. If you do, some will disqualify you on that basis alone. I just finished reading an article geared toward companies hosting giveaways. It advised companies what to look for when disqualifying participants on Facebook. It advised readers that people with no profile picture (or a picture of a pet, etc.) were likely cheaters. Well, I don't cheat, yet I have a picture of an animal on my profile. So there's a lot of companies getting bad information about sweepers.

I think 99% of the problem is that the glory days of Internet sweeping are over. Too many people know about it now, thanks to time and TV shows and social media. Contests that used to get a few hundred entries now get a few thousand entries. For tennis shoes.

I myself am moving to other hobbies that are more lucrative, but I will still sweep for the big prizes like cars and homes. No more than 15 minutes a day though. I'm not entering any more blogs, Facebook commenting giveaways, or other ridiculous entry requirements. Just the old fashioned forms or instant wins like the good old days. I'm tired of the invasion of my privacy and the audacity of bloggers and social media sponsors who don't respect my time.

Facebook recently asked me to send a photo clearly showing my face to prove that I am who I say I am. For a free social media account? So they can pass it on to the corrupt Feds so they can practice on their new facial recognition software that's coming to a street corner near you? No thanks.

You made some excellent points and I totally agree with you. I think that the small companies or sites offering the sweeps as well as some blogs may disqualify you but I really can't believe that is the case with larger companies. I'm not someone who wins a lot (and maybe it's because I enter from here) but I won two trips last year. I had to turn one down because I was entering for the first prize and not the grand prize but I won anyway and could not go. I entered both of the contests directly from here, I didn't shazaam, I didn't copy and paste the address, I didn't put it in my bookmarks; I clicked on the link and I entered directly from OLS. Also, I used RoboForm and have a pop-up blocker on my computer.

Both of these wins were from major companies (I never enter blogs and I don't enter for small companies that I have never heard of anyway). The man that I spoke to from the trip that I could not take told me that they used random.org to choose my entry. He didn't mention anything about any referrals from a sweepstakes site. I'm not saying that it doesn't happen and that some people aren't disqualified. Who knows? Maybe I would have won 100 trips last year if I had hand typed my entry, entered from another site instead of this one and disabled my pop-up blocker. I just don't have the time in my life to do all of that stuff. I spend less than 30 minutes in the morning entering my sweeps before I go to work and that is all. Maybe that is the reason that I don't win instead.

Like you, I do not have my picture on my Facebook account either. I won't do it. I don't use Facebook for anything besides sweeping and checking the news. I don't see any reason why they would need to see my picture. I don't cheat, never have cheated, never even thought about cheating.
  Old  June 4th, 2017, 3:25pm     #35
bwanas
Master Sweeper

The word got out and more people enter= less big wins
  Old  June 4th, 2017, 8:34pm     #36
AJPeabody
Senior Sweeper

It's just a lot of entries.
Some sweeps list total entries. That number usually indicates that I can enter but unless I am one in 100,000 I'm not gonna win. Just sayin'

AJPeabody

If at first you don't succeed, avoid skydiving.
  Old  June 5th, 2017, 9:43am     #37
deborah62
Grand Master Sweeper

Just requested to join.

Quote:
Originally Posted by louiseb130 View Post
I belong to this FB group which posts Twitter sweeps every day:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1442788899310414/

What if the hokey pokey is what its all about?
  Old  September 11th, 2017, 6:01pm     #38
Brittni
Sweeper

Red face Newbie
I don't know about any of this because I am brand new to sweeping (I just started 2 weeks ago) but I've already won a hammock from Marlboro and a scentsy-like warmer with a bag of melts.

I use roboform and don't block anything

I'm enjoying my small wins and working hard trying for a bigger one!

I hope everything gets better for everyone!

Brittni
  Old  September 11th, 2017, 7:31pm     #39
coljim
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopey View Post
I remember going from freebies to reward programs to surveys and then to sweeping. It was like if one door closed another one opened, but what's really sad is that it doesn't look like another door is opening, at least not on the internet.

I know there are still surveys, but I got to burnt out on those and have no desire to go back.

Still really, really grateful for all that I've received over the years, especially when my kids were younger and I needed it the most.
Check out Class Action Suits

My Wins
  Old  September 11th, 2017, 7:43pm     #40
coljim
Grand Master Sweeper

I've been doing this for a long time. Things are slow and I actually thought about going back to snails. I'm slower than sin and can't finish my onlines. lol.. I use RoboForm, and I don't block referrer. I see wins on Facebook all the time from non-sweepers so the competition is there. That said I do not do creative presentations nor any thing that requires me to do more than five or so things. I don't do blogs either. I do OLS, two other sweeps newsletters, Facebook, Twitter and my favorite Texts. Instagram still boggles my mind so I'll do that later.
If I was looking for the place to be I would say Instagram because I know I'm not the only one who avoids it.
No, I do not think OLS members are being disqualified BTW.

My Wins
  Old  September 11th, 2017, 7:46pm     #41
Rokki
Grand Master Sweeper

I've always blocked referrer info and my wins have decreased dramatically. So I don't think that is it. Social media killed the good old sweeping days IMO
  Old  September 11th, 2017, 7:50pm     #42
Snowpuff
Master Sweeper

Unhappy Too much competition now
As someone said, the glory days of sweeping seem to be over. Too many people are entering...more all the time. So much effort entering, but hardly any wins anymore. I'll keep trying for a little longer, but it's discouraging now.
  Old  September 11th, 2017, 8:10pm     #43
jklkjklkj
Junior Sweeper

Diminishing wins
I think that it is just because there are so many ways to win. INcreASED ENTRIES.
For me, I don't have the time to enter all those different websites. So I enter from the website either one time or daily and I don't worry about the other ways to enter. You only need one to win.
  Old  September 11th, 2017, 8:13pm     #44
bomar97
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by coljim View Post
. I'm slower than sin and can't finish my onlines. lol.. I use RoboForm, and I don't block referrer.:
You mean I'm not the only slow one??? I use robo but it doesn't work as well on Mac but still helps... and there are plenty of days I don't do all my sweeps even though it's only maybe 100 a day max!

I only do a few FB and twitter.. and forget Instagram w/o cell service!

Earn cash back while shopping with ebates - my referral https://www.ebates.com/r/BOMER92
  Old  September 11th, 2017, 8:35pm     #45
minbari
Senior Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by elittle2004 View Post
I wonder if a AdBlocker dq's people also? I wonder if sponsors can even tell? I have been on a few sites and a banner will pop up telling me to turn off my adblocker. Maybe using RoboForm or a form filler dq's everyone also...perhaps that is why fewer of us win anymore...that would likely explain it since most users of OLS use RoboForm or some other autofill variant (I do).
I use an ad blocker too and wondered the same thing until I won a prize from one of the creative presentation magazine sweepstakes.