Old  December 6th, 2008, 5:22pm     #1
linela
Sweeper

Received Cashiers Check-----Is it legitimate????
I received a cashiers check for over $1,000. It came via FEDEX Priority Overnight. It has the person's name & address but I do not recognize the name. It had no letter of explanation of any sort. Just the check. Should I deposit it? It is legitimate? Thanks for your help.
  Old  December 6th, 2008, 5:29pm     #2
mynxdog
Master Sweeper

Have the bank check the routing number on the check. Scam checks never have the correct bank routing numbers on them. PS-scam checks usually have a letter of explanation in where-by you are to deposit the check and mail X amount of dollars to X address...so here's to hoping this is a legit check for ya!
  Old  December 7th, 2008, 2:33am     #3
margarita_mama
Grand Master Sweeper

That size of a cash prize would have required an affidavit (at least the IRS requires it from legitimate companies) and I would have to wonder why a cashier's check (with some individual's name and address on it) would be sent, instead of just a regular check with the company's name on it.
Be very careful, but this does not sound like a legitimate win.

My Motherload of Wins
  Old  December 7th, 2008, 3:28am     #4
x704
Master Sweeper

Just a cashier's check, no letter explaining it, by FEDEX overnight priority?
This is weird. Take it to the bank and ask them to check if it's valid.

I hope it's legit!

Jhttp://www.coolsiteoftheday.com/
Here is the thread for funny Captcha codes

This is why Facebook sucks.
  Old  December 7th, 2008, 3:36am     #5
awkward
Master Sweeper
Founding Member

Have you googled the persons name on the check? I agree about checking with the bank. Don't deposit it. 419eater.com has a thread about this type of thing.

"Never let your sense of morals get in the way of doing what's right." - Isaac Asimov -
  Old  December 7th, 2008, 4:00am     #6
barbs
Grand Master Sweeper

It may be that the sender will say, in a few days, "I made a mistake. Please return my money" - which, of course you would have already deposited & would have to repay him from your own money!

A bank will sometimes take weeks before they find out a document isn't any good!!! And, even if you didn't spend the money, the bank would charge YOU any "returned check" fees.

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/4...7749006hm5.gif
  Old  December 7th, 2008, 4:22am     #7
dementeddoll
Senior Master Sweeper

i wouldnt deposit anything in someone elses name!

See my AWESOME wins!!!
  Old  December 7th, 2008, 4:53am     #8
laraedo
Master Sweeper

The check is not in someone elses name, she stated it had the other persons name on it like your personal checks would have your name on them

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...E1/snowman.gif
  Old  December 7th, 2008, 5:07am     #9
netsaver44
Senior Sweeper

Be VERY cautious! My neice was told such a check looked legit by the bank, but it wasn't! You will only know for sure AFTER the bank has processed it and that could take weeks. Just don't spend any of it and if you get any letters saying there was a mistake, send it back, tell them your bank will handle that after it's processed. Sounds like one of the "to good to be true" deals without an "affy". Oh yes, even after my Neice knew it was a scam, they sent her another check by UPS. You might want to check with your local police dept. too. There might be other people getting the same checks and the police might have a case going.
  Old  December 7th, 2008, 8:06am     #10
tauntonlake
Master Sweeper

I'd be wary too. It could be an offshoot of the Nigerian e-mail scams, stepped up to go through the mail now ...

if you feel like, do you want to give us the name of the sender on the check, so we can keep an eye out if this is a scam ?

yeah, and ask the bank. They'll be just as wary as you are and better equipped to check into it.
  Old  December 7th, 2008, 8:29am     #11
reveilletx
Master Sweeper

I agree, if you were not expecting a check from someone and no affy was filled out I would be suspecious. Your bank can help in many ways. They can make a phone call to see if it is legitimate and can send the check for collection for you. Actually, you could send the check for collection yourself if you can get the bank address it is drawn on and the correct wording for the collection letter. It has been to many years since I worked in banks so I don't remember the correct wording myself. Good luck and I hope you do get it resolved.
  Old  December 7th, 2008, 8:42am     #12
Inkyskeeper
Grand Master Sweeper

scam

let the bank and police look at it.

Already at over 32.000 points...won 25.000 a few days ago https://www.superpoints.com/join/AfySHwFdXsWdVjyK6ransDzR71A
  Old  December 7th, 2008, 8:55am     #13
Laurie
Master Sweeper

I'm just curious why it came FedEx Priority overnight. I have received scam 'checks' through regular mail, never FedEx. Prob. scam, but will be interested to see how this turns out.
  Old  December 7th, 2008, 9:00am     #14
LuckyFred
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurie View Post
I'm just curious why it came FedEx Priority overnight. I have received scam 'checks' through regular mail, never FedEx. Prob. scam, but will be interested to see how this turns out.
That's what I was thinking too. It seems kind of odd for a scammer to pay that much to try to cheat someone.

Try googling the address on the check and see if it's a fulfillment company. I hope it's a win, but be careful!
  Old  December 7th, 2008, 2:25pm     #15
MShopper63
Grand Master Sweeper

Good Luck, I sure hope it's legit