Old  March 23rd, 2010, 10:42pm     #1
mzmac510
Master Sweeper

Woman Wins 9 million doallr lawsuit against 'other woman'
A woman has won 9 million from her husband's mistress after successfully suing her for stealing him.

Cynthia Shackelford, 60, told the North Carolina court that she gave up her teacher career to raise their children and support her husband Allan's legal career, the Daily Telegraph reported.

Using a rarely used law, Mrs Shackelford claimed her husband had been happy and in love with her before his mistress, Anne Lundquist, 49, pursued a relationship with him.

After a two day trial the jury awarded Mrs Shackelford 9 million after she proved alienation of affection, a legal term for adultery, as well as causing severe emotional distress.

Ms Lundquist, who now lives with Mr Shackelford, said she plans to appeal the decision, claiming she met him after he had separated from Mrs Shackelford.

North Carolina is one of few states which allows people to sue over infidelity.

While still married, the Shackelfords have been separated for five years.
  Old  March 24th, 2010, 2:33am     #2
hopeful_winnings
Master Sweeper

That is nuts!
I do have to ask though...do you have a link to the article? Thx! :)
  Old  March 24th, 2010, 2:58am     #3
fastfreddie1959
Grand Master Sweeper

Arrow Yup....
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopeful_winnings View Post
That is nuts!
I do have to ask though...do you have a link to the article? Thx! :)
http://tinyurl.com/ykv33bm

On a video....

Old  March 24th, 2010, 4:20am     #4
MrsM
Grand Master Sweeper

Good for her!!
  Old  March 24th, 2010, 6:04am     #5
braveheart
Master Sweeper

That is ridiculous. How could his affection be worth $9 million dollars? He can't be that good of a lover.
  Old  March 24th, 2010, 7:47am     #6
annulla
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
The jury awarded Cynthia Shackelford, 60, money for alienation of affections, criminal conversation (legal speak for adultery) and intentionally or recklessly causing severe emotional distress. North Carolina remains one of a few states that allow someone to sue the person alleged to have interfered in a marriage — called alienation of affections.

More than 200 such cases are filed statewide in an average year, according to the Rosen law firm in Raleigh. The firm cites several high-dollar cases over the years, but none near the mark of the Shackelford-Lundquist case. In 1997, separate juries awarded $1 million in an Alamance County case and $1.2 million in a Forsyth County case. In 2001, a jury awarded $1.4 million to a distraught husband in Mecklenburg County. On appeal, the court reversed the decision on $910,000 of the award but left about $500,000 for the husband.

Collecting money in such awards can be difficult but is not impossible, said Will Jordan, the Greensboro attorney who represented Cynthia Shackelford. “We may not get the full $9 million, but I’m hopeful that we’ll collect a substantial sum of money,” he said. “In addition to just collecting the judgment, there’s a certain amount of validation or vindication that goes with having a jury acknowledge that you were done wrong.”

Cynthia Shackelford, who eventually moved to Raleigh, wanted others to know about her case. “We would like for people to respect the sanctity of marriage,” Cynthia Shackelford said. “We wanted a number high enough that it would keep other people from ... going after other married spouses.”

http://www.news-record.com/content/2...llion_judgment

Hey, wait a minute, I thought it was same-sex unions that threatened the sanctity of marriage?

The Dairy-Related Crime Files
  Old  March 24th, 2010, 11:58am     #7
Globug_47
Grand Master Sweeper

While she'll never see a dime of the $9M, it certainly does send out a powerful message, doesn't it?

Good for her!

Old  March 24th, 2010, 12:00pm     #8
secular
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globug_47 View Post
While she'll never see a dime of the $9M, it certainly does send out a powerful message, doesn't it?

Good for her!
This.
  Old  March 24th, 2010, 1:29pm     #9
hopeful_winnings
Master Sweeper

Thumbs up
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfreddie1959 View Post
Thanks FF!
  Old  March 24th, 2010, 3:14pm     #10
brwe
Master Sweeper

Wish we had that law here in Texas. But ex is suing the other woman (his ex mistrss) anyway because she has some of his stuff (worth a little money, but not $9mil) and won't let him come get it. No matter which one ultimately loses I will get a little satisfaction. I wonder if I should have sued her over the myspace page she put up to harrass me. She used her own real name and location, my real name, and made veiled threats. horrible insults (the woman has never met me, and I have never spoken to or emailed her or anything) and used some vulgar language. Her site was not protected; it was designed so anyone could read it. Two of her three friends were her teenage daughter (mother of the year material for setting an example like that.) and a cat. The other was probably her sister; ex says she has no friends. All I did was report all her violations to myspace and they made her take down all the personal references, threats, and bad words. A mean part of me sometimes wishes I had reported her page to her employer, but I didn't and will probably be glad I took the high road.

Part of me hopes ex loses because this woman had kicked him out on two previous occasions that I knew of (maybe more that he didn't tell me) and each time she either kept some of his stuff (he had receipts for all of it) or if he got it out she got an attorney to write a letter claiming he had stolen her stuff (most of which he owned before he met her.) He should have learned after the first time to keep his stuff out of her apartment and just stayed there. He was stupid to keep mingling his stuff since he had no intention of making it permanent, and by then he had openly admitted to me that he knew she was bi-polar, along with a few other mental problems and on a lot of medication. He still lives in our house; it is about to go on the market and I will get half of the proceeds, but I can't live in it because he is making the mortgage payments. (No spousal support in Texas; technically there is a law but the way it is set up it has to be pretty much that the ex-spouse agrees to pay it.) He has helped me out a lot financially of his own free will so I am not complaining about that. He should have kept the valuable stuff at the house and just kept some extra clothes and stuff at her place he could carry out with him each morning. Did I mention the woman's daughter "borrowed" his car three times. Ex now uses the word stole, but if he had slept with the keys inside his pillowcase she couldn't have done that. I am not even sure she is old enough to have a license. The kid is a nightmare, but since she has two head cases for parents, I feel for her.
  Old  March 24th, 2010, 5:20pm     #11
HistoryMystery
Grand Master Sweeper

I think it's ridiculous. I know what it's like to see an SO cheat on me and even end up with the other woman, but that's a flaw in the relationship and in HIM. If it wasn't the one girl, it would have been another or another or a whole slew of them.

The problem is with the HUSBAND. Sure, the other woman deserves a round of name-calling if she knew the guy was married and still went after him. But she just happens to be the poster child for their failed marriage. It could have been anyone, and doesn't take a lot of effort on a woman's part if the husband has mentally checked out of the marriage (and the same is true for wives who cheat).