Old  July 7th, 2003, 12:49pm     #1
MrDave
Gone Camping

Question How much do you make per hour sweeping?
I averaged my winnings across a gereral guess of the average time I spend daily entering sweeps and I came up with about $9 an hour so far paid back just on the time I enter contests.

I think this isn't too bad - but I lucked out with a decent win recently - otherwise the number would be far lower.

I used about 1 hour a day for 5 days a week as sweeping time.

Anyone else care to take a stab at it?
  Old  July 7th, 2003, 1:04pm     #2
donnagirl1964
Senior Sweeper

Gracious mine would be more like .09 an hour. I spend 3-4 hours sweeping a day on good days and atleast 2 hours on busy days. But I love just cruising through the dailies and entering the ones I like. Of course I've only been doing it for a few months now.

2004 Wins:
4 Hardback Books "The Warriors", 8 PF Wallets, Roy Rogers Calendar, Rodeo Tickets, Scooby Doo Mini Poster, Travel Mug, Hat from Netscape, Lip Gloss, 2 tickets to the Great Southern Motorcycle Show (local), 14 Ring Tones from Slim Jim, 1 Music Download from Slim Jim, Barbie Package, 3 Family Books, 50Cent DVD, Notebook, Aerosmith Tickets

2003 Wins:
Trip to Hollywood to meet Will Smith and Jada Pinkett Smith, Luggae, Computer Supplies, Lamp.
  Old  July 7th, 2003, 1:10pm     #3
dwndrgn
Master Sweeper

Just averaged for this year so far....16 cents an hour. Woo hoo, I'm rich!

My blog: http://www.dragonashes.com
  Old  July 7th, 2003, 1:22pm     #4
Heather
Master Sweeper
Moderator/Editor
Fligirl

Wow! that's great! I dont think mine would equate to much per hour at all... maybe a few cents, but then again, I havent had a big win for a while. So, we'll see.

Human beings, by changing the inner attitudes of their minds, can change the outer aspects of their lives.
  Old  July 7th, 2003, 1:30pm     #5
noelleray
Senior Master Sweeper

hmmm
have to add up the wins and divide(math was never strong with me.lol) in the past maybe a few cents a hour,but i have had a bit of a winning streak lately
  Old  July 7th, 2003, 2:09pm     #6
jenssequa
Master Sweeper

Smile
ok..averaging, time, velocity and wind speed in entering contests....adding in the geometric pressure and the summer solstice dividing by the barimetric pressure of the local landfill...I would say my net pay sweeping is..hm....

jack squat ...

(well there was that Sartgento Cheese awhile back)

but the high hopes make it worth marchin' on!!!!!!!

Old  July 7th, 2003, 2:14pm     #7
meek1643
Senior Master Sweeper

well
Lets see since I do most of my entering at work, quite a bit.

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else."
  Old  July 7th, 2003, 2:22pm     #8
Balayeur
Grand Master Sweeper
Founding Member

What do I make per hour ....
Hmmnnn, ( when I finish, I havta pay them... )
  Old  July 7th, 2003, 2:23pm     #9
chinchilla
Senior Master Sweeper
Senior Editor

Mine's not bad -- a REEEEALLLLY rough estimate of sweeping since January, 1 hour per day x 180 days, and about $2800 in winnings = $15.55/hour.

That includes radio wins, and I spend all day listening to the radio, so maybe that would make it a whole lot lower.

Calculating it makes me feel a little guilty since I have part-time work I can do at my leisure which pays more than that, but sweeping is so much more fun than "real" work!
  Old  July 7th, 2003, 2:34pm     #10
shada7840
Senior Sweeper

I do my sweeping pro bono.

Let's go exploring!

2003 wins - Guitar Center Queens of the Stone Age CD/Staples NFL Prize Pack/Toon Disney backpack/Guiness putting cup/Pepsi Challenge DVD player/Jaegermeister Schechter guitar autographedby Slayer, Grand Prize/Rugrats Go Wild Prize Pack/Cartoon Network Star Wars pack/(stay tuned)
  Old  July 7th, 2003, 2:44pm     #11
suzannek1
Master Sweeper
Senior Editor

Quote:
Originally posted by shada7840
I do my sweeping pro bono.
ROFL!!! That's the description I was looking for!!!

(I'm afraid if I figure out how much time, how little actual $ returned - I might have to quit sweeping - can't do THAT!!)

Old  July 7th, 2003, 2:47pm     #12
lakegirl25
Master Sweeper

I'm with Shada7840! Definitely pro bono for me too!

My payment is keeping my dreams alive and possible!

Cheers!

Joanna

lakegirl25
  Old  July 7th, 2003, 2:50pm     #13
Hhhyyyddd
Grand Master Sweeper

i couldn't even tell you how much i make per hour working, much less sweeping. i don't look at it that way anyhow, it's a hobby- if i was looking for a certain rate of return, i'd spend more time at my job.
  Old  July 7th, 2003, 2:51pm     #14
Gomez
Master Sweeper

This is tough since the stats will be skewed. Those few lucky persons who win substantial prizes will show decent returns, while the vast majority of us who have yet to win something worth over $1000 will be lucky to be earning pennies an hour.

Kind of like the lottery: the payback is approximately 50% meaning half of the revenues from tickets get paid back as prizes. However, there are a zillion tickets sold and only the occasional multi million dollar jackpot. The lucky person who wins a jackpot gets an enormous payback, while millions of others get far, far less than the aggregate 50% payback. In other words, if I never win the jackpot I might only see a 5% payback.

My point is that those of you lucky enough to be showing $5-15 per hour "earnings" on sweeping are doing so because you were lucky enough to win a big prize or two. Most of us will never get anywhere near that ... but it's sure fun trying.

What would truly be interesting is to get a decent sample size, say all 10,000 O-S members, and run stats on them. Only then would we start to get a true picture of how profitable sweeping really is. I'm afraid I wouldn't like the answer, but again I sure enjoy trying to win the big one.

Wins since Fall 2002: Rogaine binoculars; passes to "Harry Potter 2" preview; Chi-Chi's
Salsa; Life Savers; Bosch spark plug poster; Lance Snacks T-shirt; Amoeba Homegrown
concert tickets; Payday racing mini-helmet, mini-hood and 2 T-shirts; Suave 2in1 shampoo
and hair gel; Matrix PC videogame; $5 eBay GC; Sony music download; $5 BP gas card.
  Old  July 7th, 2003, 2:58pm     #15
Balayeur
Grand Master Sweeper
Founding Member

How do you place an amount on the following : fun-hobby; meeting interesting, varied people; making friends; learning new info; freebies; sharing; support; rejoicing when someone wins a ' biggie ! ' etc. ( not to mention, afew Grand Prizes, I've won 3 . )