Old  January 20th, 2013, 8:03pm     #1
kbsocial
Grand Master Sweeper
Administrator
Queen Peep

Shopper Service Coming SOON!
We are finalizing the details for the Shopper Service and an email will be sent by the end of the month to all Registered Attendees. Identical to last year, you have to be a Registered Attendee to have access to the Shopper Service.

The 2013 Salt Lake City Sweepstakes Convention is shaping up to be a very successful event full of fun and prizes just like past Conventions.

We hope to see you all there so you don't miss out on the fun.

Robyn
  Old  January 20th, 2013, 8:09pm     #2
uclafan
Master Sweeper

Great to hear the Shopper Service will be up and running. Any word as far as whether raffles and/or drawings will be held due to the UT laws prohibiting such things?

Please use the link below, help me earn extras swagbucks when naming me as the referral and then search so your "Swag Bucks" will begin adding up too. http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/meuclafan
  Old  January 20th, 2013, 10:42pm     #3
kbsocial
Grand Master Sweeper
Administrator
Queen Peep

Quote:
Originally Posted by uclafan View Post
Great to hear the Shopper Service will be up and running. Any word as far as whether raffles and/or drawings will be held due to the UT laws prohibiting such things?
The Shopper Service is the drawing service.
  Old  January 21st, 2013, 3:33pm     #4
uclafan
Master Sweeper

KB, What I was referring to are the drawings held at sessions for all the donated and other merchandise. Do you remember the topic that came up shortly after Atlanta about Utah law with regard to raffles/drawings.

Please use the link below, help me earn extras swagbucks when naming me as the referral and then search so your "Swag Bucks" will begin adding up too. http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/meuclafan
  Old  January 21st, 2013, 4:51pm     #5
kbsocial
Grand Master Sweeper
Administrator
Queen Peep

Quote:
Originally Posted by uclafan View Post
KB, What I was referring to are the drawings held at sessions for all the donated and other merchandise. Do you remember the topic that came up shortly after Atlanta about Utah law with regard to raffles/drawings.
There is no issue with giving away donated items. All will proceed as has in past conventions
  Old  January 21st, 2013, 6:41pm     #6
SweepsAng
Master Sweeper

Very happy to hear this! It makes it so much easier!
  Old  January 23rd, 2013, 5:43pm     #7
BiloxiNative
Master Sweeper

I don't have any skin in the game, since I'm not able to go to the convention this year.

But I am completely confused by all of this.

Do they consider the items that are purchased through the Shopper Service (stamps, postcards, gift cards, etc) "donated" items? Whether they are brought to the convention by the attendee to enter into the raffles and obtain tickets for said raffles or they are purchased through the Shopper Service, I don't see how they can be construed as "donated items." They are not donated but rather "exchanged" - exchanged for a chance to win in that drawing.

Now I am not a lawyer nor do I claim to be an expert on the Utah laws concerning raffles, but from what I can read about them it seems that this activity is in clear violation of their statutes.

http://www.gambling-law-us.com/State-Laws/Utah/

Quote:
(6) "Lottery" means any scheme for the disposal or distribution of property by chance among persons who have paid or promised to pay any valuable consideration for the chance of obtaining property, or portion of it, or for any share or any interest in property, upon any agreement, understanding, or expectation that it is to be distributed or disposed of by lot or chance, whether called a lottery, raffle, or gift enterprise, or by whatever name it is known.
Now as far as the items that individuals and clubs donate for the drawings that take place after each session, I can see how that would probably be okay. The attendees have paid a fee to attend the convention and these drawings are just a part of that. They haven't specifically exchanged anything for the opportunity to participate in the drawings ONLY but rather to attend the entire convention. It might be splitting hairs, but I can see a way around those drawings.

But I just can't figure out how they will be able to do the Saturday night raffles without violating Utah law. Obviously I am incorrect, otherwise they wouldn't be doing it. If they can, I think that's grand! But I am really curious as to how they are able to do so.

Perhaps there's some type of loophole in the law that I'm just not picking up on.

Feel free to set me straight - inquiring minds want to know!
  Old  January 23rd, 2013, 7:30pm     #8
gacarol
Senior Master Sweeper

I have paid my registration fees to attend a gathering of like minded people to learn more about a hobby I participate in, not to win prizes. For the banquet, I will be 'donating' my shopper service items for a giveaway that is not required in order to attend. I am not purchasing any lottery tickets in hopes of winning cash or prizes. My understanding is the only thing missing from this convention will be the lottery ticket drawings. There were many more conventions that did not have 'lottery' ticket drawings, then have had this particular element.

I personally don't see how anything given away at the convention could be considered a 'lottery'.

I am just as excited about attending this convention as all the others.

Winners never quit and quitters never win!
  Old  January 25th, 2013, 9:23pm     #9
vrl007
Sweeper

biloxinative you are seeing this correctly.
All three must be and are present:
1. pay or give something of value
2. element of chance
3. expected prize of value
gacarol when you "donate" those stamps and cash to the shopper service, you can also donate/give your ticket stubs to someone else for them to win. That would be the only way you are involved in # 1 & 2 above. Of course most people don't 'fork over ' $$$ to have someone else win it
Donated gifts from clubs etc are not involved. clubs do not win a prize, #3 above; and those winning donated prizes did not usually donate the individual prizes drawn.
  Old  May 23rd, 2013, 12:21am     #10
reallycool31
Senior Sweeper

Reminder that Shopper Service is available until May 31 so get those entries in !