Old  September 24th, 2010, 10:44am     #1
sparklyred
Master Sweeper

Do you think people bid on their own items for ebay?
I am bidding on something and I see the other bids are coming back with zero feedback people. And it's not just one but 3 bidders are newbie's. So I am wondering if people make accounts to drive up the price of their own items. I'm feeling like this may be happening with this one.

Lisa
  Old  September 24th, 2010, 10:50am     #2
TawnyNY
Senior Master Sweeper

Yes, they've been doing that since the beginning of ebay. Or they have their friends do it.

That's why I never bid on an auction, I only do the ones with Buy It Now buttons.
  Old  September 24th, 2010, 11:11am     #3
WillowSnap
Master Sweeper

Some jerk (at our bar) was bragging about always bidding on his own stuff, until he got busted. I think he said he got suspended.

Speaking of Ebay: I get aggravated when I sell an item, and the buyer doesn't leave feedback. I always leave it for them, and would hope they do the same, but most never do. Sheesh, I've sold like 50+ items, and only 29 people left feedback? Half the pop tarts wont even answer my emails.

AND Paypal wont release funds until positive feedback is received? or until my feedback rating is raised? Hold your funds for 21 days?

Blah (sorry bout the rant)
  Old  September 24th, 2010, 11:16am     #4
ShesAnAngel
Master Sweeper

Exclamation
Well only crummy people bid on their items, I've been selling for years and of course I would never do that! Besides, they will get caught and suspended, I can't imagine that could go on for very long. Geesh! That's one reason to snipe bid which is what I usually do, otherwise you will get bid way up. Regarding the feedback lol, I'm missing hundreds fyi, hundreds and I always leave feedback.

"I've been dead before. I got over it."
  Old  September 24th, 2010, 11:21am     #5
lassss
Master Sweeper

Yep they do it all the time, so I bid only what I am willing to pay for it and if they up it, they can get stuck with it too lol

PR Proud, My Wins
  Old  September 24th, 2010, 11:24am     #6
Glitterspyro
Master Sweeper

Yes they do. I do not, I would not want it done to me. I agree with you greeneyes37, feedback is getting less and less.

http://stores.ebay.com/Salvage-N-Stuffs?_rdc=1 For your salvage needs.
  Old  September 24th, 2010, 11:31am     #7
talin710
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeneyes37 View Post
Some jerk (at our bar) was bragging about always bidding on his own stuff, until he got busted. I think he said he got suspended.

Speaking of Ebay: I get aggravated when I sell an item, and the buyer doesn't leave feedback. I always leave it for them, and would hope they do the same, but most never do. Sheesh, I've sold like 50+ items, and only 29 people left feedback? Half the pop tarts wont even answer my emails.

AND Paypal wont release funds until positive feedback is received? or until my feedback rating is raised? Hold your funds for 21 days?

Blah (sorry bout the rant)
Well said! And just so you know, as long as you use a shipping method that has tracking, you can call paypal and they will release funds as soon as you can prove that it was delivered.

Just call paypal. They will absolutely release your funds. Most people don't know this. But it is the honest truth.
  Old  September 24th, 2010, 11:35am     #8
Fflur
Master Sweeper

Yes it's called Shilling and NO Ebay doesn't care about it and does nothing to stop it.

When life hands you a Jeffrey you have to rub a furry wall.
  Old  September 24th, 2010, 12:24pm     #9
retrobruce
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fflur View Post
Yes it's called Shilling and NO Ebay doesn't care about it and does nothing to stop it.
Hardly.

It is against eBay's rules and is illegal.
They work hard to stop it from happening.
They take action when they identify it happening.

Do they always catch it? Not at all. It's very difficult to catch and prove.

What you said is like saying that Wal-Mart does nothing to stop shoplifters, since it still happens without some people being caught. Not true in the slightest.

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character. ~ Martin Luther King, Jr
  Old  September 24th, 2010, 2:20pm     #10
Stephen
Senior Master Sweeper

Yeah, they do it all the time, unfortunately. I don't and never would.
  Old  September 24th, 2010, 2:43pm     #11
Sweethart79
Grand Master Sweeper

If you suspect it...report it. They have an entire department that reviews EVERY SINGLE CLAIM of shilling because as someone else said...it's illegal. They give a 14 day suspension make you go through a tutorial on bid shilling (with a test at the end lol) at first then after that I think they terminate the account if you're caught again. They also catch people who have friends bidding for them. They're really good....report it!