Old  June 20th, 2011, 8:59am     #31
thealfa
Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankyyanky1 View Post
I also have to warn you that the network can monitor your phone data usage and does, and if they catch u tehtering without the plan they will charge you for all the data you use I have seen it happen
Not sure they can monitor how if a phone is connected to a laptop to tether? I'm sure they can monitor how much data is being used but my data plan is unlimited. I'm the only person using my connectivity so I don't think there will be excess or out of the ordinary usage.
  Old  June 20th, 2011, 10:29am     #32
thealfa
Sweeper

PDANET 3.0 now allows you to hide tether usage
Cool?

PDANET is removed from the Android market but can be downloaded from their website. I don't even remember the steps I took but something like I installed it on the phone, USB'ed the phone to the laptop, uploaded what was downloaded in the phone to the laptop, then back to the phone again. Now I have internet access. Faster than I thought. It feels faster than what a 3G speed is. Seriously. Well it's 3.0. I can't believe this is free? Well it should be!

I hope to get no phone damage or surprises like eating out my minutes...we'll see!
  Old  June 20th, 2011, 10:33am     #33
thealfa
Sweeper

Easy Tether - any good?
A product called Easy Tether seem like PDANET's competition.

the android market has a "lite" version for free download. To get the full version it's for $9.99, they said cheaper than PDANET. Anyone else tried this? I'm using PDANET for free. Nothing is cheaper than free. So Easy Tether's ad is a bit outdated?
  Old  June 20th, 2011, 10:38am     #34
thealfa
Sweeper

PDANET and USB debugging
when I installed and use PDANET, one of the steps was to turn on USB Debugging on my phone, could this be the reason why tether usage is undetectable? According to PDANET version 3.0, tethering can't be detected...

Another feature on my phone was "Allow Mock Location". Just curious what this means. What happens if I turn this on? It's off by default. Though the installation process of PDANET never mentioned anything about it. Just curious what the "Allow Mock Location" feature of my phone is really for.
  Old  June 20th, 2011, 10:50am     #35
thealfa
Sweeper

PDANET is not really free
After the trial expires, it can still be used for free, except it blocks secure websites, unless you upgrade to the full version. Still not bad! I will upgrade soon!
  Old  June 22nd, 2011, 1:47am     #36
thealfa
Sweeper

phone can't be used while using PDANET while connected to the internet.
My brother called me while my phone is plugged into the laptop using the PDANET to use the internet. Either the internet signal got slow or it got cut-off. I guess this is a way to block any "signal" so the service provider for the phone won't notice anything suspicious? Not sure what would happen if I didn't pick up the phone, would the internet connection not been cut off?
  Old  June 22nd, 2011, 2:44am     #37
LuckyPenny
Senior Master Sweeper

Gezz and I thought Facebook and blogging was mind blowing.

This just put all that into orbit for me .

How do you guys understand al this new technology?

VENGEANCE IS MINE
  Old  July 7th, 2011, 5:29am     #38
thealfa
Sweeper

been using PDANET...
I was paying about $101 steady a month for my phone service, but ever since I started using PDANET, it became $106. Just something to wonder...
  Old  July 7th, 2011, 9:38am     #39
crankyyanky1
Senior Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by thealfa View Post
Not sure they can monitor how if a phone is connected to a laptop to tether? I'm sure they can monitor how much data is being used but my data plan is unlimited. I'm the only person using my connectivity so I don't think there will be excess or out of the ordinary usage.
I work in Tech support for VZW they absolutely can tell if the phone is tethering or if it is coming directly from the phone. Phone browser usage shows up differently in the network. There are too many people to monitor so the network will signal when a phone is using a lot of data and then the network checks it. This is the reason all the carriers are going away from unlimited plans. I'm not sure what PDA.net and other programs are using now to try to block usage from being noticed but the network is aware of what they do and counter act it that is why they are constantly updating their products.

Kim