Old  February 14th, 2014, 9:28am     #1
Patty Reese
Sweeper

More information please.
I have never been to one of the sweepstakes conventions and would like more information. I figure it will cost me approximately $1000 to attend (registration, room, plane ticket, food, etc) and I am trying to figure out if it would be worth the money.
Would someone that goes to these conventions please let me know what you do and why you go. Thanks.
  Old  February 14th, 2014, 7:25pm     #2
caseycupcake
Grand Master Sweeper

I have been to 3 conventions so far. Each was different and I enjoyed them all. There are door prizes and informational and inspirational speakers. You get to meet fellow sweepers.

Sis and I like going to the conventions. We spend an extra few days, make a real vacation out of it. Any chance we get to leave out zipcode, stay at a nice hotel and make a few friends is a great vacation for us. We are easy to please, I guess.

Will it be worth your spending $1000 to attend? That's up to you.
  Old  February 15th, 2014, 8:09am     #3
dcreed
Master Sweeper

The last convention I went to was the Atlanta one. They were giving away a car, but ended up giving away 3!!! What fun these conventions are. You get great information from speakers as well as other sweepers. You get to form lasting relationships as well. Sweepers from all over go. Try to find someone to share your room with to save, but go....I never go crazy buying stamps, etc for the contests but do one or two. Hope to see you there!!

Your judgment will not make the world a better place. Only love can do that. Only grace.
  Old  February 15th, 2014, 10:49pm     #4
SharminsMagic8
Senior Sweeper

I went to the one in Bloomington MN because it happened to be in my state that year and only a 20 minute drive so I didn't have the need to stay at the hotel. I was quite excited about it, but also a little in the dark, such as yourself. Unfortunately I ended up having a bad bronchial cough and was SO tired from taking medication. From the cough I lost a little bit of my voice so it wasn't a good time for me to "meet n greet". I'm quite shy anyway, and my sickness made it even harder to go up and introduce myself and make buddies. Do you have anyone else that would want to come with you?

I missed the Friday because I was working and didn't think it would matter. But WOW, hopefully on that first day they tell/teach/explain a lot, because I was clueless on Saturday.
There were so many different things going on, I was so confused and probably missed out on a lot. I did manage to drag myself to most of the Saturday session. Was somehow lucky and won 3 different times. A $50 Best Buy gift card, a $25 Target gift card and a nice table clock.

I'm interested in Orlando's this year because we are moving to Tampa in June. Orlando is only a 90 minute drive so I probably would drive back and forth again. HOWEVER, I bet staying at the hotel with everyone else would be an advantage too.

Hope a bit of this helps.
  Old  February 16th, 2014, 6:37am     #5
dcreed
Master Sweeper

Well when you get to Tampa get in touch, I am just a little south in the Largo area and have a little sweeps club!!

Its an easy drive to Orlando from Tampa, just on I-4. But I will stay over because I hate driving at night.

Just a note: Atlanta was 2 years ago and I won one of the post card stamps drawings. Just finished using them!!!

Your judgment will not make the world a better place. Only love can do that. Only grace.
  Old  February 19th, 2014, 12:17am     #6
vrl007
Sweeper

Patty not sure where you live but here is the link for the convention:
http://www.spf25orlando.com/

This year will be my 12th convention, I think :0) they are all great! Run by volunteers they all feature speakers, prizes, excitement and the best the local area has to offer. Of course the neatest thing is being in one giant ballroom with hundreds of winners that speak your language, the language of winning sweepstakes. That energy is amazing. Hope you can make it. The resort's double rooms at $99 per night are a bargain, the place is beautiful. Post if you have questions, I'll check back.
  Old  February 21st, 2014, 1:44pm     #7
Patty Reese
Sweeper

More information please
Thanks everyone for answering my post. I guess I was wondering how you enter for winning things and does it cost anything? Are there tables everywhere with displays? What about the speakers? I am 70 and I would be making the trip alone unless I can talk a couple family members in going along for the Florida trip. If so, I would still be alone at the convention. I don't mind going to places alone, just not sure what to expect. Thanks again.
  Old  February 21st, 2014, 6:21pm     #8
gacarol
Senior Master Sweeper

Patty, you may arrive alone, but you won't be alone for long. This will be my 12th convention. It is so much fun to meet people who share your hobby and who don't think you are crazy or just wasting your time. Sweepers know people DO WIN.

