Old  June 29th, 2006, 12:09pm     #16
CAmom
Senior Master Sweeper

Here's my plan. Tomorrow I am going to the credit union at my work and setting up a savings account where they take $50 out of each paycheck. We have approx 48 weeks til the next convention so that's 24 paychecks give or take. That has me saving $1200 by next June. If for some reason I had to pilfer some out for an emergency I can put some from my tax return in. That's my plan anyway we'll see how it works out.

Bless your heart! You don't realize you are batsh!t crazy do you?!
  Old  June 29th, 2006, 1:24pm     #17
Dave W.
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAmom
Here's my plan. Tomorrow I am going to the credit union at my work and setting up a savings account where they take $50 out of each paycheck. We have approx 48 weeks til the next convention so that's 24 paychecks give or take. That has me saving $1200 by next June. If for some reason I had to pilfer some out for an emergency I can put some from my tax return in. That's my plan anyway we'll see how it works out.
Great plan!
This is exactly what I've done and it works! I've paid for two conventions this way.
I had $30 taken out of every bi-weekly check for well over a year plus birthday money, christmas money, rolled change, Pepsi free ride checks, etc. It is very do-able.
Good luck!
  Old  June 29th, 2006, 6:58pm     #18
CARAN52
Master Sweeper

Also can set up a change jar
I have set up a change jar and when I pay for anything I use dollar bills. All of the change goes into a jar and then when it gets on the heavy side I put it in a special savings account in the bank. It has worked out well for me too.
  Old  June 29th, 2006, 8:02pm     #19
hebsmimi
Sweeper

Convention
I spent about $900, includes airfare from NY, room, food, etc. I shared a room with a friend, so saved half of the room fee. We went a day early and stayed an extra day, so that added to the expenses too. I did not see anyone with children, and definitely not pets. There was a banquet where I saw every kind of dress from cocktail dresses to slacks on the women. Men ranged from suits to casual. No shorts, though.

It was my first convention and I had a lot of fun. I traveled with 5 other friends, though, who had gotten me into sweeping in the first place.

Haven't decided yet for next year, but leaning toward going. 2007 is one I really want to go to - San Antonio!
  Old  June 29th, 2006, 11:09pm     #20
ronthesweeper
Senior Sweeper

It's also a vacation, put aside some funds for fun.
  Old  June 29th, 2006, 11:18pm     #21
bewitched
Senior Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARAN52
I have set up a change jar and when I pay for anything I use dollar bills. All of the change goes into a jar and then when it gets on the heavy side I put it in a special savings account in the bank. It has worked out well for me too.
That's what I do as well. We have an old glass bear jar. When the coins make it to his ears we cash it in. It's amazing how much we're able to save. Any money ebay money I make also gets earmarked for vacation/sweeps convention.

With an early enough start it's doable and SO worth it.

Old  June 30th, 2006, 4:16am     #22
mdnblaster
Senior Sweeper

Sigh, I'll just have to wait for that day FAR off in the future when one of these conventions actually get over to the Northwest. Sheesh, nobody likes Seattle's 70+ degree, sunny, summer days.
  Old  June 30th, 2006, 5:31am     #23
VALENTINE
Master Sweeper

2008 Convention in San Antonio?! Where is that information at? I must have missed that in the forums....off to search

Old  June 30th, 2006, 7:51am     #24
sweeps aku
Master Sweeper

The 2008 convention info will not be released until the 2007 convention is held. All that was deceided was that it will be in San Antonio.

LUCK & LOVE!
  Old  June 30th, 2006, 3:32pm     #25
tv123
Gone Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfacey
Giiiirl.... All I can tell you is leave that man at home or what ever you do - for Gods sake, don't let him out of your sight!!!