Old  May 10th, 2005, 5:40pm     #1
JarnocanME
Senior Master Sweeper

Red face Postcard sweeps/ mailing postcards
I used to enter postcard sweeps but haven't for quite a while.
Can you use/mail the 3 by 5 index cards? Also if you mail the larger index cards, can you still use postcard stamps?
I forgot and figured this was the easiest way to find out. Thanks!

Old  May 10th, 2005, 9:49pm     #2
susan1215
Senior Master Sweeper

No you can't mail the 3x5 index cards without an envelope as they are too small. I wouldn't try to mail the larger idex card. I get my postcards prestampled from the Post office. I think they are .23. They aren't pretty but they do the job.
  Old  May 10th, 2005, 10:05pm     #3
JarnocanME
Senior Master Sweeper

thanks, I actually forgot! I remember using #10 enveloes but I thought I did use some just index cards, but are probably right. The ones from the post office are a good idea. Have to spend the money anyway, but you save by not buying cards.

Old  May 10th, 2005, 11:15pm     #4
tawneej
Master Sweeper

As Susan said, 3x5 cards have to go in an envelope. I do use the larger 4x6 index cards in fluorescent colors and they mail fine as a postcard. Keep in mind the maximum size you can mail with a 23-cent postcard stamp is 6 inches long by 4-1/4 inches high. I also write my entry info (name, address, ZIP, phone, age, etc.) on the opposite side with the opposite orientation. I found if I write it on a large index card the "natural" way, it sometimes is accidentally read by the postal machines as if it's being mailed TO me instead of FROM me. So I write the "mail to" address in landscape form and my entry info in portrait orientation.

Good luck!
  Old  May 10th, 2005, 11:40pm     #5
Pansy
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tawneej
As Susan said, 3x5 cards have to go in an envelope. I do use the larger 4x6 index cards in fluorescent colors and they mail fine as a postcard. Keep in mind the maximum size you can mail with a 23-cent postcard stamp is 6 inches long by 4-1/4 inches high. I also write my entry info (name, address, ZIP, phone, age, etc.) on the opposite side with the opposite orientation. I found if I write it on a large index card the "natural" way, it sometimes is accidentally read by the postal machines as if it's being mailed TO me instead of FROM me. So I write the "mail to" address in landscape form and my entry info in portrait orientation.

Good luck!
Thanks, great idea since several of my postcards have been read wrong and returned.
  Old  May 11th, 2005, 12:56am     #6
greensthings
Gone Camping

Location: in the Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest (wisconsin)
use 4x6 or larger and fill them out like this (seems to work best with sweeps and post office)
Hint..if you do not have any postcards on hand, cut out the side of a cereal box (to correct size), and write on the inside (the plain unprinted side)

Old  May 11th, 2005, 6:34am     #7
JarnocanME
Senior Master Sweeper

Thumbs up thank you!
thank you so much!!!! I was launching a post card campaign and was afraid to tell folks the wrong info!!! Good advice, thanls for the graphic. This is my blog if you want to know more about it.

http://jarnocan.blogspot.com/

I also wonder, if so many folks are entering sweeps on-line if the few snail mail ones might actually be a bit easier to win, and the opposite true with on-line ones. Ya never know
. That is sort of how on-line dating was at first. There seemed to be soooo many guys comapared to gals, It was like fishing in a barrel. glad I hooked mine, I don't think I'd have the patience for it know.