Old  February 23rd, 2014, 2:57pm     #16
SharminsMagic8
Senior Sweeper

OH.

Thanks for the info!

Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
  Old  February 23rd, 2014, 2:58pm     #17
gacarol
Senior Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharminsMagic8 View Post
I'm a bit concerned with knowing what to do, how things work. Is that all explained at the banquet?
Please don't be concerned about not knowing what to do. There will be many new bees, as they are called, and lots of repeat attendees to look after the new bees. The agenda/schedule of events will probably be online before the convention and as Denise said, you get a convention packet with a lot of information to guide you through the weekend. It is a lot to read, but very valuable and each attendee, new or returning should take the time to read it.

Each convention is a little different because the hosts have volunteered to hold the convention and put their own unique touches on the convention. These amazing volunteers work for 2 years putting together each event without compensation and expecting nothing in return except for each attendee to have the best possible time. They give up their personal time, which could be spent entering sweepstakes, to put these events together. Without them volunteering to do this, there would be NO convention.

Most of the time one or two people organize the event and at some point enlist their club members to help, if they have a club. Often, the hosts enlist their family and friends to help and they don't even enter sweepstakes. And every convention that I have attended has been very professionally run. Of course unexpected things come up and happen, but most times the attendees aren't even aware.

Your registration fee goes totally into the cost of the convention facilities, banquet costs and prizes. The hosts and volunteers are not paid. It is all done out of the love of the hobby.

The banquet is held on Saturday night and you basically just show up and have fun. There is a session on Sunday morning, and this year, there will be a Sunday afternoon session. Sunday is when the convention drum will be passed to the 2015 Boston Convention Hosts and the 2016 Convention site will be announced. It is never ending excitement!

If you have specific questions, please ask. Chances are someone else is wondering the same thing.

The schedule can be seen here: http://www.spf25orlando.com/Schedule.html

Last edited by gacarol; February 24th, 2014 at 1:10pm. Reason: add schedule link

Winners never quit and quitters never win!
  Old  February 23rd, 2014, 3:16pm     #18
ResourcePress
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcreed View Post
The last convention I went to was the Atlanta one. They were giving away a car, but ended up giving away 3!!! What fun these conventions are. You get great information from speakers as well as other sweepers. You get to form lasting relationships as well. Sweepers from all over go. Try to find someone to share your room with to save, but go....I never go crazy buying stamps, etc for the contests but do one or two. Hope to see you there!!
What fun that was to see THREE, count 'em THREE, cars given away. And I didn't even win one.

Atlanta was my first and only convention so far. Will be returning to convention in Orlando. I haven't tallied the cost but I'm sharing a hotel room this time, so that will save me some bucks.

I will extend my stay and see friends & relatives in the area too.

Hope you can make it this year!

Wishing & hoping & thinking & praying, planning & dreaming... and entering!
  Old  February 23rd, 2014, 4:06pm     #19
SharminsMagic8
Senior Sweeper

OH.

Thanks for the info!

Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
  Old  February 23rd, 2014, 8:43pm     #20
vrl007
Sweeper

Hey newbies, I'm on the convention committee and also on here to answer questions. I posted a good info thread about... 'thinking of coming to the convention' . Please read it and ask away. We'd love to see you in Florida this year!
  Old  February 24th, 2014, 1:05pm     #21
gacarol
Senior Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrl007 View Post
Hey newbies, I'm on the convention committee and also on here to answer questions. I posted a good info thread about... 'thinking of coming to the convention' . Please read it and ask away. We'd love to see you in Florida this year!
Here's link to great info: http://forums.online-sweepstakes.com....php?t=1187538

Old  February 24th, 2014, 2:34pm     #22
vrl007
Sweeper

thanks gacarol!
  Old  February 28th, 2014, 11:30am     #23
Patty Reese
Sweeper

More information please.
'gacarol' thank you soooooooooo much. Your posts were very helpful. Two more questions. How many postage stamps do you usually bring with you and I imagine they are used at the tables for free entries. Do you also bring address labels with you? The sweepstakes that you pay to enter, what do they usually cost and about how much do you suggest I bring for that?
Your posts have really gotten me seriously thinking of attending this convention. This will be the first time I have flown and gone on a long trip by myself. I am thinking I can do this and would enjoy it.............
  Old  February 28th, 2014, 10:27pm     #24
vrl007
Sweeper

Hello Patty,
I am on the committee and have been to 12 conventions. Here's some insight:
At the convention there are 3 types of drawings:
1. Convention FREE drawings. Your PAID registration gets you into drawings for dozens of wonderful prizes at each and every session. Hundreds of prizes will be awarded over the 4 days.
2. Convention raffles: OPTIONAL drawings for stamps, post cards, Gift Cards, CASH, a CAR etc. These are drawn and awarded at the banquet Sat night with many winners. Once you have sent in your paid registration (check, PayPal or Credit Card) you will get an email explaining all the various raffles and how you can enter them now, at the convention or a combination of both. In each category you can not enter more than 10 times. Only you know your budget and whether you want to gamble on raffle entries. Many sweepers enter to the max, many enter less, and some enter no raffles at all. If you do not do snail entries (and have no interest in raffles of stamps, stamped post cards or post card stamps) just bring cash and you'll be fine should you want to enter the rest.
3. Vendor Drawings: vendors will have both tickets for sale and some will have a free drawings. The prize to be won is on display on their table with tickets usually $1.

Don't worry about stickers. The convention will print up a batch for your use.
Feel free to post any more and all questions.
Remember 1. Get in your paid registration first 2. Reserve your beautiful resort room 3. Book transportation.
You'll have a blast and make new friends!
  Old  March 2nd, 2014, 1:24pm     #25
gacarol
Senior Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Reese View Post
'gacarol' thank you soooooooooo much. Your posts were very helpful. Two more questions. How many postage stamps do you usually bring with you and I imagine they are used at the tables for free entries. Do you also bring address labels with you? The sweepstakes that you pay to enter, what do they usually cost and about how much do you suggest I bring for that?
Your posts have really gotten me seriously thinking of attending this convention. This will be the first time I have flown and gone on a long trip by myself. I am thinking I can do this and would enjoy it.............

You are welcome Patty. What part of the country do you live in? You might be able to hook up at the airport with other sweepers who are attending from your area. There are attendees from just about every state, both women and men, all ages, all with a love of this hobby.

Hope you will join in the fun. Really looking forward to meeting you Patty. If you would like to PM (private message) me, just click on my name (gacarol) and send me a message. Would love to chat.

Carol

Old  March 10th, 2014, 3:24pm     #26
Patty Reese
Sweeper

More information please
Gacarol. Accepted your friend request and tried to send a PM but my PM is turned off. Tried to fix it, but think I need a college education. lol. I am heading to Disney Wednesday so I will try to get my grandson to change the settings after I get back.
I live near Columbus, Ohio. I am 70 years old and my husband passed away in December after 51 years of marriage. I am now in the process of trying to create a new life for my self. I have a great support group of family. I love to travel and I love to win things!!!!!!!! In December, I won 15 different sweeps from this site.
  Old  March 10th, 2014, 5:43pm     #27
gacarol
Senior Master Sweeper

Patty Reese,

Sorry to hear of the passing of your husband. Happy to hear you are trying to move forward.

Carol

Last edited by gacarol; March 12th, 2014 at 4:05pm.

Old  March 11th, 2014, 10:37pm     #28
Patty Reese
Sweeper

More information please
Thanks gacarol. I will email you as soon as I get back from Disney. Talked to my daughter-in-law and she might go to the sweepstakes with me. She's fine with being on her own. So we will see.