Old  June 16th, 2011, 9:23pm     #1
willdebbie
Senior Sweeper

validation question...
Can anyone answer a couple q's on validation. I'm just curious.
what are they validating ie: end date, proper rules. entry?
I know the members are volunteering this service. I have been finding a lot of sweeps with the wrong entry, wrong end date/time and so forth. Not to any fault of the mods (?) but if the sponsor is using false rules and wrong end dates, it seems the poor people are wasting their time validating for no reason.
plz don't take this as a blame game, I'm just curios what the process and end result is
  Old  June 16th, 2011, 9:28pm     #2
Karen_246
Grand Master Sweeper
Senior Moderator/Editor
PITA

What makes you think that sponsors are using false dates or false rules? We edit them to the best of our ability from the information that is provided. Sometimes giveaways are extended and sometimes they end early. If that is the case then we count on the members who are entering them everyday to hit the report button and report them so that they can be checked out.

Just because a date or time is changed doesn't mean the sponsor is supplying a fake giveaway. They just chose to end it or extend it, they are the sponsors, they can do that.

"Once we choose HOPE, EVERYTHING is POSSIBLE" ~ Christopher Reeve
Come check out my blog, please follow if you would like. Looking to get the word out about your company, etsy shop, etc, please give me a shout as I am actively seeking sponsors for reviews and giveaways.
  Old  June 16th, 2011, 11:05pm     #3
Curr4001
Master Sweeper

Along that same line I see lots of sweeps that are put in the wrong time slot. I see GMT (Great Britian) listed in the Eastern time as well as HST (Hawaii)
One blog clearly states their contests end at 8 pm PST but the the time is rarely listed.
  Old  June 16th, 2011, 11:39pm     #4
willdebbie
Senior Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen_246 View Post
What makes you think that sponsors are using false dates or false rules? We edit them to the best of our ability from the information that is provided. Sometimes giveaways are extended and sometimes they end early. If that is the case then we count on the members who are entering them everyday to hit the report button and report them so that they can be checked out.

Just because a date or time is changed doesn't mean the sponsor is supplying a fake giveaway. They just chose to end it or extend it, they are the sponsors, they can do that.
I did not say anything about a fake giveaway. I'm curious what the process for validating the sweep is ie; Do you read the rules , email the sponsor. What counts as a sweep being validated. I should have said INCORRECT RULES AND DATES not FAKE. My apologies. I did not mean for anyone to feel defensive. I would just like to understand the features of this site.
  Old  June 17th, 2011, 12:58am     #5
gitpicker
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by willdebbie View Post
I did not say anything about a fake giveaway. I'm curious what the process for validating the sweep is ie; Do you read the rules , email the sponsor. What counts as a sweep being validated. I should have said INCORRECT RULES AND DATES not FAKE. My apologies. I did not mean for anyone to feel defensive. I would just like to understand the features of this site.
The rules rule when it come to sweepstakes.
  Old  June 17th, 2011, 3:42am     #6
gcomstock
Grand Master Sweeper
Founding Member

When they validate sweeps they carefully check the rules posted at the contest's site and make sure the listing here at OLS conforms to that. They also often re-write prize descriptions to conform to the standard practice here (eg. if the prize is "a trip" airfare is assumed to be included; if it's not included they call that out).

Many times the sponsors don't run the contests in conformance with their own rules and many times folks who post sweeps here make errors or omissions. Far less often imho do the validated sweeps have errors that the editors overlooked.
  Old  June 17th, 2011, 9:07am     #7
willdebbie
Senior Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcomstock View Post
When they validate sweeps they carefully check the rules posted at the contest's site and make sure the listing here at OLS conforms to that. They also often re-write prize descriptions to conform to the standard practice here (eg. if the prize is "a trip" airfare is assumed to be included; if it's not included they call that out).

Many times the sponsors don't run the contests in conformance with their own rules and many times folks who post sweeps here make errors or omissions. Far less often imho do the validated sweeps have errors that the editors overlooked.
Thanks-
I asked b/c I WAS getting a conflict in info. I believe if you want accurate you go to the source. You ladies obviously would have the correct asnwer.
I'v been told it validates the site exist, the sweep exist.
Alot has changed with the site since 2002 Again Thank You
  Old  June 25th, 2011, 11:14am     #8
jldbrooklyn
Senior Sweeper

My question is similiar. Some new sweeps seem to be validated and catagorized ritght away and others remain unedited for days or weeks. Is there an editor on duty at all times or is it random?
  Old  June 29th, 2011, 9:37am     #9
jldbrooklyn
Senior Sweeper

Can a mod or editor answer this question. Some new sweeps seem to be edited right away and others disappear in the crowd. Is there a better time to post sweeps? Should we alert someone when we do?

Last edited by jldbrooklyn; June 29th, 2011 at 9:49am. Reason: punctuation