To answer your questions:

Part of your registration fee enters you into what I will call session giveaways. By registering and attending sessions you receive an entry to deposit at each session you attend. You must be present to win at these sessions. I believe there are 7 sessions so you have 7 chances to win just for attending.

There are optional entries that you may obtain through the shopper's service. You must be registered to enter these drawings which are held at the banquet. There is a limit on how many entries you may purchase. They are optional and you purchase only what you want to enter.

There is a 'Vendor' room where sweeping supplies, newsletters, or sweeping related items may be purchased. These vendors usually have raffles for prizes they are giving away and you purchase tickets for these raffle items. Again, totally optional. There are tables which display these items. The room is open at certain hours. Before sessions, at lunch, after sessions. Since these vendors are sweepers, they want attend sessions the hours the room is open are limited to allow them to enjoy the convention too.

Speakers, in the past, have shared information on many topics related to sweepstakes. We have had Judging Agency heads tell us many things about how sweepstakes are run and winners selected. Radio personalities have shared information on how stations run giveaways. Postal employees have told us how mail is processed, what to do to insure your entry gets to the judging agency. Sweepstakes winners have shared their win experiences and travels. Sweepstakes newsletter editors have given us a look into the future of sweepstakes as well as what works and does not work when entering.

Because this is such a dynamic hobby, even if a topic is repeated, there is so much new information, you come away a well informed sweeper which gives you an edge.

The energy and positive vibes you get from being around all these winners will energize you and give you the positive winner mindset to go home and enter! enter! enter! and WIN!

If you do bring family or a friend, be sure to purchase banquet tickets for them. After the banquet they'll probably want to start entering or offer to help you with your entries!

One more note, I am 71 and a couple of friends who attend each year are older. Hope you will join us. Look forward to meeting you in Orlando Patty.

Winners never quit and quitters never win!
  Old  February 21st, 2014, 9:45pm     #9
vrl007
Sweeper

gacarol great answer for her!
  Old  February 21st, 2014, 11:54pm     #10
SharminsMagic8
Senior Sweeper

Hey I've got another question. What exactly happens at the banquet?
  Old  February 22nd, 2014, 1:25am     #11
gacarol
Senior Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharminsMagic8 View Post
Hey I've got another question. What exactly happens at the banquet?
It varies from convention to convention. Some have entertainment along with the prize giveaways, some do just the prize giveaways. Sometimes there will be a speaker, again on a sweeps related topic, in place of entertainment. It is a night of fun, winning and inspiration.

The giveaways include the vendor raffle giveaways, the regular 'session' giveaways, and the optional, aka , the 'shopper service' giveaways. There is always a wonderful meal, and an unbelievable amount of energy in the room. If you could measure positive energy in a room, it would be off the chart.

You will see the hotel banquet staff in the room after they complete their duties standing in the back areas of the room taking everything in because it is such an unbelievable experience.

Even if you are not a winner at the banquet, you come away inspired.

I have to be honest here and say that I have not been a winner at the banquet. One of my sweepstakes friends enters all the raffles and comes away a BIG BIG winner. Other friends have won a year supply of stamps, postcards, and cash. This year, I'm sure one of us will win the car!

For me, it is not about the winning. I have lifelong friends who were contest convention attendees, and this is our reunion. I look forward to seeing them; renewing friendships made at prior sweepstakes conventions, meeting new lifelong friends; learning how to increase my chances of winning. If I win a prize - it is a bonus. It is a time to renew my sweeping energy and be inspired to keep entering.

That's just a little of what happens at the banquet!!!!

Winners never quit and quitters never win!
  Old  February 22nd, 2014, 5:35am     #12
dcreed
Master Sweeper

Carol;

What a great job you did answering Patty! I might not have won a prize but I have won many, many friends (like you!) and great information from all the conventions! I do not use the shopper service but buy my roll of stamps, etc and bring them with me. I also love the different envelopes that are sold for my mail ins!

Old  February 22nd, 2014, 11:35pm     #13
SharminsMagic8
Senior Sweeper

I'm a bit concerned with knowing what to do, how things work. Is that all explained at the banquet?
  Old  February 23rd, 2014, 6:18am     #14
dcreed
Master Sweeper

Follow the crowd!! You will be given a packet at registration. There will be a schedule in it.

Old  February 23rd, 2014, 12:08pm     #15
caseycupcake
Grand Master Sweeper

The banquet is held on the last night of the convention

Last edited by caseycupcake; February 24th, 2014 at 9:17am.