Old  November 22nd, 2002, 6:13pm     #1
shygirl
Sweeper

How do I post a new sweep?
Hi!

I've been using this site for awhile and feel bad that I haven't posted any sweeps. I finally found one on MSN shopping called "Fill Your Stocking" that is pretty cool and has some nice prizes, but I don't know how to post it!! I'm a bit on the computer illiterate side!!!! Help, I would love to finally post a new sweep for everyone!!!!. The url is http://www.msnshoppingcontest.ca/. ( I think-see above where I said I was computer illiterate). Thanks.
  Old  November 22nd, 2002, 6:40pm     #2
debmon
Master Sweeper

To enter and to be eligible to win, a person must be a legal resident of Canada (excluding Quebec)

Too bad tho - looks like some nice prizes
  Old  November 22nd, 2002, 7:08pm     #3
gcomstock
Grand Master Sweeper
Founding Member

Thanks for asking...

Learning by doing...

The link that you posted is valid...when you click on it, it accurately opens the window you intended...

So...the only way to learn most stuff is by muddling through it, which means-

* showing up (you're here, hi!)
* giving it a try
* following directions (the info, if you can read English, is "more or less" all here / there)

Since this is an online sweepstakes, go to that forum (New Online Sweepstakes and Contests), and click the big New Thread button in the upper right hand corner. That will start the process.

Note- it helps to have another browser window open at the same time, with the specific sweepstakes you're planning to post, displayed.

Then, you paste in the URL for the main sweepstakes page (eg. the one you already pasted into your query above) and click Continue. ...At this point I might mention that the URL you showed *does* have an error in it, which is the period at the end, but in this particular case that puncuation doesn't prevent the link from working. Oftentimes, though, while posting folks will inadvertantly run a URL into some punctuation or other word, which turns the whole thing into HTML...and a non-functional link.

ANYWAY...after you click Continue, you're taken to a page that might display other existing contests in the database that are similar...or exactly the same...as the one you posted. The purpose here is to avoid duplicates. This is a cooperative effort- while everyone wants to have the largest number of available contests posted...nobody wants to have inaccuarate or duplicate info in our "collective kit bag" so it's the poster's responsibility to *please* make sure they are not posting a dupe.

Another note- one of the reasons that many dupes still make it through, is that people will start out using a different URL. This is because sweeps differ in how they are displayed. So Poster #1 might post the "main" sweepstakes page, as you have. Poster #2 might figure it's appropriate / best to start out with the entry form...and hence the database may or may not recognize it as a dupe. This especially happens with a "main sweep page" is located on the sponsor's website, and the URL reflects that. Hypothetically... www.product.com/sweepstakes/index.html but then when you click to open the actual entry form, the URL might hypothetically be http://www.sweepstakeshostingcompany...uct/entry.html or some such. Does that make sense?

Bottom line is- even if you've been an avid sweeps hound here for months, and religiously read EVERY new contest post, AND have first done a Forum Search (see that search button up dere?) then the first step in posting it is to be carefull that it's not already in there.

Whew...takes more time to write all that gobbledy-gook than just posting a sweepstake.

If yours *is* new, you push continue, and you're taken to Step 3, which is the Add a Sweep Form. This is where you'll see why it was a good idea to have the contest already open in another window. Here you'll copy and paste not only the available links to the main contest page, but also to the rules, etc. Here is where you can copy/paste the prize info, and fill in the particulars, such as eligibility (yours, for instance, is CANADA only), entry frequency etc.

Lots of folks are lazy (like me) and they don't like to bother reading the rules (not me!)...so they might find the process of reading and extracting all the pertinent details concerning the sweepstakes, so as to post it completely and accurately, to be too much of a bother. Yeah, well...folks who don't contribute or continually drag over seaweed or wet wood to the campfire...don't have as much fun in the sing-along, LOL. I guess what I'm saying is...luck matters most, but being an efficient and effective sweeper also means learning to quickly glom on to the important stuff in the rules. Posting new sweeps quickly identifies what's important...because you're asked to paste that info nto the form.

Too much coffee and words. Best advice...just do it, and learn from the process.
  Old  November 22nd, 2002, 7:09pm     #4
gcomstock
Grand Master Sweeper
Founding Member

Debmom and Shygirl-

yes, Canada only...but that doesn't mean that it shouldn't be posted! I post stuff all the time that I'm not eligible for, due to age or geography, and even some stuff I certainly don't care to win (girlie stuff!).

Does it happen at grocery stores in your area, like it does in mine (maybe it's because they double the face value of coupons) : as you're searching the aisles, you'll see where some kind and altruistic soul has left a coupon next to the canned peas? Maybe they don't like peas, or had an extra coupon. Same concept here!
  Old  December 14th, 2002, 11:03am     #5
jvanhala
Junior Sweeper

at what point after posting a new sweep will it become validated?

