Closed Thread

Old  June 28th, 2006, 11:11am     #46
Xan
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lina8
Yes we had the same problem. The 11th is the day we could not get a good rate. They quoted me $265 for the room on the 11th. CRAZY!
Surely there will be more rooms added?? There are going to be tons of more people wanting to stay there and the rooms for the first night and last night are already taken? I went ahead and reserved for Sun night also, but if we don't get a good rate we'll probably go ahead and cancel it and just come home a day early.
  Old  June 28th, 2006, 11:40am     #47
tfacey
Senior Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xan
Surely there will be more rooms added?? There are going to be tons of more people wanting to stay there and the rooms for the first night and last night are already taken? I went ahead and reserved for Sun night also, but if we don't get a good rate we'll probably go ahead and cancel it and just come home a day early.
Its not that the rooms are taken - its that the block of rooms that they have with the discounted rates are already taken. You can get a room - just not at the convention rate.
  Old  June 28th, 2006, 11:42am     #48
Xan
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfacey
Its not that the rooms are taken - its that the block of rooms that they have with the discounted rates are already taken. You can get a room - just not at the convention rate.
yeah, I understood that. I just can't believe they're gone already.
  Old  June 28th, 2006, 12:46pm     #49
ked
Grand Master Sweeper
Senior Editor/Moderator

I got the Hyatt Dearborn to open up more rooms at $109 per night. You can book 6-6 thru 6-10 at that rate.
Hyatt reservations number is 800 233-1234.

Book your rooms now. This convention is highly popular.
  Old  June 28th, 2006, 12:57pm     #50
Xan
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ked
I got the Hyatt Dearborn to open up more rooms at $109 per night. You can book 6-6 thru 6-10 at that rate.
Hyatt reservations number is 800 233-1234.

Book your rooms now. This convention is highly popular.
Ked, you are AWESOME! I just called back up and they changed everything to the $109 rate.
  Old  June 28th, 2006, 1:33pm     #51
kbruson
Master Sweeper

Thanks for posting... I'm going to try to make it to the 2007 convention!

Good Luck to ALL!!
  Old  June 28th, 2006, 1:49pm     #52
inthesticks
Gone Camping

Cool
Ha! Ha! I booked my room at the Hyatt! I will arrive LATE on the 5th of June, through the 10th, at the $109 per night rate. This is for a standard room. I had to use a credit card to hold the room...but the reservations agent told me that my card would not be charged until day of arrival. How cool is that? DEARBORN, HERE I COME....!
  Old  June 28th, 2006, 2:02pm     #53
ignoramoose
Master Sweeper
Baby Momma

Just booked my room.

Guaranteed doubles or kings are now sold out...I have a request for a king in, but no guarantee that I will get that, I might be getting a double. Even with the rooms that ked got opened up, they are almost sold out at the convention rate.

Hurry and book!!
  Old  June 28th, 2006, 2:16pm     #54
inthesticks
Gone Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignoramoose
Just booked my room.

Guaranteed doubles or kings are now sold out...I have a request for a king in, but no guarantee that I will get that, I might be getting a double. Even with the rooms that ked got opened up, they are almost sold out at the convention rate.

Hurry and book!!

This is what I don't understand: obviously the Sweepstakes folk in Michigan negotiated with this Hyatt for the block of rooms for the National Sweeps Convention, right? If there is a limit of 800 people for this convention, shouldn't there be an equivalent amount of rooms for a certain rate? I realize there would not be 800 rooms blocked off, but geez...even at two persons per room, that is 400 rooms. Even if 100 or so people stay elsewhere, that would still leave about 300 rooms needed. Yes? Am I figuring this wrong? I wonder just how many rooms have been set aside for this convention, at the Hyatt?

And for many folks, the price of the rooms per night may be the difference between some attending the convention and some not. Wouldn't it be better if a couple of hotels were negotiated with for a special Sweeps rate during the convention? Another hotel nearby, but less expensive?
  Old  June 28th, 2006, 2:26pm     #55
katybug
Master Sweeper

I just booked a minute ago (I'm so excited - my first convention!) and no problem at all getting rate of $109 or double beds. Is it necessary to register (and pay) for the actual convention right away too?
  Old  June 28th, 2006, 2:32pm     #56
sweeps aku
Master Sweeper

Only 800 openings for the convention & over 200 people were registered by the end of this years convention! The one just held was full before last Nov. so this one will probably fill up even sooner!

LUCK & LOVE!
  Old  June 28th, 2006, 2:38pm     #57
ignoramoose
Master Sweeper
Baby Momma

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthesticks
This is what I don't understand: obviously the Sweepstakes folk in Michigan negotiated with this Hyatt for the block of rooms for the National Sweeps Convention, right? If there is a limit of 800 people for this convention, shouldn't there be an equivalent amount of rooms for a certain rate? I realize there would not be 800 rooms blocked off, but geez...even at two persons per room, that is 400 rooms. Even if 100 or so people stay elsewhere, that would still leave about 300 rooms needed. Yes? Am I figuring this wrong? I wonder just how many rooms have been set aside for this convention, at the Hyatt?

And for many folks, the price of the rooms per night may be the difference between some attending the convention and some not. Wouldn't it be better if a couple of hotels were negotiated with for a special Sweeps rate during the convention? Another hotel nearby, but less expensive?

You bring up good points, and hopefully that is what will happen (getting convention rates at nearby hotels) should this one fill up, which it will obviously do.

I don't have any answers, but I am interested if anyone else knows!
  Old  June 28th, 2006, 2:38pm     #58
pestkaj
Gone Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthesticks

I thought the same thing, why on earth would there be so few rooms available?? This is not boding well already. I am so glad I booked it now- I don't want to have to deal with BS if it is full later on. The hotel for this year did book up their rooms at the special rate- but not until like Sept or oct!
  Old  June 28th, 2006, 2:39pm     #59
ignoramoose
Master Sweeper
Baby Momma

Quote:
Originally Posted by pestkaj
I thought the same thing, why on earth would there be so few rooms available?? This is not boding well already. I am so glad I booked it now- I don't want to have to deal with BS if it is full later on. The hotel for this year did book up their rooms at the special rate- but not until like Sept or oct!

If your reservation goes wonky you can stay with me.
  Old  June 28th, 2006, 4:36pm     #60
sassybrat
Master Sweeper

Smile
I just booked a room with 2 double beds and had no problem. She said it was guaranteed and I also got the $109.00 price. She offered me a choice of a double room or king so I would say they are available.

I don't live to far away from that area so I am only going to stay a few days at the hotel.
Closed Thread