=========
jv
  Old  December 14th, 2002, 11:51pm     #6
Katie Scarlet
Senior Master Sweeper

As soon as one of the moderators can get to it. Some, unfortunately, never have made it to the validated status and have passed through and expired before it makes it through the process.

We are working hard to see that things get validated so that they will be fully searchable after they have expired as well. But the rules are always added when available. That process is quicker to do then the entire validation process is.

Katie
  Old  December 16th, 2002, 2:00pm     #7
jvanhala
Junior Sweeper

Thanks! now one other thing: What Is The Validation process exactly? Is there a way to add sweep that makes it easier to get it validated?

Also - I wanted to more clearly write the prizing to the sweep I added but it seems it's too late - is there a way to edit?

The sweep I added is at :

http://www.winwithverve.com

muchas gracias.....
JV

=========
jv
  Old  December 16th, 2002, 3:07pm     #8
Katie Scarlet
Senior Master Sweeper

There is a way to speed up the validation process... in a sense.

The add a sweep form is very specific and eay to follow. There are instructions on how to use it to maximize it's posting power. The links area is fairly self explanitory....however, the comment box and the prize description box are free text areas and they need a great deal of adjustment most of the time. If you look at the sweeps that have been validated, you will see that there is a "pattern" or overall format to follow when submitting the information. For example: this sweep - "the Lord Of The Rings: The Two Towers Battle For Middle-earth" Sweepstakes was submitted with this in the prize info area :

PRIZES: GRAND PRIZE (1 will be awarded): Grand Prize consists of one (1) Dolby Digital Home Theatre System (including one (1) each of the following: Dolby Digital receiver, DVD player and set of 5.1 speakers). The approximate retail value ("ARV") of the Grand Prize is $1,500.00.
FIRST PRIZE (5 will be awarded): Each First Prize consists of a $100 New Line Cinema On-Line Shopping Spree; subject to redemption restrictions posted at www.lotrshop.com (the ARV in the aggregate is $500.00).
SECOND PRIZE (10 will be awarded): Each Second Prize consists of one (1) The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring Extended Version DVD Gift Set. The ARV of each Second Prize is $79.92 (the ARV in the aggregate is $799.20).
THIRD PRIZE (20 will be awarded): Each Third Prize consists of one (1) The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring Electronic Arts PS2 Game. The ARV of each Third Prize is $50.00 (the ARV in the aggregate is $1,000.00).
FOURTH PRIZE (10 will be awarded): Each Fourth Prize consists of one (1) The Lord of the Rings Chess Set. The ARV of each Fourth Prize is $39.95 (the ARV in the aggregate is $399.50).
FIFTH PRIZE (50 will be awarded): Each Fifth Prize consists of one (1) The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers poster. The ARV of each Fifth Prize is $15.00 (the ARV in the aggregate is $750.00).
The total ARV of all prizes to be awarded in this Sweepstakes is $4,948.70.

After it was checked and validated it looked like this -

Grand Prize: Dolby Digital Home Theatre System (including one each of the following: Dolby Digital receiver, DVD player and set of 5.1 speakers) (ARV $1,500).
First Prize (5): $100 New Line Cinema On-Line Shopping Spree (ARV $100).
Second Prize (10): The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring Extended Version DVD Gift Set (ARV $79.92).
Third Prize (20): The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring Electronic Arts PS2 Game (ARV $50).
Fourth Prize (10): The Lord of the Rings Chess Set (ARV $39.95).
Fifth Prize (50): The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers poster (ARV $15).

All the extra stuff was removed to make the lisiting "scannable" with the eye. Since the rules are readily available by clicking the archived rules link in the detail line of the sweep lisiting, the actual listing can be cut down quite a bit. For example, if the prize is a trip, we can assume that airfare/hotel is included and would only mention when it is not included. That helps to shorten the listings a lot.

Those are just examples of how a sweep is managed once it has been submitted. We also check to make sure that the number of entries, dates and times, entry form/rules links, and eligiblity has been stated correctly in the listing. We try to verify all the information (that's the checking part) first. Then we place it in it's proper category (Deomestic Vacation or Audio Video... what ever applies) and then we validate it so it will then appear under it's correct category in the groups of listings.

Some sweeps and some rules are easier to decode than others are.... so some take a bit longer to go through the whole process than others do.

My best suggestion is two fold: read the instructions that Brent put up for using the add a sweep form and then read through several/many of the sweeps that have been validated to get a clear picture on just how they will be edited eventually. The closer your submission follows the general format, the faster your submission is likely to be validated.

Hope that answers your question!

Katie
  Old  August 20th, 2003, 2:13am     #9
littlebit870
Master Sweeper
Founding Member

Ms Dee Dee
"It is not your aptitude, but your attitude, that determines your altitude."
- Zig Ziglar